Bad weather, Can't train?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by angry, Apr 12, 2005.

?

Do you think it's fine to skip class when it's raining?

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    1.6%
  2. No

62 vote(s)
    98.4%
  1. angry

angry Valued Member

Do you think that it is reasonable not to turn up for class if it is raining?

My tkd class was a third small last night and all I could put it down to was the rain. I've noticed this many times over the years and would like to see what you think.

2. Svarog

Svarog New Member

Do you train outdoor?

3. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

unless you train outdoors.... NO.

4. Jackie Li

Jackie Li Valued Member

Not training becaquse of weather is a really bad excuse. Not training because of some rain says something about your commitment.

JL

5. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

For me personally, as an adult without kids, I can't see missing class because of rain (unless it's realy nasty and knocking out the power and such).

However, I do understand when parents of the younger students opt not to bring them out in the rain and risk colds and whatever.

We generally have quieter nights when it rains...

6. Wizzy

Wizzy New Member

Unless you're training outdoors, no. Unless it's some kind of Tsunami or Hurricane, no. Rain can't hurt you.

7. SavageHenry

SavageHenry New Member

If I'm driving, no. If I have to ride my bike, depends on how hard it's raining.

8. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

During the 2004 blackout, I went to the dojo, and we trained in candle/flash light. :D

I have never missed class because of weather, unless the road conditions were so bad, that sensei himself couldn't get there.

People shouldn't make excuses not to train, they should make reasons to train.

9. Omicron

Omicron is around.

Bah! Coming from Vancouver, a little rain never stopped me from training. Neither did a lot of rain, for that matter.

10. inbuninbu

inbuninbu "Train hard, fight easy"

skip class

Weathers a poor excuse imho, unless you train outdoors. (!) Does anyone??? Unless its like a tsunami, hurricane of high danger of flood but that would only apply in a small number of cases, depending on location etc. In general I think ppl are lazy, its easier to stay indoors if its bad weather and watch TV, ne?

I have to say I missed a couple of session when it was snowing earlier this year due to the fact that I have an hours walk in the freezing cold and dark to get to class - no car for me at uni! Also I had a cold (I always have a cold!) but I will freely admit that if I really wanted to have gone I could and would have; it was an excuse more than a reason.

11. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

If our instructor cant make it we pick the highest ranking student to run the class and go over what we already know.
    Rain is no excuse to not train unless you are flooded in.

12. Goju

Goju Yellow Belt

Ya, but the thing is, we get quite a lot of snow here, and sometimes you just can't drive, especially when you live about an hour and 15 mins away like my sensei does. If the other blackbelts with keys to the dojo don't show up, nobody's training.

13. rtkd-badger

rtkd-badger Fundimentaly Manipulated

I have a key to the dojo and we dont get snow here. We often have no blackbelts show up so we just go over the basic drills and our hyungs.

14. Kwondo

Kwondo 3rd Dan WTF Taekwondo

As soon as I finished voting, and saw the results I laughed because no one had said yes. Which is excellent!

Personally I L O V E the rain. And thunderstorms for that matter. I only wish that it was safe enough for one to climb a tree and watch a lightning or thunderstorm. I would never do it of coarse, but you it would be fairly neat.

If I had the choice to train outdoors in the rain, or inside I'd pick outside, I just find it so calmign and it appeals to me so much. But Thats only id it' snot windy and Really stromy.

So in essence, no I think that if you don't show up for class because of a little rain then your not fully comitted. Keeping in mind what Thomas had said about children and REALLY bad weather. I know that in Ontario it snows a lot and sometimes I just won't drive the 20 min drive to class because it's do risky.

15. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd Valued Member

I agree with all of this stuff, but facts are facts. People are just more likely to stay inside whenever some weather comes, ESPECIALLY if it's the first type of whatever sort of weather it is for the season. If it's the first snow of the year, EVERYONE stays home, even if it doesn't stick. Same with the first thunderstorm of the spring. Different=hide out, at least subconsciously.

16. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Training to be a Warrior!

Dear All,

My club operates outdoors or private property. Living in the southeast (Alabama) we have experienced many waves of bad weather. If we were to lay out on rainy days we would miss weeks at a time.

Also, I feel I am setting a bad example if I teach Indomitable Spirit as a strength when facing uncirmountable odds, then dont want to get wet. How can I be a warrior if I am scared of the rain?

TAEKWON!
    SpooKeY

17. popop

popop New Member

I also do love the rain. I especially enjoy running under the rain, it's so nice.
    Back to the topic, people right here tend not to come when it's shiny or when it's really cold. I think weather as a great influence on someone's mood, and so they decide not to come because ... well .. they don't feel like training with all this rain outside ...
    It's just that some people would rather go out when it's sunny, stay at home when it's cold, and train when the other day

It reminds me a joke from my teacher : He always says that only people without girlfriend would come to the saturday evening training session.

18. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

i can't believe that we are discussing such a topic :D :D :D

19. angry

angry Valued Member

I only started the thread as a test. I had half my students missing last night and the most likely reason was that it was cold and wet. I know it is good weather to stay curled up with a nice book but I wasn't to happy about it. The next class will have to be a killer! :D

Well as cold as it gets in a tropical coastal location!

I'm glad to see everyone here has gone with the yes as I expected. You all like your training enough that you hope on here to talk about it, so I didn;t think to many here would want to miss it.

20. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

last winter we had so much snow that we couldn't believe it, but my classes were full. no matter what the weather might be, we train.