Bag work progression.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Matt F, Sep 27, 2017.

1. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Some more

So the last one a did from a different angle to try to show the right hand I am mainly doing and to show it’s possible not as short as it seems from the other angle. It’s a going back out right ,done on the same posted side as the jab, meaning there’s no big weight shift from posted right to posted left. It’s just a variation. I also do a few of what I know as a deliberate short right at about 1.12 minutes done from the posted right side. Then back to the other one.
    Still room for a longer right and more right variations.

Perfect? Nope. That’s the point of training...fail and learn.
    Who cares...not me.
    Knees feeling strong.
    Motivation is strong.

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Cool, props for posting.

I'll review later, but thank you again for posting.

3. Simon

In the second video I'd definitely get you to ease back on the power and get more connection with the rear leg.

At time it is not even on the ground.

This is cause by standing too upright and leaning into the target. I made mention of this on the last video, but it is more evident here.

Fine and dandy against the bag that doesn't move, but in reality if you miss, get grabbed or get tagged on the from leg you are going over.

Better connection will also stop that rear shoulder rounding off, which right now is a massive indicator that a punch is coming.

4. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Not looking for critique cheers.

If people must ,as it’s the nature of the beast, would rather have it from people who have shown a few of their rounds of unscripted bagwork.

5. Simon

So you are closed off from learning?

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Sometimes we receive exactly what we need, whether or not it is being asked for.

Travess

Hannibal and Simon like this.
  7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

That's just a minute of me after a long hard session (yer just going to have to take my word on that :p)

Please critique the crap out of it. The most noticeable thing for me was hands not high enough and punching down the way.

I was happy with the power, combos and my lateral movement is way better than before. Howe very my combinations look like the wrong targets. It is in part because I am really tall if I want to hit the body it looks weird.

axelb, Matt F, Travess and 3 others like this.
  8. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

You're like 8ft tall for your weight class...pretty pointless covering your head when their overhand right goes as high as your chest...(lol)

I'm in similar position when I go for body shots, I tend to drop my hands more than my actual body to get down there. But then again, I'm notorious for having a low-ish guard. (like peek-a-boo level low)

9. Simon

I like the way to constantly check your distance. It tells me you aren't just unloading on the bag, but rather treating it like a live opponent.

Hit and away, but not too far out of range and always on balance to move and hit again.

That probably comes from the fact you are a competitive fighter, as you can't mentally switch off between hits.

I tell people not to worry about the power, especially on the heavy bag, but rather focus on technique.

Power comes from good technique and added intent. More intent, but the technique remains the same.

It seems to me you do that already.

10. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

This is an going 'work on point' for me, as I often (unintentionally) find myself caught in the 'unloading zone', without enough use of range and/or angles, longer than I really should be.

The video is a nice little point of reference, that offers a clear view of how my bag work should look and feel - Thanks for uploading it PiP

Travess

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Cheers guys.

The other thing that's been pointed out to me is not stepping off enough after throwing kicks (mainly my lead leg kicks to the head) so threshold another something to work on. And cardio in general.

12. Simon

Chadderz, take a look at your video at the 14 second mark.

You do a side to side with your head before throwing a punch.

If it's a feint it isn't enough, as the threat isn't there.

You've really got to "sell" the feint to be able to pull it off.

I'd suggest doing a video of just a jab cross.

Really fake that jab and lead with the rear cross, or vice versa.

If you are going to lead and fake the rear cross really turn the whole side of the body over.

Imagine a short sharp stabbing motion, that is what you want the entire side of the body to do.

For someone like you and Matt F who kick and punch you are then disguising not just the punch, but a kick and knee also.

Pretty In Pink likes this.
  13. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Bike warm up
    5.5 k run
    shadow rounds.
    5 min big kicking on bag
    5 min Repetitive Round Knee and straight knees on bag in sets of 30.
    5 min repetitive teeps on bag
    3x2 min hands only on bag
    3x2 min kicks and hands on bag

Knee feeling fine.

axelb and Pretty In Pink like this.
  14. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Some more.
    Started grappling again too.
    Knees good so far.
    Still a certain amount of numbness on the lower shin area which might never go or could take time, apparently. But coping with it. Same with flexibility in some positions.

Seeing things I know I shouldn’t do or things I know I can do better and need to work on.
    But never expecting perfection. Always expecting failure. All part of the training and learning process.
    Happy to a degree considering a year ago I was sitting on my sofa ,leg up, worrying I was still using crutches.