Beginning to love my Martial Art (and other MA's)

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Slavist, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Slavist

Slavist New Member

So a year ago, I started Tae Kwon Do - Moo Duk Kwan mainly to fill the incredible amount of free time I had after I was finished pledging a fraternity and because it was free. However, since then, I have grown more and more into it and not just it, but all forms of Martial Arts. I watch videos of other styles, read articles about them and consider future cross-training possibilities (in Judo for grappling) once I go to law school.

I love all aspects of it, even forms are sometimes fun. However, sparring is my favorite. In the past two weeks I have had two large bruises on my rib cage from a roundhouse and a punch. I have also been kicked right in the face and in the back of my head. In addition, my shins and forearms are always bruised and hurting, because of the intense sparring with no protection gear.

However, that doesnt even slow me down. Quite on the contrary, I go back to class, looking for more and judging from other people's faces, so are they. The class is really small, because a lot of the spoiled kids (we are a top 20 school with one of the wealthiest student bodies in the country. I, however, worked in the cafeteria :D ) think that it would be a cake-walk. Those who are not dedicated tend to leave the first time they are bent-over by a kick, or the first time they are yelled at and made to do knuckle push-ups on the hard wooden floor.

In effect, we have a very small and dedicated group of people who love all aspects of the training. The atmosphere is, therefore, very conducive to improving oneself and mastering the techniques. It is rare nowadays that a student gets an individual 15-minute session with a black belt almost every practice.

Everything in the school is about becoming a better fighter. From the knuckle push-ups to spending hours practicing just right punch shoulder movement on a heavy bag, eerything is about speed and power. The hard-hitting, no padding sparring has made us all have very high tolerance of pain and even when it hurts, we have smiles on our faces.

And I am just a yellow belt with a tip. I can only imagine what it would be like once I get to brown. All I know is that I can't wait.

In conclusion, I cannot believe how incredibly lucky I am to find a school like that on my first try. From what I have read here, people go around for months, sometimes years, trying one McDojo or another without any success and here I am, one try, one homerun.

I hope that there are other people there who feel the same way. If you do, please share your stories, I would love t read them.

P.S. This is not about bragging, it is just about feeling very excited after today's practice and looking oat my sweet bruise on the left of my rib-cage.

2. Hades

Hades the deskjob boxer

well... keep it up then hea :D

go for that BB :rolleyes:

3. leeless

leeless Handshaker extraordinaire

Glad you enjoy it! I'm sure most people on this board echo your sentiments.

ALL martial arts rock! :)

4. TomB

TomB Train Hard, Fight Easy

Yeah they all have something to offer
    luckily i too have found a great gym near me just 20 mins away

Keep up the good work Slavist and excel in your training

5. UGFighter

UGFighter Valued Member

sounds like you have found a great school, count yourself lucky... many never make it to one.