Banned from Boxing!

Discussion in 'Western Martial Arts' started by Louie, Dec 17, 2007.

1. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

2. Keith P. Myers

Keith P. Myers Valued Member

3. StevieB8363

StevieB8363 Valued Member

Hooray! I can finally spare a few bucks and I've ordered my copy!

Thanks Kirk, I'm looking forward to reading this.

4. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

I currently work on WPAFB. I'm absolutely certain we can fix any issues getting a simple book out to a deployed service man.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

5. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Thank you. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. Osu,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention Iklawson :)

Osu!

7. StevieB8363

My copy arrived yesterday, (thanks Kirk) and I'm having a good read. One thing that particularly interested me is the diagrams of the "straight left" and "straight right" on page 14 (taken from Walker's book). In both cases the non-striking hand is drawn back across the mark while the other reaches out for the head shot. `So again we see how the body was regarded as a prime target area.

8. Ninjuries

Ninjuries The Man Who Genbukan Supporter

This looks great! Some boxing in the family history so I'll definitely be picking one up later on.

Gosh I never even knew those sorts of techniques existed in western boxing.

ARE there any current schools teaching this sort of 'classic' boxing style anyone knows of? NOT that I'm thinking of leaving the Genbukan of course, definitely some information I'd pass on though!

9. StevieB8363

Don't know about schools, but you're in the UK, so I'd be very disappointed if you couldn't find an instructor. I've long known about the grappling element of classic pugilism, and I have been keen to learn about it for quite a few years now.

Kirk draws from several historical sources in this book, and is careful to point out both the similarities and the differences in their approach. This gives the reader variations on each technique (and the all-important counters to each). The traps and throws are, for the most part, gratifyingly simple and should not be impossible to achieve in even a "live combat" situation. So far it seems that the "cross-buttock" (hip throw) is the hardest to perform, which is amusing because it is a move considered "beginner level" for most eastern arts. I'm keen to work these moves into my sparring to compliment my boxing skills.

Now I need to see what Kirk has to offer re the bareknuckle boxing/striking techniques. Many thanks for bringing us these almost-forgotten western arts!

10. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Yeah, it was that. The Mark was considered even more important than the head, judging by period manuals discussions of each as a target. Many manuals, such as Mendoza's Lessons, explicitly state to Bar the Mark when punching or parrying.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

It's sorta niche but there are some. Several in the U.S. and I know of two in the UK. First there is the Linacre School of Defence and second there is Terry Brown's Company of Maisters.

I'm sure there are others but these are the two that I personally know of. Both internet friends of mine and both fine gentlemen and dedicated martial artists.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

The Cross-Buttock was considered the most crowd pleasing of the throws. This, surely, elevated its perception as a "must know" technique. Every boxing manual which has pugilistic grappling included has at least one variation of the Cross-Buttock even if it left out other grapples or had variable names for them. There's always the Cross-Buttock.

I haven't written a book on the subject. I've been harassing Ken to either write one or co-write one with me but no luck so far (still haven't finished up the years-old Bata Manual).

In the mean-time, there are all those antique boxing manuals available for free download on my lulu site.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. Louie

Louie STUNT DAD Supporter

Yep, If your in England I think one of Terry Brown's Company of Maisters schools would be your best bet, if your in the West Coast of Scotland there's me! : )

14. Keith P. Myers

I've got one in the works and about 3/4 written. Its draws on 10 of the boxing books from 1867 to 1901. I want to give a big thanks to Kirk and others that have made the effort to put these up on-line for free download. When I discovered them I went to work! I've pitched the book to one publisher so far and am waiting for some feedback. Its been a good way to spend my free-time here in Iraq and a good distraction from other things! :)

Keith

15. Osu,

Could you please share the link to these downloads? :)
    Thanks.

Osu!

16. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

17. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

Looking forward to it!

I think it's a great idea to narrow the time zone down. It'll make it a lot more internally consistent and avoid some of the problems that some of the other recent offerings have had.

I'll still harass Ken to write his because it's focus is different from what you are doing so it shouldn't compete too much.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. Thanks Iklawson,

Wow! That's quite a collection you put together here! :)

Osu!

19. lklawson

lklawson Valued Member

I have about 6 more to republish, ims.

I paused for a while to work on Banned from Boxing, and now I'm just taking a week or two break. But soon I'll start scanning in the next one. I'm probably going to do the Police Gazette's "Boxing" (I think it was about 1911 or 1926).

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. Keith P. Myers

Hey Kirk!

I think it's a great idea to narrow the time zone down. It'll make it a lot more internally consistent and avoid some of the problems that some of the other recent offerings have had.

---Yes, that was my purpose. I'm focusing on the LPR era, using what I can find from Price down to Fitzsimmons, with the major focus on Donovan and Benedict. That seems to me to be the bare knuckle boxing timeframe where the "style" was pretty standardized and there are good resources. The sources from the Broughton era aren't nearly as detailed, in-depth, or consistent. The sources after Fitzsimmons are already changing with "modern" adaptations.

I'll still harass Ken to write his because it's focus is different from what you are doing so it shouldn't compete too much.

---Sounds good! I'm hoping that an increasing interest in Bartitsu will equate to an increasing interest in Bare Knuckle Boxing as well.

Keith