Beer...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Ranzan, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

I love beer, but what are the health effects? Negative effects on work outs? muscle gain ? fat? I'm talking like a beer every night or two not full on getting trashed.

2. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Big no for me when dropping weight, it plays havoc with my efforts and puts fat on my belly, even when calories are accounted for.

3. KAMAU

KAMAU innocent bystander

alcohol slows down the recovery process!

I sometimes chill on a few dark ales if not training for a few days but try to be selective by drinking guiness/dark beers which have some beneficial propertys

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Alcohol is a simple chemical structure, and as such is rapidly absorbed through the stomach and small intestine. This is why it is used as a carrier agent for many medical drugs and tinctures. Research shows that the metabolism of alcohol in the liver may not only disrupt the liver's ability to produce energy. It may also drastically affect blood sugar balance leading to hypoglycemia, particularly if consumed on an empty stomach.
    Regular exposure to alcoholic drinks, particularly when comsumed without fat and protein to slow down absorbtion and balance the ratio of carbohydrates to proteins and fats, can cause damage to the stomach and linings to the small intestine.
    In addition alcohol can act as a displacing agent, prohibiting the absorbtion of vitimins and minerals.

5. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

MMMM,,, It's what for Dinner.

Just kidding. I personally believe what Bill Maher said (I'm paraphasing cuz I can't find the quote)

Alcohol doesn't have any real health benefits besides helping an overstressed individual relax. It isn't really good for you its a poison. But if your extremely stressed out and alcohol can relax you it is the lesser of two evils.

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

So can intercourse :)

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

It was said in history, monks fasted on beer.

8. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Beer, like wine, can help reduce your chances of strokes, as well as heart and vascular disease. I typically drink one 12oz beer a day and I've never noticed any adverse side effects (usually after work or sometimes after a hard weight training workout).

9. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

The old road sign in Belgium for a historic Abbey brewery was a wolf in monk's robes carrying a staff. Apparently after a week or two on strong dark beer and no food they were terrors.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

beer crossing... drive carefully

Attached Files:

11. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Government guidelines on safe drinking (21 units of alcohol per week for men, and 14 for women) were just “plucked out of the air” - according to a member of the committee that did the plucking.

Professor Richard Smith was on the committee in 1987 which was set up to determine safe drinking limits, which have “shaped health policy in Britain for more than 20 years.” He now admits that the figures have no scientific basis at all.

S: What’s Brewing magazine, 12/07

(And as it happens, the government’s senior adviser on the smoking ban has admitted that he doesn’t believe in passive smoking; almost all such experts admit this in private - what is rare is that this one has done so in public:
    http://takingliberties.squarespace....senior-health-advisor-agrees-with-forest.html)