Balance balls?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Bambi, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Bambi

Bambi Valued Member

So after injuring my knee (again lol) a physio went over a few things with me that i could do to strengthen my knee joints and the supporting muscles. One of the things he mentioned that might be worth while would be to use one of them big balance balls to excercise the stabilising muscles. I didnt have access to one at the time so he never went into detail but now however, i do. But i dont have much of an idea how it can aid the knee joints? Most of the stuff ive seen with them is geared towards excersising core muscles?

Anyone any suggestions? Or would i be better off with one of them surfers balance board thingeys?

ta

2. MikeMartial

MikeMartial Lean and Mean

To work lower leg stabilizers and proprioception, a balance board is king. But you have to work on the various boards in an ascending level of difficultly.

Static squat holds and bodyweight squats are a good way to start (If your physio has cleared you for squats, that is); start off with a balance board that only tilts side-to-side. Then you can work up to circular boards, which will incorporate more core and ankle work. Also, a BOSU ball (half ball, back side is flat) can be used either side in the same manner.

Those skateboard-type boards with a floating tubular fulcrum are just pure evil. I've landed on my ass more than a few times messing around with them. I'll leave those for the surfers/skaters/snowboarders :D

3. illegal entry

illegal entry Valued Member

Do squats standing on a swiss ball that you balance on a board. Talk about mobility and joint training.

4. MikeMartial

Ok, let me get this right---an complete swiss ball, (big-ass sphere) ON a balance board???? Just kneeling would be a task. Squats? I can't see it. While I consider my balance and core stability to be pretty good, I work out at a university gym, and the amateur athletes there have me beat hands down in that department. I've seen guys doing weighted squats on a swiss ball, but I've never seen anyone STACK a ball onto a balance board.

And now, like the finishing blow of a liver shot - "this thread is useless without pics" :D

5. Bambi

Bambi Valued Member

Balance on a board on a swiss ball? hey if you can do that, you should join a circus :)

I was thinking about getting a surface and just putting random objects underneath it to make it slightly unstable

6. MikeMartial

He either:

1) Tried to take a picture while doing squats on a balance ball on a balance board, and fell off and cracked his melon, or

2) Bluff has been called. :D

7. Pocari Neko

Pocari Neko Learner Ninja

8. MikeMartial

9. Pocari Neko

Pocari Neko Learner Ninja

Oh what a schmuck I have been.... D'OH!!!

I'll do my press up now... sorry!!!

10. Bambi

Bambi Valued Member

interesting i could probably make a pair of those things myself , cheers

"her"? who said Bambi was a girl? aint noone seen that film?? :bang: