balm for conditioning

Discussion in 'Silat' started by bela diri, Jul 9, 2006.

1. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

Hi everyone

I am at the moment working on conditioning my arms and shins can anybody help, i am looking for the soothing balm or any type of balm that is like, or similar to jit ja jow. I remember a while back some one mentioned some indonesian balm, but I can not find any previous posts. Would i be able to get any or make any.

regards
    bela diri

2. Gajah Silat

Gajah Silat Ayo berantam!

There are Indonesian 'versions' of Dit Da Jow, but I bet you wont find any in the UK!

I just use Dit Da Jow for arms & shins that I get off a Kung Fu guy in the North East. I'll PM details to you.

I usually bring some Minyak Urut home and it's the best linament I've found to date. I also tend to get some 'heat plasters' because the Indonesian one are much better and hotter than the Chinese versions. Probably got chilies in like most things Indonesian.

It's something I want to research a bit on the next trip but unfortunately our dear NHS has just made me redundant, so I'm bankrupt at the minute. :(

Anyway, job willing, I'll be there early next year and will bring some of this stuff back. When I do I can post some to you UK guys on the forum.

3. Who?

Who? Banned Banned

4. Sgt_Major

Sgt_Major Ex Global Mod Supporter

Arnica is good too.

5. Rebo Paing

Rebo Paing Pigs and fishes ...

1 tblspoon tumeric, 1 tablespoon cengkeh powder (or 5 - 10 whole cloves ) and
    1 liter of wee. Simmer (don't boil) until reduced to paste consistency.
    Make sure room is well ventilated :D

It's best quality when on a healthy diet & no alcohol.

Salam

P.S. Arnica is also good.

6. Gajah Silat

Is that your own, or will anyones do? :D

7. Rebo Paing

GS said:
    Is that your own, or will anyones do? :D

Hi GS,
    It depends on how fastidious one is on the aspect of quality control! :D

8. tellner

tellner Valued Member

Mushtaq Ali Ansari has kindly given me permission to make his very own reverse-engineered version of Balur Cimande, various proportions of eighteen herbs in an organic coconut oil base. The process is fairly complicated and takes several months to complete. The stuff has dit da jow beat all to hell for bruises, soft tissue injuries and increasing bone density. Rub towards the heart only. Don't take internally or put on open wounds. It will stain clothes.

9. Rebo Paing

Hello Tellner, are you going to share it (the recipe) or just tell us about it?

If it is not available to us, why tell us about it? :)

(I couldn't find it on the link - forgive me if it was obvioius!)

Salam

10. tellner

tellner Valued Member

It is available, but I don't want to do commercial promotion on this forum. If you're interested, please contact me or Mushtaq offline.

The ingredients are:

chamomile flower, Chinese Rhubarb root, Panax Ginseng, Gotu Cola, Indian Sarasprilla, manjishta, Arnica flower, blessed thistle, frankincense, clove, camphor, Dong qwi, myrrh, turmeric, witch hazel, Calendulla flower, Dragon’s Blood in an organic coconut oil base. The only traditional ingredient that I can't get is dust from the grave of Mas Kair.

It's going to be a few weeks before it's available. The last batch had to be thrown out when a Chinese herbalist accidentally sold me something that wasn't rhubarb root and something else that wasn't dong quai and only told me about it after I was a month into the batch :bang:

11. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

Ok big quote from Ian Douglas Wilsons Thesis The Politics of Inner Power: The Practice of Pencak Silat in West Java

"The specific ingredients of the oil and the process by which it is made are the possession of a number of families in Cimande including Ace Sutisna and Haji Gufron, and are a closely guarded secret. According to Haji Gufron, “the history of Cimande oil is that it was for treating the wounds or broken bones of students or opponents who suffered injuries in fight”
    Popular legend has it that the oil can only be made one night a year on the 12th day of the month of Maulud. The two prime ingredients are earth and coconut oil. The earth is believed to be loose soil taken from the grave of Abah Kahir, the founder of pencak silat Cimande, which is situated in Kampung Sareal, Bogor. Likewise the coconuts are said to be taken from trees that grow near the grave. Another account is that one must find a tree facing east with only one green coconut on it. The coconuts are cooked, producing an oily residue known as minyak keletik burung. This is then mixed with white sugar cane as well as several other herbs, also a closely guarded secret. The special healing and strengthening qualities of the oil are then ‘activated’ by the recital of mantra unique to the family concerned. According to Ace Sutisna, “the oil in itself is not unusual, it is the mantra that brings it to life”."

12. rizal

rizal Valued Member

well, for relief i usually fall back to Kayu Putih Oil. Not the commercial kind (like C** L**g) but the traditionally brew one from Buru islands. I usually got a regular supply every few months, although for those in Jakarta, you can find a good one on a shop at ITC Kuningan, 4th floor. It's a clothes shop (forgot the name) but it also sells small bottles of Kayu Putih Oil.

13. Gajah Silat

That's Cajuput oil for those who are unsure. Kayu (wood) Putih(white), the English term Cajuput derives from that. :) No Indonesian mother is without it!

Very nice distinctive smell too. ;)

14. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

thanks guys for the information

Thanks guys much appprieciated with all the information. :)

regards
    bela diri

15. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

what you want to condition your arms and legs for bela diri? :)

16. Orang Jawa

Orang Jawa The Padi Tribe-Guardian

An exellent question Fire Cobra :)
    Eventhough I studied a little silat that historically or traditionaly includes the hands and shins conditioning. I was told by my teacher not to do it. The essense of the ilmu bela diri is NOT TO GET HIT.
    How we achieve that goal is by practice and practice.
    At first, we learn how to block. Blocking the incoming punches or kicks is requires certain amount of power to push away the incoming forces. Very a rude and elementary way how not to get hit.
    Secondly, we learn to deflect the incoming instead of blocking. Deflecting requires you to move your body away from the incoming while using less power to deflect the attacker's power.
    Finally, we learn how to re-direct the incoming punches, the subltle way not to get hit. You cannot achieve the last step unless you are practice the step 1 and 2 dillegently for many moons :)
    IMHO, people who conditioning their hands and feets are still stuck in step one. I can only imagine to see 86 years guy still pounding makiwara or hit his shin with 2x4. Most MAs students doing it because being told by his/her teacher to do that for blocking purposes with the idea that they can break someon hands or leg with a block......shamelessly not true and never been proofen. Lastly they doing it for an IG, self promoting egos. Knowing that many so called master who did this have a health problem in their old age.
    But yet, so many people are willing to pay the price for this, blew my mind in deed. :)
    Please read my comment about your goal and objective learn Silat.
    I could be proofen wrong too,
    Tristan

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  17. Wali

Wali Valued Member

WARNING: NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED... DO NOT CLICK ON THE LINK IN YOU ARE SQUEAMISH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKMzKYjyq8E&search=SHIN BREAK

18. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

conditioning

I am wanting just a little more condition on the front shin for when making contact i find that i am brusing easily and so are my arms with some of tankis blocks. I also wanted to try some balm to see if this would ease the bruising. I do train as far as i can go with out shin pads when kicking, but some times i catch shin to shin. I am not trying to break base ball bats over them just need balm while learning & practising my entries. I am fully aware of the in's and outs of conditioning.

Any way fire cobra how was your trip did you do a report

Regards
    bela diri

19. bela diri

bela diri Valued Member

Tristan i don't want to break some ones arm or leg just toughen mine up yes we do practise to evade & redirect but we also practise to block as well. I can not evade myself when kicking the bag or pads using my shin or arm to hit. There is no ego here i can asure you and no self promotion involved i was just looking for some balm for my arms and shins thats all.

regards
    bela diri

20. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

hi bela dira,in my opinion its more a mental acceptance of the pain you may recive when using the shin as you stated(i understand where your coming from) also precision blocking counts a lot,try to use the top of your shin on the inside of your partners shin(they will need the balms then! he he). for the bruising maybe you should check out a chinese herbal practitioner as they could reccomend herbs for external and internal(to promote blood flow) usage.my trip was great thanks,i will elaborate in the thai boxing forum,respect brothers :)