Bagua hand strengthening exercises

Discussion in 'Internal Martial Arts' started by leftwingtaoist, Dec 16, 2011.

1. leftwingtaoist

leftwingtaoist Valued Member

This set of exercises is designed to strengthen your hands for grabbing, gripping and pinching.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wv_pBnKoVY8"]hand_set.AVI - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Is there an intensity progression in types of exercises used for this type of development?

3. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

4. leftwingtaoist

start with 50 repetitions, for each exercise, then go up. rest between exercises. try it. i had free weigth lifters who could not do it :)

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  5. Hannibal

Within itself that doesn't suprise me!

The reason I ask is that this is at the "low resistance/hi rep" end of the scale and whilst useful (especially in light of the lack of equipment needed) I would still prefer one of the devices Odds showed above or something such as a towel pullup.

That said I quite like these!

6. leftwingtaoist

towel works diferent muscles. and so do the sand jars. you combine them all. these work specific functional muscles and tendons in the actual action position.

7. Oddsbodskins

I have to admit I don't tend to worry about grip strength for MA's too often, I'm a fairly keen climber as well and have always found it up to the task. However I've found the gripmasters to be very effective for developing grip for climbing. Many on the list I linked should be adjustable by switching sides for the rubber grip section (one side is a solid bar, one has separated sections for each finger, the divided side is harder to pull) It's only two settings, but by varying the exercises as well you can get a lot of use out of them. I mean if you really want you can get various strengths of them too.

8. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

WAHYHEY!
    Another climber!
    i used grip masters a lot as well as finger boards and compassing.
    the 3 to 4 hours id spend at the boulder gym probably helped that.
    i found bouldering problems with a number of power moves had a good work to rest ratio and built endurance pretty well due to the variety of grip intensities in a short period of time.
    i went into grappling and havent had any grip problems like other people i trained with
    then i started dead lifts and rack pulls and found a new level of pain.
    i think a important thing that gets neglected in hand strengthening is not just working the wrist flexors but also the forearm flexors. Pronated bicep curls are great for this.
    i think many fibres in the forearm are adapted from an early age to endurance due to just general use.

9. leftwingtaoist

these exercises not only strengthen the hands and arms in general, they also stretch the muscles tendons and ligaments at the same time.
    Also if you are using machines and weights you need to be in the gym, or wherever you have your equipment. If you are not a professional athlete, this is quite difficult to do every day. You can do these exercise wherever and whenever you want. I do them in the car on the way to work. It takes me half an hour to get to work, of which I spend about 15 minutes waiting at traffic lights. I used to get really impatient and wound up by traffic. Now I just do my hand training. In between when I drive, I do breathing and internal and external awareness training. That is half an hour of martial training every day. With all the other kinds of similar practices, like one mile seven start stepping that I do during my lunch time walk, on top of my one hour a day classic training, I think I manage to do about 3 to 4 hours of martial practice a day.

By the way I am curious if any of you have actually tried to do 50 repetitions of these exercises, and how did you arms, from your shoulders to your fingers feel afterwards?

10. Hannibal

I did - felt fine. Then again I have one of those grip doohickeys and grapple so it is pretty tame

Fun at the desk though when i leave my gripper at home

11. Putrid

Putrid Moved on

I managed fifty but will be the first to admit it isn't as easy as it looks.

12. Hannibal

That is true, hence my caveat as i do quite a bit of grip work anyway

13. Oddsbodskins

Absolutely fine, the convenient thing about working on your grip is that even the equipment is pocket sized.

EDIT: BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Oh I didn't see that one until after I posted! Awww smut...

Last edited: Dec 18, 2011