Basic Stick Striking - Whipping vs Fluid?

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Nicholas Bork, Aug 14, 2020.

1. Nicholas Bork

Nicholas Bork New Member

I use a 30" stick and hold the stick so that I leave a fist length punyo.
    When striking the basic angles (angles 1 & 2 from the shoulders, or the basic X pattern as some call it), is it proper to snap your wrist to create a whip-like motion at the point of impact, or is it a must that your wrist needs to stay firm until you finish a strike?

This is strictly a question for stick fighting and other blunt weaponry, I know that if you want to translate it to the blade you would most likely go for the clean straight cut motion

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Hey, not an FMA guy, but I would suggest that you practice hitting stuff like a heavy bag to get the feel of how firm you need to keep your wrist and grip. You need that feedback to get a feel for how to impart force into your target.

Snapping can feel really cool when you're swinging your stick about in the air, but you might develop habits that lead to you losing your stick when you actually come to hit something or your stick is parried with force.

3. Nicholas Bork

Nicholas Bork New Member

Hmm, I never seemed to have lost my stick when snap hitting a tire like that, so maybe it's fine? Idk, I'll have to wait on an experienced FMA practitioner to answer me, but you made some interesting points with your own answer, so thanks a lot for responding.

David Harrison likes this.
  4. David Harrison

Some people naturally loosen their grip when they add the snapping wrist at the end of a strike. If you can hit a tyre with force and not lose your stick, I'd say you're good.

Still, you want someone familiar with FMA to confirm you're doing it correctly according to your system, so hopefully someone will chime in soon.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I don't do FMA, I do Choy Li Fut style stick fighting, so I don't know if this helps or not. But we have some strikes that snap the wrists, and others that don't. Basically, when we are suing a section of the body of the stick, we don't snap the wrist. But when we are using the tip of the stick (like when the temple is the target) then we DO snap the wrist.

I am curious to compare this to how the FMA people do it.

Dang! I miss stick fighting class!!!!! :(

Nicholas Bork likes this.
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Normally it's a solid wrist as you strike through the basic 1 and 2 angles or X patterns.

You roll the wrist over at the end after striking through the opponent to reverse directions

The only time you use the wrist in a whip motion is similar to what was said above when you hit with the tip as in a jab strike with the stick.

7. David Harrison

I'm not sure how much of a "snap" people are talking about (I'm talking about a fairly subtle one, more just extension of the wrist than a snap, I guess), but solid wrist sounds more appropriate for slashing with a blade than striking with a short stick to me.

8. Nicholas Bork

Nicholas Bork New Member

Okay the wrist is firm until it finishes,
    thanks. Mind if I ask then, what moves and what doesn't when striking the 1s and 2s (Elbows, shoulders, hips, and feet)? What is the general opinion on that?
    And does the FMA stance resemble the kickboxing stance in all forms of FMA?