bashing karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Humblebee, Aug 2, 2008.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

2. Kenpo_Dave

Kenpo_Dave Valued Member

I don't think Kyokushin uses Boxing technique for punching. To me it seems that Mas Oyama just adapted traditional Karate punching to suit Kyokushin kumite. He may of course have incorporated Boxing into the system, but if he did incorporate techniques from any style I would think it was from Muay Thai. Truth be told though, I simply don't know.

I don't think all Martial Arts are the exact same. As my name suggests I've trained in Kenpo, but I've also trained in White Crane and Long Fist Kung Fu, and now Kyokushin and MMA, and I have seen the same principles and ideas through out them all, but the there are some pretty big differences in the technique used to throw a punch, say between White Crane and Kyokushin.
    You are right about training methods though. One of the reasons I left Kenpo was that while I was learning loads of cool defense "techniques", at the same time in Kyokushin and MMA I was just learning a basic set of strikes, throws and grappling, and how to use them to great effect. Now the way I think is instead of doing a Kenpo technique, why not just shoot, pick him up and slam him into the ground?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It should do, they're all in the kata.

Mitch

4. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

Kata dont have boxing punch? hooks or jab?

At least not kyokushin nore shotokan i did them both and i didnt have any forms in TKD either because it was WTF.

Forms are all basic, i did learn a lot of punching combinations in kyokushin karate, a lot more then shotokan which is very traditional.

Very interesting views on Krav Manga and karate similarities, i saw some videos on Krav Manga looks so intense the training.

5. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

I cannot think of a kata that has them in it, but these techniques do exist with karate. They are called mawashi tsuki (round punch), and mae ken tsuki (front fist punch). There is a slight difference in the execution of them, but they serve the same purpose, and are done for similar reasons. There is actually a kage tsuki which directly translates to hook puch, but I think it refers to it's position on the body not the way it is thrown (could some correct me there).

I think though traditional karate punches where designed to increase the force by decreasing the area of impact (ie two knuckles), focusing on technique and conditioning of the areas of impact. Where boxing goes for the brute strength approach (which is why many boxers end up with broken hands when they take there gloves off).

Also when you look at kyokushin bouts, they kind of have a boxing mentallity. Stand in close, slug it out and try for the big hit (kick to the head), when the opportunity presents itself. This may be the reason yannick, why it felt kyokushin punches felt more boxing orientated.

A karate mentallity is more about isolating/opening and attacking that target as hard and as fast as you can, then retracting back to a safe distance. You will rarely see an interaction go beyond three strikes (unless there is a clinch or takedown).

These are just generalised views based on my limited experience with kyokushin and boxing, so please take them with a grain of salt. And correct me where I am wrong.

6. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

They are there all right - they've just been formalised, just as the flinch movement exisits within Kata in a formalised form (think of the high cahambers for shuto uke and gedan barai). Think of those Kage zuki and ura zuki and the low uper-cut in morote uchi uke, the rabbit punch in gedan barai, the sanitised jab cross combos in Heian Nidan and Heian Yondan....
    ...but, unlike Karate kihon and kumite - punches are not the prime form of strikes in most Karate Kata. Forearm, elbow and palm strikes tend to be the most common strikes which, strangely enough,
    work from the natural flinch reflex
    are biomechanically more sound
    require less training to hit hard with
    place joints in a less vulnerable position
    leave the hands free to grab and rake and scratch
    and are the easiest things to hit hard with at close quarters range.

7. callsignfuzzy

-boxers sometimes damage their hands when gloveless because, due to the added protection of gloves to the hands, there's no real need to focus on bareknuckle striking. Pre-Queensberry rules boxing, however, also included hand conditioning and anatomical allignment of the knuckles so as to better avoid damage to the hands.

-boxing isn't about "slugging it out". The true science of boxing is the same as nearly any other striking art: hit without getting hit. We're talking about a sport where Willie Pep once won a round without throwing a single punch, and where the best pound-for-pound boxers are usually the ones with the slickest defense. Even those known for having tremendous KO power, such as Dempsey, Frazier, and an early Tyson, wouldn't have had the success that they did if it wasn't for their defensive ability. Those three are remembered for their powerful punches, but it was their head movement and tight cover that enabled these shorter fighters to get inside the longer reaches of your average heavyweight, or even giants like Jess Willard.

-I think it's wrong to typify the boxing approach as "brute strength". It uses the same scientific principles of kinetic chaining to generate power as karate does.

-you stand corrected :cool:

8. newy085

newy085 Valued Member

And, that is why I like to put those little things down the bottom.

I have to appologise, I didn't mean to say that boxing isn't graceful or tactful. And I think more through ignorance than anything, I look at boxing as a sport/art, that focused more on throwing more punches while strong with out much consideration of targets. But as a sport with the big gloves you cannot target the same targets as karate, and you need to deliver 'heavier' punches to make them count with those gloves.

What would you say is the difference in attitude of a karateka and a boxer. Or is the differences that occur just as a result of the added range, and the fact that you can be takendown from a close distance.

9. callsignfuzzy

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "attitude". Are you talking about strategy? Overall, walking-around everyday attitude? The reasons why a person would take karate as opposed to why they'd take boxing? All or none of the above?

10. masterspohn

masterspohn Valued Member

Some people try to bash other arts, I believe in an attempt to maybe make themselves feel better about the art they are in