Barstarzz - Calisthenics in its awesomeness

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by brisrocket, Mar 1, 2013.

1. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

Lately, the Barstarzz videos have enticed me into doing more Calisthenics bar training.

It's awesome for getting stronger in places not usually focussed by traditional exercises and has great levelled exercises (entry level, through to OMG that is crazy!!)

Right now I'm working toward the 'Muscle Up' and leaning pushup (suspended, no feet).

Check out the awesomeness of Hannibal: http://youtu.be/jxnLw26h_Ms

Have you seen these. Do these? Like to know your insights, because I am going to introduce this into my standard training for link removed martial arts fitness link removed

brisrocket, MAP doesn't alllow advertising and in this case the links weren't a necessary addition. Please contact site Admin if you'd like to place an advert.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
  2. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

I have been rather interested in the fitness 666 program, which is very similar to some of the stuff he does, but more of a progression leading up to it kinda thing, I'm going to try some of the bits from it on the similar exercises I struggle with normally at the gym.

my girlfriend doesnt want to pay for a gym, so after telling her about it she's started the fitness 666 program, the results should be interesting =)

3. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I just started the satanic workout too. Takes a bit of time to get through the routine though.

Can't do pull ups to save my life though! I have a terrible strength to body weight ratio. My upper body is pathetic.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  4. Kuniku

I'm struggling with pull ups, but I keep getting told different things regarding them, some people say just build up to full pull ups using the assisted pull up machine, some people say just do as many full pull ups as you can and shock your body into improving, and some people say do the fitness 666 style of progression onto it =/

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

http://www.kbnj.com/FighterPullupByPavel.htm

I just haven't been able to get the chest strength to do pullups the same way I can do sets of chinups. Currently working on chinups trying to increase the number of reps I can do in a set.

Some weeks ago I was walking down a street near a park in Clerkenwell and saw some guys messing around on the bars, I think they were build for kids to climb on rather than the proper gymnastic type setups you see in a lot of the Barstarzz videos. It's a shame more Councils don't get involved with setting stuff up like this to encourage more fitness activities for people who can't or don't want to do this at the gym.

6. Kuniku

I shall try that fighter pull up system tonight and tomorrow and see how that works out =)

7. Bozza Bostik

Tried it all...:)

I think my technique sucks too. I'm not using the correct (or any) back muscles.

We have a few places, parks etc, that have pull up bars, dip bars etc. Not as nice looking and large as in some countries...but they are there. Don't see them get a lot of use in the winter though.

8. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

The daily plan (I'd be tempted to try the 3RM and see how I got on with it) would mean a trip to the gym every day, even if it's just for 15 minutes that's quite a commitment. Nothing approaching a pullup bar closer to home and the doorframes will not take one of those bars, none of them have more than 3 inches room beyond the frame for one, and the wood is too soft too. That said I do make chinups a priority exercise on 1 of my 2/3 gym days every week.

9. Kuniku

Yeh I'd be working on the 3RM program, I'm not sure if any of my doors would take one of those bars, I might get one and see as they're only cheap at the moment in sainsburys...

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

For me the issue has been pull up endurance. I can do singles and add quite a good percentage of body weight and hit singles but have a hard time getting over 5 reps just BW.

As its part of my up coming challenge it'll definitely be a focus.

11. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

The 3rm program seems the way to go!

12. Kuniku

Boris your inbox is full so I can't reply to your PM >_<

13. Bozza Bostik

Damn online stalkers!!!

Should be good. :)

14. Kuniku

sent!

15. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

can't beat the foundational muscles created by push-ups. There are many variations of push-ups you can do and that will be a whole new thread right there, but I recommend just starting with going to fatigue with the standard push-up.
    Keep a log of how many you can do within 2 minutes. I started at around 30. You'll see your numbers go up over time, sometimes they will drop down and then skyrocket on recovery. Nowadays, I do around 75-80 pushups in 2 minutes. I know that's not a recipe for pure strength and bulk, but for martial arts its a great balance between fast and slow twitch muscle fibre development (a whole new thread there too).
    In short: Do push-ups. That will lead to solid chin-ups, dips, and more...
    Let me know your thoughts on that model of foundational strength building.