Beginning Vale Tudo Advice Needed

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Fluffy Wabbit, Oct 7, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Is Doggy Style allowed in Vale Tudo?

Is that a legitimate submission?

2. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I don't know about Vale Tudo, but its not legitimate here!

3. Floorismyfriend

Floorismyfriend New Member

I love how some people flame and criticize me when i am trying answer the mans question.
    How about instead of criticising me or flaming me you guys try to help the man out?
    Just a suggestion.

4. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

How about you do more than 5 quality posts before people take your opinion seriously.

Just a suggestion.

5. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Check back earlier, I tried to give some advice.

6. totality

totality New Member

floorismyfriend...i take it you get knocked out a lot? that would explain the name...

and it's just about impossible to learn any martial art without sparring partners and preferably professional training. highlight ckips won't cut it.

and any idiot who can honestly believe that punching skill is overrated, most likely has never been in an actual fight. and if they have, i assume they're dead now. and as a corpse, floorismyfriend's advice is worthless

7. Floorismyfriend

First of all totality.
    Read my first post.
    I said HAVE a sparring partner.
    LEARN TO READ.
    Theres a boxing gym near my house in philly and i am a reg there.
    I box regularly for a good cardio vascular exercise.
    If you are any good at shooting you will be able to duck a punch at the same time grab anyone at the waste push ur head and shoulder into his chest and pull his waste towards you if hes still standing use one of ur legs to trip and voila your in the ground.
    Punching is probably only good when your on a full mount or rear mount just to gain position for an armbar or rear choke hold other wise use your energy on something more usefull like positioning.
    Ohh yeah think about it if you are close enough to hit somone with your fist your also close enough to shoot for somones waist or legs.
    And ohh yeah i gues uve also never faught anyone bigger than you? Try going toe to toe against somone thats 5-10 inches taller than you in a boxing match.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  8. Andy Murray

Can you guys feel me looking at the longevity of your membership here?

9. Floorismyfriend

WOW bon that advice goes under the "no duh" category.
    What you just said goes for just about EVERY fighting style known to man.
    NICE ADVICE!!!:D

10. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

/me sniffs the air . . . I smell a ban comming. No one will ever take you seriously after those being your first posts floorismyfriend. You're just another martial arts wannabe on the path to be nothing :D Your too cheap to pay for lessons and to uneducated to give advice. I say you watch how things are done around here or better yet, come back when you have something of substance to add to the conversation.

Now on the topic at hand. It's really hard to judge wether any martial art will be good of bad. There are stylistic rules which govern most branches (karate, Jujitsu ect) , but even those rules can change from school to school and teacher to teacher. The best advice you will ever get here is this. Go the the school and ask to try a class or two out (most schools let you do this free of charge). If you like it and you think it's something you want to do than go for it.

11. Floorismyfriend

Terry matthes
    In your matial arts academy.
    Do you teach mma or a specific style?
    Do you have belts to show the progress of students?
    How much is each class or private class?

12. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Try not to resort to name calling, it really doesn't help the situation! Members have made worse posts than this and gone on to redeem themselves.

13. Andy Murray

Some have even made Moderator :D

14. Floorismyfriend

Me cheap yes.
    Me uneducated no.
    Just because I would rather learn for free from a friend doesnt mean i am uneducated.
    terry mathes=mr big shot in the forumn

15. Andy Murray

Drop the personal stuff on Terry Mathes Floristmyfriend.

16. Floorismyfriend

SIR YES SIR

17. Andy Murray

This is not the time to be taking the mickey with me wihout a smiley.

18. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

This a forum for MA discussion, which is welcomed no matter what your training background, or who you train with.

There are no "big shots" on this forum... Terry's comments were out of line, and he was warned, as anyone else would be.

Floorismyfriend, I think your orginal comments we taken the wrong way and have shown you in a bad light. You've been civil enough since that inital slip up, so lets start with a clean slate shall we? :)

Lets get this discussion back to the topic at hand!

19. Cain

Cain New Member

Cripes! Three pages and I did'nt notice??? Damn! :D

Let's get the heads rolling :D

Now back to the topic.....

From what I have seen of Vale Tudo it's got a decent amount of grappling, it may not be the best but however much you want Fluffy, studying an effective art is'nt going to be any use if it's boring ;)

Check out a few classes, decide and stick with it for some 2-3 years or so IMO.

|Cain|

20. Terry Matthes

Terry Matthes New Member

To: Floorismyfriend --->
    In your matial arts academy. ( http://members.shaw.ca/ewmaa/ )
    Do you teach mma or a specific style?: MMA
    Do you have belts to show the progress of students?No
    How much is each class or private class?Never asked for a private lesson. Although I have gotten a few :) They hurt :(

PS- I am sticking with what I said, my comments were right on par and I'd say it again.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.