Basic Muscle/Lifting Definitions

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bigmikey, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I looked briefly but didn't see anything like this. If I missed something than please delete or move as you see fit and accept my apologies.

I tried to think of some terms that new people to the whole fitness deal might find useful. The list is ANYTHING but all inclusive, yet I feel its a good place to start. I'm more than sure we'll add to it as time goes on. The list is almost alphabetical. Certain phrases were kept together due to their relationship to one another, like Tendon and Ligament.

Abduction:
    Movement of a body part away from the centerline (midline) of the body.

Active Recovery:
    Performing sub maximal exercise, cardio, posing, or stretching, to promote recovery from hard-core training sessions.

Passive Recovery:
    Attempting to refrain from all but the most essential activities while actively replenishing the body nutritionally. Sleeping/napping are great forms of passive recovery.

Adduction:
    Movement of a body part toward the centerline of the body.

“All-or-nothing”:
    The principle that muscle tissue is either fully relaxed along its surface or fully contracted along its surface. There is no ability to contract or relax only a portion of a muscle.

Angle of push/pull:
    The angle at which force is applied against resistance.

Agonist:
    A muscle in a state of contraction, with reference to its opposing muscle (antagonist), such as the Bicep during a bicep curl.

Antagonist:
    Something opposing or resisting the action of another. Such as the Tricep during a Bicep curl.

Concentric:
    A contraction in which a muscle shortens and overcomes resistance.

Eccentric:
    A contraction in which a muscle lengthens and is overcome by resistance.

Isometric:
    A contraction in which the muscle develops tension but does not shorten.

Isotonic:
    A contraction during which the muscle shortens while under constant tension.

Fast twitch:
    Muscle fiber type that contracts quickly; used most in intensive, short-duration exercise such as weight lifting.

Slow twitch:
    A muscle fiber characterized by its slow speed of contraction and a high capacity for aerobic activity such as endurance running.

Training Effect:
    An increase in functional capacity of muscles and other bodily tissues as a result of increased stress (load) placed upon them.

Tendons:
    Tissue connecting muscle to bone

Ligaments:
    Tissue connecting bone to bone or bone to cartilage.

Origin:
    The least moveable part of the muscle, or the part nearest the centerline of the body.

Insertion:
    Generally considered the most moveable portion of a muscle or the part furthest from the bodies centerline

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nice Mikey.

Read in conjunction with this thread we have a great source of information.

3. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

Very cool, Simon. Glad I can add a little actual information from time to time :D

Just got done with an article on active recovery. I may post it here as well...

4. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

I don't have time to add definitions at the moment, but here's some extra terms you may wish to include:

To go with abduction and adduction:

Flexion
    Extension
    Hyperextension

Synergist

Open Chain
    Closed Chain
    (Since we have talked about origin and insertion)

Maybe:

Anterior
    Posterior
    Posterior Chain?