Beginning Vale Tudo Advice Needed

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Fluffy Wabbit, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Terry, if your comments were right on par, I wouldn't have had to step in in the first place!

2. Cain

Cain New Member

You mean stomp in?

Sorry, could'nt resist! :D

|Cain|

3. totality

totality New Member

i WASN"T referring to you...this is, after all, not just 'make fun of the a$$ time' on MAP, it's someone asking a question, and me replying.
    i suggest that you...
    LEARN TO SPELL. :D
    um...punching is still one of the most effect techniques in unarmed combat. case in point--sakuraba vs. silva, saku vs. silva, and again and again and again :D
    and yes, i fight many people who are of different size and shape, and anyone who tries to fight with only one type of style (i.e. pure grappling) will be severely beaten by those who cross-train. hell, even the gracies cross-train now, but still have a tough time these days. i'd like to see you tell vitor belfort that punching is ineffective...or come here to wyoming and tell me :D

shooting isn't that freaking easy in vale tudo. EVERYONE in vt at least knows how to sprawl, and often a successful sprawl ends in poor position for the person who took the shot. and you can't just 'duck a punch' all the time. i was never talking about boxing, i was speaking of vale tudo. the stance and movement are very different. if i'm throwing a punch at someone they won't be able to just duck it and shoot...and if they can duck the first punch, i usually catch them with the next 3+a knee :D

4. Floorismyfriend

Floorismyfriend New Member

If your thinking about the vitor vs wanderlei fight which was probably one of the biggest flukes in the history of ufc.
    Watch the liddel vs vitor fight instead which was a more well rounded fight.
    Vitor couldnt even get close enough to get a good punch in.
    Even when he did get clsoe enough to punch he chose to go for liddels body and brought him down easily.
    Vitor could have won the match but he let liddel get up on the fence when he almost had the full mount.
    terry mathes plz explain how i am uneducated?

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  5. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

If you can't punch you probably can't take a punch or defend one. If you can't take or properly defend a punch your a gonner. Learn to punch.

6. Floorismyfriend

I never said I couldnt punch.
    I am actually a pretty decent boxer.
    I go to a boxing gym regularly.
    Good exercise.
    But boxing is alot different from a real street fight.
    Like i said i only punch when i have a good position like a full mount or rear mount.

7. totality

totality New Member

{Kgirl: Inflamatory post deleted}

and yes, i've seen both fights. and no, i never referred to that fight. i seem to recall saying SAKURABA VS. SILVA!!!! and there is no doubt in my mind that saku is just about tops in the world as far as groundwork is concerned. silva kills him on a regular basis, anymore. and as far as belfort goes...i was thinking more along the lines of when he DESTROYED tra telligman, among other people. the man uses almost all hand strikes.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2003
  8. Floorismyfriend

Wow mr internet tough guy your really hurting my feelings.
    I didnt know coolness was a factor in this forumn.
    I gues you didnt see how bad vitor got owned by saku.
    What happened to his handstrikes then?

9. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

This has gone from a discussion on Vale Tudo to a slanging match.

If people can't manage to speak in a civilised manner to each other, its easier for me to lock this thread and stop anyone posting on it.

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

And so is sports grappling, the thing being that without resulting in a lot of horrific injuries we cannot simulate actual combat fully in the training hall.

Martial Arts (any of them) prepare you for combat in a variety of ways (some better than others). The thing is, how far do you want to go?

Most people don't like fighting and are happy to learn body mechanics, if thats what you want to do, fair enough.

Vale Tudo training offers a close simulation of actual combat, but centres mostly in the arena of groundfighting, Judo offers this to a lesser degree also.

The various striking arts prepare you for the stand up with perhaps boxing and Muay Thai being at the pinacle.

I've gone of on a tangent here, sorry! :D

Col

11. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

MMA is great for stand up as well

Mowever if you are not willing to get hit dont bother as it is expected.

MT is good and will offer great results as will boxing etc, these are some of the more realisitic arts about and worth a look.

12. totality

totality New Member

you should take into account, my friend, that belfort (in what i admit was a very unwise decision) decided to thake that match after having knee surgery only weeks earlier. and did you see the whole match??? he DOMINATED until his hand broke.

and to get back on topic (sorry kgirl :(), yes, vale tudo is one of the more complete styles of fighting. you learn the oh-so-IMPORTANT skill of punching, and kicking, and everything. plus 3.

13. Floorismyfriend

which fight are you talking about?
    Sakuraba or liddel fight?
    Because he barely got to throw a punch in either fight.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2003
  14. totality

totality New Member

um...no. i just watched that fight, to make sure i was right. he threw many, MANY, MAAANY punches against sakuraba.

and learn how to freaking spell, it's LIDDELL.

15. Floorismyfriend

Lol i think your right.
    He did throw many punches but if u watch it closely punching was what got vitor in trouble. BTW vitor didnt break his hand in this fight. Vitor was punching away and he let sakuraba get a hold of his leg. If he woulda just grappled instead of trying to nock the guy out he probably coulda taken him.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2003
  16. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Oh Dear....

17. totality

totality New Member

i think we should stop this discussion before you hurt yourself, floorismyfriend. belfort DID break his hand, btw.

18. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

*YAWN* Bored now...

If you two want to carry on bickering, do it in private. Its not as entertaining to the rest of us.

19. Floorismyfriend

PLz explain the exact moment belfort broke his hand because even when sakuraba had him on the ground he was still punching WITH BOTH HANDS.

20. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Oh, I don't know, they have a certain flair for language.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.