Become a boxing coach in 1 day

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by holyheadjch, Mar 4, 2009.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

This is a real email I received at work today. Details have been changed to protect my job.

Am I alone in thinking there is something inherently wrong in this?

2. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

No, it sounds silly. But maybe they really mean 'boxercise' - I don't know.. But what i found most intriguing is councils having a boxing development officer.

I would never have known.. I wonder how common that is?

3. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Certified ABA tutors. The ABA are the governing body for Amateur boxing in the UK. Not boxercise.

4. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Doesnt the ABA have 5 levels of coaching so I can't see there being a problem doing it in 1 day, however I though there was a fair bit of theory that you had to complete as well?

If your just turning up not done boxing then your not going to get far as it says some boxing exp is required.

5. CatWise

CatWise Valued Member

WOW! Right up there is get your black belt on e-bay...
    I feel sorry for the poor sole that would PAY this type of coach.

What is reasonable level of fitness? The ability to get of the sofa?

6. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I was thinking that you need to be certified and there was a 5 level course, I keep thinking that email must be a 1 day seminar or something.

I mean, what can you learn in one day??

08:30 - 09:00
    Health an Safety for the day, Intros

09:00 - 10:00: Basic history of boxing 101
    "its exactly like Rocky......exactly"

10:00 - 10:30 : break

10:30 - 12:00 - Treatment of injuries during competition
    "Leave it to the cutmen" or "Put Vaseline on everything"

12:00 - 13:00 - Lunch

13:00 - 14:00: Boxing Equipment
    Focus mitts: You hit it
    Punch Bag: You punch it
    Speed bag: You punch it
    Sparring Partner: Hit each other
    Gumshield: You chew it, but dont eat it
    14:00 - 14:30 - Break

14:30 - 15:00
    Summary of the day

15:00 - 15:30
    Giving out of certificates: Home time

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

^lol.. they really should make flavoured gumshields tho'!

8. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Was on a violence at work self defence course. The first thing they (attempted to) tell me is..."sit down this is the beginning of de-escalating the potential for violence!!!!

Aye right!!!!!!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I do think it sounds dodgy, but a lot of sports offer very basic level coaching qualifications that are aimed at parents and other volunteers. I did my wildwater racing kayaking level 1 coaching qualification several years ago and it was pretty basic stuff.

I think it depends on the skill set it covers. If it's aimed at volunteer helpers then it should be alright.

I assume it's this course

http://www.abae.co.uk/Coaching_boxi...rds/What_is_the_boxing_tutor_course/index.asp

I find it a bit dodgy that it qualifies people who have no prior boxing experience to go out and running coaching courses!

10. TheCount

TheCount Happiness is a mindset

I think the most dodgey aspect is the lack of experience within the sport itself required, however just a little insight:

In the UK there is now a standardisation for coaching where everything is done in Levels - for my sport there are four, for others five. However level 1 is defined as the Safe introduction to the sport - nothing more. Such a course you can do in a day or two for sports such as football, hockey etc. with the time scale increasing with the technicality of the sport. If this course is indeed level 1 then a day is not unreasonable - it is more the marketing of it that is a concern.

11. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

BSCLF

Dont you just love it when your company gets some so called expert in self defence to come in and show you how to restrain a person by twisting their arm behind their back apply a wrist lock and calmly walk them out the door.

They may or may not have ever had to hold down, lock up, subdue and arrest someone but i can tell you from experiance that kind of stuff for want of a better word dose not work on the kind of people that i have had to deal with in my line of work.

Drug heads and im talking ice, speed or they are hanging out for another hit of heroin which makes them highly unpredictable.

Drunks, you never know what they will do

People just out of prison that jump straight on the train and straight into the shopping centre to steal, they dont care about themselves so they even care less about you.

The mentaly ill and there was a hospital within walking distance from where i worked with a psychiatric ward and sometimes the patients would escape.

And there are always the gangs of youths that love to hang around and harass anyone for any reason, they would like nothing better than to have an all in gang bash, kick your head in or maybe just for fun stick a knife in you while you are down.

Ive been to four of these pathetic little learning sessions and whilst sitting there listening to the verbal diarrhea from the fool at the front of the class the rest of your work buddies are looking at you questionably because they know that you are 100 times more qualified to teach self defence, all you can do is raise your eye brows and shrug the shoulders.

The bit i like is afterwards when we all get together and they ask ok whats the real deal and we have a little training session of our own.

Before anyone says it no i have never incouraged work colleagues to eye gouge or kick in the nuts or break someones wind pipe.

The thing is in my opinion it is down right irresponsible to teach touchy feely to people that work in an enviroment that has the potential to be hostile and volatile, of course every situation is different and there is a time when that kind of stuff will work like verbal judo as they like call it here.

This leads me to another point, if people are going to be employed in these kind of enviroments then they should be more experienced to start of with or the majority of the employees should be, so that they can teach the ones that are not.

12. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Man I had to sit there and just swallow my toungue. The girl that was presenting it had just "passed her diploma test" and she knew me personally and could not make eye contact.

Any number of them were off with depresion or nervous breakdowns within weaks of starting their jobs.

regards koyo

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Sometimes? Mate, you're lucky. We have it every.bloody.day. without fail, each Hospital in London would lose at least 1 or 2 patients a day. Usually they are not noticed till their shift swaps (staff from Day shift telling Night shift to check on people then notice they're gone).

One of the worst I've dealt with is when this guy, he has been "missing" for like 9hours. He suffers from the following:
    Paranoid Schiznophrenia and Alchohol Dependancy. From the mouths of the Nurses, according to his file,
    1) he WILL go to a Pub and drink himself to death if he can (wheres' he get the money?)
    2) When he drinks, he gets violent against women
    3) His paranoid schiznophrenia is usually triggered when he is near or nearby a certain type of female.
    4) His violence is not sexual, just straight up, physical violence.
    5) He is a self harmer
    6) Suffers from Hep C

At this point I ask how he was lost.

He is given (once a week only tho) unsupervised leave to the town centre which lasts 2hours. For the first month he was coming back, now he disappears each week.

Upon asking the nurse, what are the chances of this "privilage" being removed or at least having the leave supervised, she got offended and stated I had no right to say what people should/should not have, human rights etc etc.

Now imagine having to tackle a person, drunk as hell, violent as all get AND with the potential of catching what he has (Hep C is the least of worries).

A wrist lock aint gonna do much good when he's using his other (bloodied) hand to scratch your face.

Thankfully not an everyday occurance. Mostly hospitals lose patients that are elderly and confused and sincerely need help..usually just finding them trying to get home because they forgot where they live.

14. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

BSCLF

Yeah i hear ya ive had nut bags like that to, maybe we should start up a thread with the title All the crayzies you've had to deal with.