Batman

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Slindsay, Aug 28, 2009.

1. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

2. Raven001

Raven001 New Member

Ive played the demo and I liked it. Got the original voice actors from the Batman animated series aswell, Mark Hamill's Joker is awesome.

3. Kobudo-man

Kobudo-man Valued Member

mark hamill is a very talented voice actor. Simba and Fire lord Ozai

4. Ad McG

Ad McG Troll-killer Supporter

This now has the official Guinness world record for highest metacritic score for a movie franchise game. Does look impressive and I considered buying it. Might wait until the price drops as I tend to get much more value out of multiplayer games these days.

5. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I'm tempted to get the limited collector's edition which comes with a GODDAMN BATARANG!!!

6. Chimpcheng

Okay, I've now received my Xbox 360 version of "Batman Arkham Asylum Collector's Edition". It comes with a behind the scenes dvd, Arkham doctor's journal, a code for downloading an exclusive map, and, of course, a 14" BATARANG!!!

Oh, I think there's a game in there somewhere...

I'm gonna start playing it tonight and I'll let you know how it plays. :cool:

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

grrrrrr.... I wanna Batarang!

Everyone is selling it for £40 (UK)....Tesco is selling for about £35. Played a bit at my mates place and its excellent. Also focuses a lot on detective work (has its on view where it analysises everything) which is always missed in Batman works apart from the graphic novels themselves.
    He is nicknamed "Worlds greatest Detective" for a reason.

8. Chimpcheng

The Collector's Edition ranges from £59.99 right up to £100+ (greedy ebayers and shops), but I managed to get mine for £54.99 thanks to some sleuthing on the interweb which got me a fiver off it at Game. Gotta love interweb discount codes... ;)

9. Mushroom

Yes i too have been accidentally perusing discount codes. still as much as a Batman (general DC) fan I am, cant bring myself to buy a game costing over or near £60.
    (although I nearly paid £200 to a special effects guy/armourer dude I knew to make me a set of Batarangs)

10. Chimpcheng

Ahhhh I love me my limited edition collector's sets for games and DVDs, but only on the cheap. I think I picked up the Street Fighter IV set with the DVD and figurines for just over £30, and I have to say that the batarang (although plastic) is very nicely made and comes with a stand!).

Anyway, onto the game. Batman: Arkham Asylum is written by Paul Dini, who will be familiar to those versed in comic book ways and takes place in Arkham Asylum where the Joker had taken control and you (Batman) are trapped with a variety of violent inmates and prison guards.

For once, the voice acting is great (Mark Hamill reprising his role as the Joker), making it a joy to watch and play.

Batman has a range of combat moves, which is very well animated, with some Matrix-esque slow motion finishers. You also get to use Batman's detective skills (World's Greatest Detective TM) as well as a range of gadgets such as the Batarang.

I'm only about an hour into the game and I have to admit, although it's not especially difficult it is an absolute pleasure to play, especially if you're a Bat fan.

Also, is it just me or is Harley Quinn HOT??! :eek:

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

No it's not you.

Harley's always been hot. :D

I've played the demo and was impressed it's good to see well hear Kevin Conroy back as Bats.

12. Mushroom

I would do Harley (however she may kill me)
    I would totally do Poison Ivy (who would definatly kill me)

This game is awesome. I actually have to delve into my DC geekness to find character stuff. Excellent. Not liking how theyre treating Zsasz as a "literally" 1 hit wonder. But i'm liking the interview tapes story.

How trippy is Scarecrow's stuff? crapping the pants.

13. Chimpcheng

I'm totally loving this game, swinging from gargoyle to gargoyle, swooping down, shanking bad guys before swining away again. Magic.

The game is nothing you won't have seen or played before, but it's done so well and steeped in DC mythos. :cool:

14. Bassmonkey

Bassmonkey Formerly Cobalt60

I bought this game on release day and completed it in fairly short order (including the 240 riddler challenges without the internet no less! Proud me!!!) and i can safely say that this is one of most enjoyable games i have ever played.

It looks nice, the story is brilliant, the challenges are in fact challenging and you cant just waltz in fists flailing, you have to look at a room, sneak about a bt and take certain guys out! There is a slightly different ending each time you complete it to (i cant do the spoiler tags so i wont say anything other than its not an ending worth doing the game twice or three times over for, buts its intriging ;) )

Just waiting for ODST now, Batman however is a keeper and i wont be trading in this baby, ill happily play this one again and again!

15. Chimpcheng

Woooo good news.

There are more free maps for this game. Xbox 360 users can download the "Insane Night Map Pack" whilst Gold Members can download the "Prey in the Darkness Map Pack".

I already have the Collector's Edition exclusive "Crime Alley" map, but I don't have the Game pre-order only Scarecrow Super Villains map... :(

16. Slindsay

Slindsay All violence is necessary

Picked this up for 30.00 second hand, so far very,, very pleased with it, the animation in combat has to be some of the most technically impressive stuff I've seen in this generation of games, people have no idea how hard that stuff is. Graphics are great in general and character models deserve a special shout out, my only problem is that sometimes you can loose sight of the animation during combat as you obsess over timing the button presses just right.

Oh and the stealth aspect is magnificent! Full credit to the team behind that, I know that a few stealth games are trying to go down this route of silent predator but the Batman guys can certainly take credit for nailing it first. Twin batarangs can make it a little bit to easy though as you can KO two guys, get down their to finish them and be back up in the rafters before anyone knows what's happening.

17. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

I know this might be a little late..
    But does anyone know how to play as the Joker? I've downloaded and installed it (And the other two downloadable maps online) several times, but each time I do nothing changes...I can't see the Joker levels on the Challenges option and neither are the two other maps there...What am I missing?
    Thanks...

18. Chimpcheng

Which maps did you download and on what system?

A quick look on the interweb suggests that the Joker levels are PS3 exclusives...

19. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

Far as I remember, this is tragically correct. Maybe they'll release them as DLC on the xbox for a nice high price like they do with everything else :p

20. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

I'm on PS3...
    I downloaded all three from the Playstation Network..I think there's ".....In the dark", "..........Something else in the dark", and the Joker level available right? I downloaded them all, and have installed them with the disc in, and with the disc out...And nothing seems to work so far...Any idea?