BB Test.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by bodyshot, Nov 18, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I thought you meant twice a week then, not once every two weeks.

wow, thats not a lot of sparring.

2 years of Once every two weeks (and say its a solid hour of sparring) is only sparring for 52 hours for blackbelt.

I spar 4 hours a week at the least, so thats 13 weeks training for blackbelt at my rate. jesbus...........

edit - another post of yours says you spar for 15 minutes, so thats 13 hours of sparring, which is less then a month of sparring at my own rate, that's not a good comparison.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  2. bodyshot

bodyshot Brown Belt Zanshin Karate

OK whats your point? I mean you guys spar alot but dont you do judo or somethin, those guys always spar alot and on saturdays the gym is open matt and some guys go in and spar pretty frequently, in fact our tournament team spars everyother saturday and its a two hour session, although they do Kata from what I hear for about forty five minutes.

3. Dead_pool

My point is, The amount of sparring you will do for your black belt is not massive, skills in MA are roughly equal to the amount of sweat and effort you have put in, not always, but mostly.

kudos for the black belt though.

4. bodyshot

well thanks bro but Im still a year away from my BB, in fact more like a year and two or three months actually.

5. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Are you talking about sparring or rolling? 4 hours a week seems like a lot of sparring. I would be starting to worry about doing long-term damage if I was sparring that much.

6. Dead_pool

3 hours rolling BJJ/nogi/Jits with Hits, 1 hour Standing (mostly) Judo.

The point was more around free training hours, Bodyshots training involves grapping, sweeps and chokes too, so its kinda comparable, plus I know a lot of MMA guys that do much much more incl strikes but they just dont train full out every session.

7. Kave

Kave Lunatic

That sounds reasonable. I probably spar 16 rounds a week (2 weekly sessions of eight 3 minute rounds), but I might get another 1-2 hours of rolling (gi and no-gi) and I would need to be doing more if I wanted to be more than a casual hobbyist.

8. bodyshot

I should have said this before I guess but we have four different kinds of sparring match where I take lessons, first is a strikeing match second is a grappleing match third is a anything goes(ground clinch and standup) and the fourth is a point sparring tournament style that our tournament team and youth like to use. We have some pretty cool in house rules and its just alot of fun.

9. Kave

Kave Lunatic

What sort of safety equipment do you use in your striking sparring and "anything goes" sparring, and what sort of contact is allowed? What are the basic rules you follow when sparring?

10. bodyshot

OK here we go.
    1.strikeing match-Kumite style rules, no head contact allowed at all, not knee shots no groin shots, if some one says stop you stop, contact level decided between the contestants lols. now equipment, Boxing gloves, cup, foot and shin protector and head gear women are allowed chest protector.

2.grappleing match, starts from your knees, no striking allowed first man to gain a choke hold wins the point, first man to gain dominant position like mount and holds it for 20 seconds wins the point, match length is two minutes, knee pads may be worn.

3. anything goes, strikeing rules and equipment from above, controlled takedowns allowed, follow up on the ground allowed, chokes and similated strikes to the body allowed, points awarded for regaining your feet as well.

4.tournament style is the same point contact stuff you see at TKD events. This style of match is only done by the members of our tournament team and the very young kids.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  11. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

That's not unusual for some systems. Depending on the Instructor in Jeet Kune Do one could wait 20+ years to grade. In our system you have to have at least a minimum of 3 years training on the same level rank, before you're even considered for grade or promotion tests.

12. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

I might have missed this somewhere but what is your style actually called?

13. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's important to read the rest of my post along with that comment. Minimum time in grade requirements are generally there to ensure that your abilities with the techniques are going to be up to a minimum standard or that you have had time to absorb your lessons and do some teaching yourself (at higher grades). Given that this case stated 4 months between grades coupled with what seemed like a relatively easy set of techniques for black belt, the time requirements just seemed arbitrary, especially if people already know how to do those basics from another system.

My comment was really that time in grade requirements shouldn't be the main basis for grading. Otherwise you're just on a conveyor belt system where your training isn't as important as how long you've been around, and that's a terrible basis for building up good quality black belts.

14. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

I quoted that line to respond to a particular section. I read the entire post.

My point was I believe that time in grade should be the most important given that time is invaluable in training. Of course this also depends on how often the student comes and trains.

And I actually wasn't referring to just black belts for some systems don't use em!!

15. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I'd be inclined to argue that quality of time spent is arguably just as valuable (if not more so) than time spent.

16. bodyshot

Hey guys, thanks for the renewed interest in my old test syllabus thread. As you can all see our striking technique is pretty simple, and with the exception of our tournament team we don't practice kATA or test for it. The time in grade portion of our test requirements is just one pre test requirement we have to meet, you also have to attend a certain number of classes during that four months so its not just the four months its also training.
    Another thing the test might not reveal is the fact you have to journal and perform a certain amount of workouts from home so its not a martial art system you can just test out on, you have to show up and work.
    You might also notice it a karate boxing mix, it works a lot like kick boxing, in fact thats what it looks alot like due to the fact that its trained like kick boxing, lots of pad work, and sparring, lots of shadow boxing.

We also have a clinch and ground curriculum that comes from judo, jujitsu and wrestling but looks a lot like judo. Would love to answer any questions you might have about zanshin karate. Thanks for your interest.

17. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

By that logic two students who have waited two years since their first dan grading have both passed the most important grade requirement for second dan (for the sake of argument, let's assume two years is the minimum), regardless of how much training they have each done in that time. One might be highly committed, training four days a week for two hours, while the other might train one hour every other week.

I think time spent actually training would be an excellent gauge of commitment and progress, certainly far better than simply time in grade. Of course, objective standards for certain techniques or some measure of fighting ability would be better still. Ultimately, grade should reflect skill in the art, not simply how long since someone had their first lesson.

As an example, two of my fellow instructors and I graded to shodan on the same day. I have had periodic health issues since then and haven't trained as much as I'd like. Another of my instructors has decided to focus on another art and has therefore stopped training altogether. The final one has continued to train (including cross training) and is therefore continuing to improve. Consequently, although all three of us graded on the same day, one of us is much closer to second dan than either of the others, and rightly so.