Bagua or Xingyi in Melbourne

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by justie, May 11, 2010.

1. justie

justie New Member

Hi, im interested in starting traditional martial arts(not the performance wushu type) particularly bagua zhang and xingyiquan (really wanted bajiquan but no one teaches it properly in melb) in melbourne. Does anybody know of good schools that teach either of these? I ofund a few topics in the forums but they were half a decade old and no one gave definitive answers >< Hope someone will hlep me out :hat:Thanks alot in advance. :D

2. Taiji_Lou

Taiji_Lou Banned Banned

dude if you learn xingi you are going to be a bad aaaaaaass.

goooooong

3. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

4. justie

justie New Member

I've seen that link but i think its a mix of different types of kung fu not juz bagua or xing yi...which is kinda wat im lookin for..plus they haven replied me abt having a trial lesson XD

5. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

No, they teach those different styles, not a mixed style. You could just go and take a class when you can.. and tell them face to face what you are interested in learning. You can also see what they do. I'd be surprised if they couldn't or wouldn't accomadate you.

Wan Lei Sheng was a big deal in CMA, and was well renowned as a no nonsense fighter. This guy come from his zirranmen lineage (in part) so the material should be decent. You will be pretty lucky if you find better credentials in your vicinity for such styles to be honest.

Whatever the case, you should be checking out their classes if you are serious.. Not hanging around for a reply (that may never come). I couldn't understand why you wouldn't..

xingyi

http://www.ziranmen.com/xingyi/xingyi.php

bagua

http://www.ziranmen.com/bagua/bagua.php

Last edited: May 11, 2010
  6. justie

justie New Member

oh...ok then...looks like i found my school :D thanks alot!

7. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

I would be gagging to check him out if a guy with his credentials and experience in these styles rocked up in North London.

Serial. You would be mad not to, in the meantime you can still check out others you may find. If you find something better for you, you can always switch classes eh.

best of luck.

8. justie

justie New Member

Thnx for ur help guys. Good to know this guy is the real deal since tat is the only thing im not sure of when i saw the site (he teaches alot of wushu so i wasnt sure) plus i just received an email saying i can go anytime for a free lesson :)

9. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Gidday, I'm one of those guys who was in these forums posting on this stuff half a decade ago :)

You'll be hard pressed to find bagua/xing yi in Melbourne, at least from my own experience a few years ago. I checked out zinranmen for a few lessons and they seem legit, but my first impressions were some of the students were... how do you put it.. full of themselves, and it was very kung fu focused with a bit of "internal stuff" on the side. May have just been a bad experience - it's worth checking out.

10. inthespirit

inthespirit ignant

Wow! Nzric, blast from the past. Not seen you around here for ages. Weren't you topic mod here before? Where have you been hiding? Still training?

11. justie

justie New Member

what do u mean by very kung fu focused? could u please tell me more abt ur experiences at ziranmen? :) i havent gone yet because im busy preparing for my university exams right now ><

12. nzric

nzric on lookout for bad guys

Hi inthespirit - yep, I was a mod here back in the dark ages.

To tell the truth I haven't kept up with the IMA, unfortunately. More through lack of time and training priorities rather than on purpose. I'm doing triathlon & multisport nowadays so it's hard to convince the wife & baby I need to practice my long form for an hour just after I've been for an hour swim and a 90min run.

Hi justie. Note I had limited experience with ziranmen so I don't mean to put them down. What I saw was the teacher seemed legit but I got the impression that their tai chi & bagua stuff was more of an add-on as most of the students seemed to be interested in doing kung fu.

Also, a lot of their warm-up exercises and drills were kung fu, and some of their students seemed to have a fixation on intense two-person stretching exercises. I know I've got pretty tight hamstrings but IMO if you're at a predominantly IMA class they'll give you some moving qigong or a good bout of posture work and bagua circle walking for tendon and core strength, whereas at a kung fu/external focused class I'd expect them to be looking at your ability to get your leg behind your ear. Or someone elses, I spose.

But fundamentally its about what works for you, and the teacher seems good. He teaches shaolin/kung fu styles and some of them are about "integrating external and internal styles" Therefore you're likely to build a mixed repertoire if you go with a teacher like that.

Some people would say that's a good thing because it's more robust, balanced and you get the chance to see what 'your' style actually is. Some people would say you're getting a more dilute version compared with someone who teaches exclusively hard/soft. Either way, it doesn't matter as long as you can get old healthy and you find an effective way to punch someone in the head.

13. justie

justie New Member

i see i see...thanks for replying :D alot of insight there :) i'll take up ur advice and check em out a few times before deciding if its for me. thanks for ur help

14. adman74

adman74 New Member

Hi sorry I have come into this a bit late.
    I have been training with Master Shao Zhao Ming ,Tai Chi ,Bagua Zhang and Xing Yi for about 3 years in Melbourne. There are other shools than the one listed. Good Luck I hope you have found a teacher

15. aekzung

aekzung New Member

I have been practicing old-style Lie shu wen linage bajichuan seriously for 8 years and I will be in melbourne for 1.5 years if you really want to learn bajichuan I can teach you. However, it would be tough to learn what I think it's real bajichuan

just e-mail me

16. cangwadi

cangwadi New Member

Mr. Aekzung, do you still live in Melbourne?

17. Cloudless

Cloudless New Member

For internal traditional martial arts such as Xing Yi, Baji and Chen Tai Chi please visit www.traditionalwushu.com.au in Melbourne (East side).

Email us for further details.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017