Beginning Either BJJ or Muay Thai

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by cluebird, Nov 17, 2007.

1. cluebird

cluebird For various reasons --

I am student of judo, and practice three times a week for a total of about six hours. Local martial arts facilities offer the martial arts Muay Thai or Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu. If I take one of these arts, my choice is between those.

My question is, would it be more beneficial as martial artist in general (who already practices a throwing/somewhat grappling) style, to take BJJ (1-3 CLASSES PER WEEK) or Muay Thai (1 CLASS PER WEEK MAX). Given these options what would you choose.

2. relish

relish Valued Member

Absolutely depends on what you want to do in my opinion. Just assess the pros and cons of each art depending on what you want to get out of them. No chance you can do both? ;)

3. cluebird

Thank for the answer. I suppose it is possible, but highly unlikely. Also, the prices on BJJ and Muay Thai are quite expensive, at least in my area, $100 as month for BJJ under a brown belt who trains at Gracie Barra Academy in Boston, and $130 for BJJ and Muay Thai.

I'm just torn over whether or not I want to continue with grappling based arts, or go for a striking art, as I would like something good from a SD perspective as well.

4. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Muay Thai - you'll have a solid standup game (learn how to strike and further your ability in the clinch). Also, I'd think the BJJ school would want you to commit a lot of time, which wouldn't be practical on top of your 6 hours of judo a week.

5. capoeiragreen

capoeiragreen Valued Member

Tough question, but it depends what you want.

BJJ is for more of a ground combat martial art. If you want something to accompany your judo, then BJJ may be good.

Muay thai is more of a standing cobative martial art. It is very brutal, but really good overall. I was quite impressed when I saw a school at an exibition. It depends, overall, on what you want. It's your decision, we are just helping out :p

6. TheMightyMcClaw

TheMightyMcClaw Dashing Space Pirate

If you're looking for something to make your Judo better, BJJ all the way. You're newaza will improve substantially.
    If you're more interested in self-defense, or acquiring an MMA skillset, or just branching into something totally different, then do the Muay Thai.

7. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Muay Thai, you already have a ground game.

8. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

It would be stupid to take Judo and BJJ at the same time...
    Better go with MT and then take BJJ later on.

9. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

I don't think it would be stupid several people at our club train Judo and BJJ and they have improved both by doing so. There is alot of crossover between Judo and BJJ.

As for my own opinion like everyone else it really depends on what your interests/goals are if they are to become more well rounded then MT, if they are to become a better grappler and improve your Judo then BJJ. The fact that there are more BJJ classes on offer would be a factor to me but in the end they are both excellent styles and so it's really down to what you want to get out of your training.

10. cluebird

Yeah, I was thinking about that. Wherein one I will have more classes. More classes = more improvement as I'm sure you all know.

11. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

Is this from the same school? Like you pay an extra 30 bucks for Muay Thai? Or are they offered for $100 for BJJ individually, and $130 for Muay Thai individually?

If it's the former, I'd say try doing both, because $30 extra a month is not that expensive. If it's the latter, look at it like this (as cKava mentioned): up to 12 lessons a month, so you pay 100/12 = 8.33 per BJJ class. In Muay Thai, you pay 130/4 = 32.5 per class. 4 times as much as you would for a BJJ class. If it were me, I would not pay 32.50 per lesson for Muay Thai instruction, unless they guy was absolutely top notch.

12. sly fox

sly fox Valued Member

dont burn yourself out though, esp if you are doing weights as well...

but as said bjj, if you want to improve your judo and ground game...they compliment each other well...

muay thai if you want to improve your overall self defence or move towards mma

13. cluebird

It is the former, $100 for one art, $130 for both.

14. JaxMMA

JaxMMA Feeling lucky, punk?

Ooooookay....wouldn't it be more useful to know at least one striking and one grappling art instead of grappling and grapling?

15. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

If it's like that I'd recommend quitting judo and taking BJJ and Muay Thai.

16. cluebird

Do you think judo w/ one of the others is not as good as bjj and muay thai?

17. Stuart H

Stuart H On the Mandarin bandwagon

Judo is an Olympic sport. Judoka are some of the best combat athletes in the world. Endurance, body conditioning, grip strength, explosive power...

I'm not sure what the BJJ black belts would say (any on MAP?), but judo rates very highly in my opinion, and would be excellent to cross train with Muay Thai.

18. CKava

CKava Just one more thing... Supporter

BJJ & Muay Thai- excellent, Judo & Muay Thai- excellent, Judo & BJJ- Excellent but lacking striking. Maybe it would be best to attend some classes and see which classes suit you best.

19. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Was just goin to type that but thought I'd double check if someone had said it already.

And they had!