battou-jutsu/iaijutsu

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Yojimbo, Oct 28, 2003.

1. Yojimbo

Yojimbo New Member

i was going to post a question about battou-jutsu and iaijutsu because i was wondering whether thaey meant the same thing or not. but instead i found an interesting article that answers that question for me. check it out i know i am not the only person to ever wonder about this...

http://www.cjas.org/~echen/articles/spring99/02_27b.html

2. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

That guy got a lot of it from his theories on kenshin, as opposed to real fact.

In answer to what was going to be your question.
    Iaido is an entire art based on drawing the sword and sheathing it again quickly, Iaijutsu would simply mean the iai Technique.

Battou-Jutsu is just a Budo technique Kenshin uses, I believe.

I have seen most of the series and I am studying Japanese, but don't take my word for this.

3. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

Last edited: Oct 29, 2003
  4. Kof_Andy

Kof_Andy New Member

Batto-jutsu is just and old name for iaijutsu, both means the same and is basically the same. Batto-jutsu is drawing sword technique and iaijutsu means same, but is a way to draw sword from iaido.

5. Dark Blade

Dark Blade It Roundhouse time

I see, cool.
    :p

6. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

From what I've picked up, iaijutsu is the orginal combative form of iaido, not a subset of the art (which I think was implied in this thread). Iaijutsu would have been learned at the same time as kenjutsu to allow the student to fight well starting with or without sword drawn.

I may be mistaken though, I haven't done iaido for that long

Last edited: Oct 30, 2003
  7. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Yes battojutsu is a real art, but it's rare to find a Dojo, I don't know much about Iaijutsu but as far as I know Iaijutsu and Battojutsu are interchangable names, though I did ask that in chat and someone told me that they aren't (ronin mabey?)

It doesn't really matter though, Battojutsu and Iaijutsu are just generic names, like Kenjutsu.

The difference really comes down to what Ryu you are in, in Kenjutsu the Ryu vary so much that they could be considered different arts, I'm pretty sure they just fall under the category Kenjutsu because they are a Japanese sword art.

8. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Hello all. No. Batto jutsu is not Iai.

I started many years ago but before this was a Iai Yudansha. I had to make some seriouse changes. Most strikingly there is no Jo Kyu Ha. Although movements are done slower in practice. Its a real go for it attitude at demonstrations. Also my teacher used to tell me my techniques was far too pretty. No seiza for me except for etiquette. Lots more differences.

Hyaku

9. Marku

Marku Banned Banned

Chris is da master. lol.he knows tons about this stuff :D

10. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Hyaku,

Like I said, it depends on the Ryu, they all do things differently, I beleive Battojutsu and Iaijutsu are generic terms, how many Ryu have you practiced in Iaijutsu and Batto? If you only did one in each then it just means the ryu did things differently, if you did another style of iaijutsu or batto you would find they are different from the one you took the first time.

11. Hyaku

Hyaku Master of Nothing

Its a pretty overall concept that most well practiced people are aware of Battojutsu is not so pretty.

The advent of Iai somewhat changed to objectives and purpose. More emphasis was placed on posture rather than effectiveness. Practice inside the dojo as opposed to outside etc.

Are you saying that "very" old Ryuha use Jo Kyu Ha?

This should not be confused with ryu that have actually changed their concepts to more modern methods. One can safely say that few have surved the change but in these we can clearly see the difference.

You might think that are interchangeable but I am not about to change the name of my ryu from batto to iai.

On a seperate note, my kenjutsu
    ryu is about as similar as soccer and swimming.

Its not really a matter of taking things on. They have all become deep facets of the sword arts. That have to be studied to a senior level to understand the seperate nuances of each

12. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

The site you have in your signature is very informing Hyaku.

13. JediMasterChris

JediMasterChris Columbo

Similar to what now? I just said Kenjutsu Ryu vary, so if you see one ryu of kenjutsu don't be surprised if you see another that is totally different, I have no idea what you are talking about.

That's what I'm saying, when battojutsu is changed to resemble iaijutsu like that they become the pretty same thing and it comes down to the style of iai and batto, I think you are missing what I'm trying to say.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2003