Balance

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by Wadey, Mar 16, 2014.

1. Wadey

Wadey Valued Member

Hello all

It's been more than a while since I've checked out the boards and I'm hoping to rejoin this great community.

I've been continuing my training while I've been gone and moved to muay thai now. Loving it and hoping to get a fight in the next few months.

My problem I find is balance. I'm a big guy and when I throw a combo or kick, I find it hard to pull my balance back. Example: A simple 1,2, left hook, switch kick to the body. I'm fine with the hands, but about 50% of the time I throw the kick and I feel off balance. I land the kick (which due to size always connects nicely) but then afterwards I'm not in a balanced state and find myself in a potentially bad position.

Is this bad footwork on my part, weak core muscles or general bad form?

Sorry if this seems a bit garbled, it's a bit awkward to explain

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Probably a bit of all 3. Your fundamental structure likely needs a bit of tweaking, and you probably need to open your hips up more when you kick. Without seeing you in action it's hard to be specific, but that's usually the problem.

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

What Sifu Ben said, generally people lose form on the switch kick due to it dynamic movements.
    Plenty of pad/bag work and listen to your coach and team mates who can correct you (if needed) on the spot.

In sparring if you hit it hard enough the guy will back off long enough for you to regain your balance.

;)

4. Wadey

Wadey Valued Member

Thanks guys. I've asked my coach a few times about it, he doesn't seem too concerned so hopefully it's no big thing and I'm just paranoid about it :)

5. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Take the left hook out of the equation as it's likely the unbalancing factor. Try practicing jab -> cross -> switch left kick until your balance is more composed. You can see some fairly decent applications of this combo in some of my training videos that should give you an idea of balance composure (though my form is not necessarily entirely perfect).

6. jaggernautico

jaggernautico Valued Member

Balance is very important. I think it goes back to basics and going back to work on the building blocks. If like you said you threw a kick and the recovery from the kick was bad or put you off balance then its back to work on the kick. The stance is the delivery system, so you have to work on that, maybe its weak, and you need to work that more. I would take time to work slowly, lets say on the pads throw a jab cross rear kick and recover, if you are stumbling on the recovery then you need to figure out what is happening. If you break it down that way and go back to working on the components then build back up you will begin to strengthen. It could also be rushing the technique, trying to hard, throwing it out wildly then not being able to recover back into position to continue the attack or counter. Just some things to think about.

7. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Find the centre line to the target on the floor in front of you , when you switch to kick make sure that the right foot is not in the left section of that centre line to the target, if it is you will have balance and recovery issues,

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To have the ability to regain your balance after you have lose it is called "dynamic balance" which is more important than to be able to remain balance all the time and never lose it. When you lose your balance, the gravity will pull you down. You can take advantage on it for your next move. A kick is more than just a kick. It can use used to advance and set up for your next move.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014