badges on gi's

Discussion in 'Judo' started by judojedi, Jan 6, 2004.

1. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

i've been thinking of issuing badges to some members of my class for exceptional performance or effort in competitions and/or good/helpful conduct in class.

i was wondering if anyone who has a class already does this, and if its generally a good idea. and also, where on the gi or zubon would be best to sew them on.
    i was thinking of either the arms or the gi or down by the ankle on the zubon.

any thoughts?

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

The kids seem to like it. But I think its a bit much for the adults. Maybe on the sleeves near the wrists. Don't go overboard tho even on the kids.

3. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

i don't teach adults, except one lad is 18.
    i've ordered some tasteful black and gold 'junior leader' badges and an 'assitant instructor' badge for my assistant.
    i'm only gona issue them to the younger ones in the first class. see if it improves behaviour and concentration of the class when i have my deputies amongst them.

4. Jim

Jim New Member

Haven't thought of this. May give it a go next year in the Little Bushi class.

There was a trend in the 60's and 70's to award medals for exemplarary work in MA's.

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I if used correctly, its a good motivational tool for the kids. Printable certificates may more practical if your running your own club on a budget. We use these from time to time, and occasionally we have mini competitions in class, with the winner getting a big bar of Dairy Milk :)

6. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

JJ, it may be worth looking up your organisations rules for badges on gi's if your students are doing any tournies. Just so that they don't have to take them off or anything.

Col

7. Furikuchan

Furikuchan New Member

Around here, we see a lot of dojo patches. Usually, they're worn on the left lapel, so as to not interfere with gripping, like it would if you put them on the sleeves.

8. Virtuous

Virtuous New Member

The young ones in our classes are often given small gold star patches for academic achievments (GPA 3.0 or better). These are worn along the edge of the outer flap of the gi. I know thats not exactly what you were considering bought thought you might find it interesting.

As for appreciation Sensei usually gives out some certificate of appreciation and or a thankyou card. This is usually for things like donating something to the school, letting him borrow a van or using your truck to take mats to a clinic clear across state. Things of that nature.

9. jonsku

jonsku New Member

Just don't give them too much badges, you dont want people to confuse them with brazilian ju-jutsukas. :D
    Well, seriously, I think that there are standards for gi used in competion, and if I remember right, only name and nationality badge(s) in the back are allowed and perhaps your club badge. I tried to check at ijf.org , but it is sllllllllllllooooooooooooowwwwwwwww

jonsku

10. brown belt

brown belt New Member

well i think badges can look good to a certain extent. im my association u r allowed to have a few badges on ur gi but no names on the back or anything that just makes you look like a football player and not a judoka. i have my club badge and my organisation badge on my gi and thats looks ok but more that that wud just look silly. if you want to look traditional and like your doing a martial are and not going into a fasion competitoion then keep it nice and plain with a few badges. and i think crtificates would be alot more effective for commending the kids.