Balisong Knives

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by BadMunkey, Jul 8, 2003.

1. moromoro

moromoro New Member

for the psychological effect I like the rusty kris.....

hi chris

i think a kris will have a psychological effect against most attackers......

too many people are playing around with balisongs, this is sad...
    if used properly it is a awesome weapon,
    KEEP IT CONCEALED and pop YOU STAB AND CUT HIM (AND he dindnt even know you had a weapon......)

i had the opportunity to learn some balisong last time in the philippines (bicol) from my brothers in law, there style is not even a style not pretty but it has been used in combat for about 20yrs..
    A real fighter is not going to be impressed by your helicopter and flip openings (keep this aspect for impressing friends not foghting)

peace

Terry

2. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

my personal training goal for using a balisong is to be able to open it very quickly, from any grip and even when I'm avoiding a strike, and to use the balisong as a palm stick in the event that I don't have time to open the knife.

I like learning new tricks but I just keep my focus on learning "street applicable" skills. Learning to throw a balisong up in the air and catching it in pakal isn't going to make me better at using a knife, but just to improve my confidence at handling a balisong.

If anyone wants to learn the tricks, they're are welcome fo try them. They can be very difficult to learn and fun to watch. But keep in mind that the goal is to get the pointed end into an attacker's vital points, not to dazzle him with aerial tricks.

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

hmmm...

cool thread!

a balisong is just a knife. it is an awfully simple knife with very few parts that can bog down or jam on you. that is what happens in a 3rd world country. less complex machines to produce even less complicated ones. the product... a really simple and reliable knife. and it's cheap too.

just remember to get orig batangas knives, try to go to the town of balisong proper. cheap, simple, easy to use, effective knives.

i like my folders and my kneck knives too. but a balisong in my hand makes me smile.

4. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

This is so true. Just last summer (April-May 03), I enrolled in a free tennis clinic. During break time, us students (aged 5-17) gathered around practicing knife-flipping (opening/closing of the balisong). I enjoyed it a lot, and it looks cool when the younger ones started flipping it like a pro. I reminded them to be responsible, though.

Now you non-Filipino kids out there, don't get any ideas...

5. shootodog

my family hails from batanggas and i grew up seeing all the fancy balisong play. my uncle told me this:

"kapag nakikita mo na magaling ang paglalaro, pakitang gilas lang yan. hindi yan sasaksak. kapag binuksan ang balisong na simple at nai-lock. yan, sasaksak yan."

translated: when you see a person who flashes his balisong and does some fancy stuff, he's just showing off. he won't fight. if he opens the balisong simply and locks the clasp, then you know he'll fight.

6. dra_uk

dra_uk Lost in Translation

Legal again?

There's an interesting article on the British Knife Collectors Guild site:

http://www.bkcg.co.uk/guide/union.html

It would be excellent if these knives became legal again in this country.... If only!

dra_uk

7. shortstick

shortstick New Member

Well I think its a cool item for me collection, and in the style of kempo I study there is a Butterflyknife form/kata that is part of the criteria for nidon. I would feel better with the tactical folder I carry..........but since we are talking "If it were legal" I rather have a sig .40......but....thats... not ...legal!:woo:

8. shootodog

it's not? it is here.

9. juramentado

juramentado lean, mean eating machine

LOL

I agree with your previous post. when the guy whips it around and does flashy moves, he's just BSing. Fear the guy who open it quickly coz he means business.

10. ryangruhn

ryangruhn Valued Member

11. Crucible

Crucible Valued Member

If you want pure quanity or variety of openings and closeings you might want to look up Matt Marinas, last time I checked he knew over 167. I agree with what someone posted earlyer, knowing more openings doesn't necesarily make you a better knife fighter but it will make you more familiar with the balisong. I've been told the knife fighters in the batangas actually only know one or two openings really well, and that's what they focus on.
    In caifornia Balisongs are illegal, a friend told me it was to prevent there usage by asian tongs, for who it was the weapon of choice. :rolleyes: , now they all carry glocks.

12. ricardo123

ricardo123 New Member

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know:-

1) Is it legal to own one of these knives (in the U.K.)?

2) If so, can I get one in the UK?

3) Has anyone ordered one from the US?

4) If it is not legal, has anyone imported a training / drone balisong successfully? Or is that illegal? Or can I get one in the UK?

Many thanks for your time!
    Rich

13. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

1. In theory - yes. But illegal to import sell etc.

2. No

3. Yes - be prepared to play the lottery with Customs. There's a good chance you'll loose it and still ahve to pay for it.

4. Legal IF you can find one. Haven't seen any in the UK.

I have quite a few live & dud - and that's ALL I'm saying about THAT :Angel:

14. ricardo123

ricardo123 New Member

15. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

I did not know blaisongs were illegal, is it illegal to own or to keep one in your own home, I purchased one about 18 years ago with brass handles from a Army & Navy Surplus shop, Yodas previous post about double sided blades, mine has a single blade but on the other side it has just the edge sharpened for the first 1" and it can cut your fingers if manipulating it carelessly. I will have to dig it out of the garage and have a look at it.

16. dra_uk

dra_uk Lost in Translation

Hi,

They're not illegal to own, so if you have a pre-ban knife you're okay. You can lawfully keep it in your own home and play with it to your heart's content. You can't, however, take it out in public with you!

Cheers,

dra_uk

17. adouglasmhor

adouglasmhor Not an Objectivist

I have a balisong bottle opener in my flat, just the thing when you need a cold one after training.

18. rocky

rocky Valued Member

If you want a balisong you could keep checking British Ebay.They aren't on to often because ebay do random checks and pull the plug on them.
    I know people who've got a few ;) from ebay before though.No customs problems either.

19. LabanB

LabanB Valued Member

UK Balisongs

Hi Dra_uk,

Are you sure about that? My understanding is that since about 1984/5 Balisongs have been a prescribed weapon in the UK, meaning it was illegal to import, sell, own, look at in a lustful manner ;-)

Its one of those sort of but not entirely grey areas of the law, whereby you keep getting different opinions about their legality, but no one seems to be able to point out the laws stating exactly the position about pre ban ownership.

Bill

20. Pat OMalley

Pat OMalley Valued Member

Umm, errr... Me too:Angel: