Beginner at Judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by RachelR, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Jim

Jim New Member

I've heard of Osoto Gari. Happy? ;)

2. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

aikisamurai,
    you are gona find it difficult to cross train between aiki and judo. i used to train in taiho jutsu (form of ju jitsu) which is alot like aiki and although the philosophies are similar and alot of the moves are used in both arts they do it in different ways. ippon seonage is used in both and when i was doing it in taiho, i performed the move in my much prefered judo style and earned 250 press ups. the taiho sensai's used to say 'judo is all UMPH!! where as taiho is all controll and power'. thats bull s**t! but i didn't tell them that as my arms were hurting.
    judo shouldn't be UMPH! although alot of the time it is. the word judo means: 'the gentle way' however the founders interpretation was: 'maximum effeicency'. an ideal of aiki if i'm not mistaken.
    you will find alot of freedom in judo to perform the techniques to your own comfort and probably find the training is less repetative than aiki. the repetative training was why i stopped taiho.

3. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Ah, but what by you say to this quote from Mauricio Gomes,

This is surely dependant on the club/instructor?

Col

4. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

yea i suppose it is dependant on the club/instructor, my taiho instructors were shall we say..not the best. i know many people who do aiki in alot of different clubs and they all say it does get boring sometimes doing the same techniques over and over. personally i wouldn't mind if we had of concentrated on 1 technique a night but instead we practiced the same 8-10 techniques for over a year. thats the reason i quit. on speaking to some aikido students i know they said thats typical of aiki aswell.
    repetition is the mother of skill? sure, so long as you don't fall asleep. the KODOKAN says that a judoka does not understand a throw untill he has thrown, and been thrown, a thousand times with it. the northwest area coach for the BJA says this is crap. i'm inclined to agree with him although both him and me are no-one to question the KODOKAN. i suppose in the end it comes down to personal preference, i learn fast, i don't want to have to perform kote gaish, ushiro toshi and igamae atti 70times a night, twice a week, 52 weeks a year. i mastered these techniques to 2nd dan standard after a month, so why keep up the intensive practice on them?

5. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

don't wory rach, we all have to start somewhere. once you start improving your ukemi (breakfalls) throwsing and groundwork will comein next. enjoy every lesson since judo requires a lot of motor skill learning

6. saikyou

saikyou New Member

cross training? never tried it but ithink in the first few lessons you will surely be confused.

About your problem with Ukemi, just practice and you'll get the hang of it soon. I myself had a problem with breakfalls in my first few lessons. Im a right-handed person so i have difficulty on the left-handed slap foward roll.

Download the Ukemi animations at http://www.judoinfo.com and get a mat to land on and try to do it in your free time at home. practice makes perfect.:D

by the way,

yeah. The first throw that i learned and it is the throw that seriously harmed me a few months ago. Why it is so special for you? just curious.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2003
  7. Chinesericeboy

Chinesericeboy New Member

umm i learned at my dojo tat u use rubber strings and tie it to a pole...use 2 and act like they are the hands of the enemy...try your moves on tat and u may improve greatly!