Banned Exercises

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Andy Murray, Mar 8, 2002.

1. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

Thought you'd left us, sm! We do ours forwards/backwards and then left/right. Going left and then right while the neck is tilted forward (or backward) is asking a lot of the structure. Small, complex spinal structure vs relatively large and heavy head is an unfair match. The edges of the vertebrae are at risk, as are the disks.

Osteoporosis is not a result of exercise, nor are males likely to suffer from it. It is the result of overdosing on calcium over extended periods. Bones only need a small amount of calcium for their structure. Calcium is a toxin in the bloodstream so the bones react by taking it and storing it until the levels are diminished enough that it's safe to pass them back to the blood for elimination. This anti-toxin process of absorb/release wears the bones out. Why is it a women thing? Perhaps mammary glands have something to do with it: a calcium subsystem that men don't have.

Rgds,
    David

2. Southern Mantis

Southern Mantis New Member

No, I'm still here - biding my time and waiting for the interesting posts.

Thanks for explaining that. I have to admit it is a bit difficult, what with the head being so heavy. We do it in our Chi Gung classes - does it benefit Chi Gung practice at all? I shall ask my instructor about it.

The osteoporosis thing - I haven't a clue. Something to do with oestrogen perhaps (I'm thinking about the menopause and the decline in oestrogen [or is it progesterone] and the onset of osteoporosis).

3. Matthew Barnes

Matthew Barnes Valued Member

Huh?
    I have to disagree with your opinion of the risk factors involved in osteoporosis.
    You are correct in that osteoporosis is not caused by exercise, however, I feel that your description of the development of the disease and the role of calcium to be suspect.
    Please see what the national osteoporosis foundation has to say:

http://www.nof.org/prevention/index.htm

Improper exercises can cause a host of physical problems, however,as the above poster stated, osteoporosis is not one of them. In fact, weight bearing exercise increases the bone density lowering drastically the danger of bone mineral loss and fracture, the major problems associated with osteoporosis.

Matt

4. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

I found this web site:

www.blueridge.edu/StudentServices/StudentLife/Clubs/Budokan/General_Information/10.htm

listing potentially harmful exercises and alternative exercises one can do to exercise the same muscles. Maybe some of the people here who are knowledgeable about fitness can look at this and let me know if it's reasonably accurate. What I like about the list is that it gives alternatives to the harmful exercises instead of just mentioning what's bad.

5. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

As they age, women produce less estrogen and men produce less testosterone. The loss of both sex hormones can lead to loss of bone mass, but because men reach a greater peak bone mass in their late twenties, they start with thicker and stronger bones than women do. Also, during the first seven years of menopause, women undergo more rapid bone loss and weakening, losing 15% to 30% of their peak bone mass during that time.

Also a diet low in calcium or vitamin D will also increase your risk of the disease and NOT overdosing of calcium.
    Too much calcium, especially from a non-soluble/non-absorbable source, can be responsible for kidney stones, bone spurs, urinary calculi, suppressed bone remodeling and mineral imbalances.

It is true however that improper exercise instruction and inattention to body mechanics can be sources of possible physical ailments such as "arthritis" but not osteoporosis.
    Exercise is very important for slowing the progression of osteoporosis and reducing the risk for falls that cause fractures.

Children should begin exercising before adolescence, since bone mass increases during puberty and reaches its peak between ages 20 and 30. In fact, one study suggests that exercise may help develop bone mass in teenagers more effectively than high calcium intake.
    Weight-bearing exercise applies tension to muscle and bone and, in young people, encourages the body to compensate for the added stress by increasing bone density by as much as 2% to 8% a year.
    In premenopausal women these exercises are very protective. Careful weight training may also be very beneficial for elderly people. High-impact weight-bearing exercises, such as step aerobics, however, increase the risk for osteoporotic fractures.

6. tang_sou_dao

tang_sou_dao YoU cAnT sEe Me!

we do the hurdlers stretch at class and im wondering if i should confront the teacher or not. i like the class and dont want to leave. we also do the head circular movement.

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Good site KT ... thanks for the link. Its all there!

I must say I do two of the exercises listed but with my own modifications ... they are the donkey kicks and the bicycles.

As far as the jumping jacks.... this is what Kurz says about them (and we still do them in our TKD class as a warmup)

" general warm-up should start with a few minutes of aerobic activity—for example, jogging, shadowboxing, or any exercise or game having a similar effect on the cardiovascular system. The one exception: Don't do jumping jacks.

Why not jumping jacks? Because there is no technique in sports that is similar to and can be improved by doing jumping jacks, but what is more important jumping jacks can neurologically disorganize a person (Diamond 1979). Jumping jacks, even for normal persons, can cause regression to an out-of-sync, homolateral pattern of locomotion (left arm swings forward with the left leg, right arm with right leg) and “a vague feeling of confusion” (Diamond 1979).1 An instructor who makes athletes do jumping jacks shows ignorance of exercise physiology, proper methods of training, and pedagogy. Jumping jacks raise the blood level of lactate before the main part of the workout and they are not a lead-up exercise for any technique."

For more on Kurz's views on what constitute a good or bad workout ....

Examples of Good and Bad Workouts

8. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Thanks for the link, KC. I could use some authoritative information on this topic. Actually, I want to echo tang_sou_dao's question. Assuming one or two of these "bad" exercises is done in your dojo, what is a good, tactful, respectful way to bring up the topic? (And have some authority behind the question other than my own measly opinion). (And assuming I like everything else about the style, the school, and the teacher -- there's just the matter of one or two pesky exercises).

I imagine it might be hard to convince people of the inadvisability of certain exercises when they've been doing them for years with no ill effects (not yet anyway!)

At least I don't have to do the ones that are going to be murder on my knees -- not a problem in my dojo. But I would like to have alternative exercises to do instead of standing there like a statue while other people are doing jumping jacks, for example.

9. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

When I was planning to go for royal marines selection, the recruiting blokie told me not to do Burpees. Is this standard practice? :s

10. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Very interesting, whole article is great. fter reviewing my own class I have the right idea but some things still dodgy!! :D Hey least I'm trying to learn. :D

I use jumping jacks for 2 reasons.

1) I thought it's a good litmus test to guage early co-ordination when assesing begineers. I don't just use jacks, alternate strides etc as well.

2) I (used to ;)) think that because these required concentration it helped people start to focus a bit more and use thier brain instead of just pumpiong out techniques willy nilly.

Very interesting though. I'm planning a further course of PE education next year with the BAPT (British Association of Physical Training).

Although ideally I'd love to organise a weekend up here rather than go down south or waaaaaay up North. Anybody interested?? Freeform, Mr Murray ....guys ?? Any takers?

:D

11. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Actually when I first came across this from Kurz I related it to my instructor... and found a "similar" exercise to "jumping jacks" that were called.... "Korean jumping jacks" ... how perfect for warming up in Tae Kwon do!

Actually what they are is jumping up from a left foot forward back/fighting stance to a right foot forward stance and back again to left foot forward. So its a "jump up and switch your stance" ... paying close attention to keeping knees bent and landing in a good stance each time and using your hands making sure to keep lead hand out in front while switching.

12. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Hehehehehehehehe done em for years!

Considering that double switching is usually a lead up/in to one of my combos have neglected it recently though.

No matter training is tomorrow time to make amends!!! :D

(my students will love hearing that!)

13. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

(there goes the element of surprise)

LOOKING FORWARD TO IT

14. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Are jumping jacks starjumps?

15. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

I think they are just jumping up and down....

16. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

... participants start standing feet together and arms at their sides. Next have then jump moving feet apart and hands clapping above their head. Then have them jump back into the starting position.

Knight_errant posted this link to star-jumps
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sportacademy/...000/2084162.stm
    here What does your warmup consist of .... but they really are not the same as you do not bend down and spring up you just jump in place moving feet apart.

17. booksie_girl

booksie_girl Lucy the Terrible

Thanks KC. I think they are the same thing, since I've never done, or seen anyone do, starjumps with the bend down and spring up.

18. PaulO

PaulO New Member

just a question to those in the know. Whats a good way to warm the neck? up down, left right and ear to shoulder is ok( ihope) as these are the ones I do normally lying on the floor with head raised from the ground.

But I have been known to roll my head in a circle and different instructors have used this in there warmups. Is it really that bad? I dont think I will be doing this from now on. Thanks for the knowledge I may never have found out!

19. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Rolling is ok to the front - the "back corners" are the problem areas and should be avoided.

20. PaulO

PaulO New Member

Thanks for the advice