Beginner Technique Advice

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Stor Gendibal, May 8, 2004.

1. Stor Gendibal

Stor Gendibal New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to Martial Arts Planet. So first I want to say hi to everyone and thank whoever is responsible for such a great site.

I am beginner in Judo and Muay Thai. I have been practicing them both for the the last couple of months. The first month I only practiced the ukemi's and this month I started the to learn the O Goshi, De Ashi Hari and O Soto Gari.

I'm looking for advice on the techniques I'm doing. My teacher is really helpful and good at teaching but I know that everyone has different ways and different approaches.

I like following step by step progression in learning and tips and pointers. I would really appreciate it if you could give me some pointers in ukemi and O Goshi (as they are the main ones I have learnt so far) or if you could direct me to a website that has them.

I have watched the videos in judoinfo.org but I'm looking for advice like where to precisely put my leg and how far to allign my pelvic with my oppenents and such...

From what I have read in the judo and muay thai forums people have different understandings even in simple techniques so I want to have a sense of what the general way is.

Thanks in advance for your help and time.

2. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

There is just way too much too explain in one go. If you want any pointers then feel free to send me a personal message. :cool:

3. bigd

bigd New Member

well on the o-goshi just,have your hip meet his hip,and make sure you bend your knees alittle,not alot,but enough to have a good pop up.and try not to get off balance.on the osoto-gari ,the same thing ,have your hip meet his hip,and your leg you want to try to get more,thigh to thigh,dont make it to dramatic.but a good reap.now DE ASHI HARAI,see in judo its all about timing,when your doing your rhandori,at the moment you see his foot up and off balance,hit it.its all about timing.ukemi-ahh its not difficult,your instructor should give you good pointers on that.and on every thing else.

4. Stor Gendibal

Stor Gendibal New Member

First of all thanks for the replies and sorry for taking some time to thank and reply to your comments.

I am instructed to just hit his foot as he is about to land it on the ground, when he has put his weight on it and has no choice but to keep falling. Also, how I'm tought to do enter the technique is different also from the Mark Johnson videos at the judoinfo.org site.

In that video first the tori takes a step into the tori, and the tori steps into the uke and at that moment the tori hits his foot that has gotten off the ground to take the step.

How I was shown is, uke takes a step into the tori, tori swings foot, on the same side of the uke's step, back and when the uke takes another step into the tori he hits the uke's foot as it's about to land his foot on the ground for the second step. Both formations put the contestants in the same positions from what I have seen. Which is the right one?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Last edited: May 11, 2004
  5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Most good judoka won't actually lift their foot to step, they'll keep it in contact with the ground at all times. Therefor you must use your hands to determine where their weight is at any one moment, and generally you sweep the leg just at the moment they start putting weight that way. It's a fairly tricky throw to time right to be honest, certainly not one of my favourates when I did Judo.