Barbell - threaded or not?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Karatebadger, Jul 1, 2015.

1. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

I'm off to get myself a barbell following my recent dumbbell purchase and I was wondering if I need a threaded bar or not. Are those spring clips enough for everyday use? I won't be using a huge amount of weight just yet but I could really do with saving a bit on the bar to spend on weights. If needs be I don't mind ebaying the bar later on to finance a better one. I just want to get off the ground for now, but if those clips are useless then I will go for a threaded bar and get more plates later on.

As ever, your input is humbly appreciated.

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

3. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

If you are going to be changing the weights a lot. I would recommend getting the spring clips. Threaded collars become a nuisance when you want to swap weights quickly.

4. Karatebadger

Thanks peeps, an EZ bar is on the shopping list but I think I might get more play value out of a regular bar for this month. Spring clips it is then!

5. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Look for used ones. I picked up a nice chromed Olympic barbell used for about $100 CAD.

6. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

As well as managing to un-thread themselves every two lifts or so :mad:

7. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

But the clips seem to loosen when more weight is added.

I have and like the threaded, although these take a little time to install (soin-spin)

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

What size barbell are you getting? Olympic?

9. Karatebadger

No just a standard 1" bar, I won't need to be lifting anything heavy for some while and funds are limited at the moment. If this lasts more than a few weeks then I might upgrade at some point in the future but at the moment the smart money is on four weeks until the interest fades :rolleyes:

(I am trying to publicly shame myself into doing better)