Bad Uke

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Princess Haru, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

Would it be okay to 'give it' to someone in Randori who doesn't understand that Uchi Komi is a learning process (but they really should)... or do two wrongs not make a right?

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Not sure what you mean by ''give it so someone'' but really randori should be about polishing your skills.

If this person is a problem during uchi komi perhaps you need to either speak to them or to your instructor and find a way to resolve the problem without making it something that carries through the rest of your training.

What exactly are they doing that bugs you so much and is there a chance that this might be a problem with their lack of learning? What grade are they? Maybe they might improve if they are instructed in proper performance. A way to avoid making it personal might be to talk to the sensei about giving some instruction on uchi komi to the class as a whole so no one feels singled out. If the person is still a dip then maybe avoid them or ask the sensei their opinion on how to deal with it...

FWIW

LFD

3. Kave

Kave Lunatic

I would say two wrongs don't make a right, have you tried talking to them? Often people aren't aware of the fact that their behaviour isn't acceptable, and politely letting them know often solves the problem.

4. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Absolutely. It might evolve into a very interesting session also. You have to be on the same wavelength as your training partner, sometimes that means rather than getting upset they are not operating at yours you have to up the tempo to theirs, and perhaps push beyond it so they understand what you are feeling.

5. Princess Haru

of course. do you really think i'm an idiot. i told her in class twice. i also mentioned it to the most senior ranked woman in the club afterwards, since there are few enough women to practice with on a regular basis. the irony is that she has in several classes made a point of being my partner, and i had noticed the ultra competitiveness during newaza, but not this trait to be completely unhelpful during practice. the only way i can do a practice a combination is by changing it every time. they have possibly done more judo than me as a junior though, and are ungraded but by no means a beginner. i had to tap earlier for what looked like Ashi Kannuki, possibly a Toe Hold, it hurt a lot, not just the ego

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lYsi1Y-rGY"]Gracie Insider - Toe Hold Footlock - YouTube[/ame]

so what i mean by 'give it' is that since it is randori on tuesday and shes likely to attend this one for a change there will be no messing about... sometimes i might work on a particular throw or a grip or whatever combination i've had in mind so a light non competitive not quite throw for throw, some people never show weakness in randori, but it will be competition rules, whatever it takes for your back to meet that mat and not mine ;) since it seems to be the only thing she understands. i don't know if it's a Cambridge thing but i have practiced uchi komi with other women and it's been fine, they stand i do my throw a few times, we swap, etc, it seems fairly simple!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  6. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Go nuts. Randori is supposed to be about learning, but there is nothing wrong with going at it full on with one of the people in your class. As for uchi komi, I'd have a training partner sorted before you step on the mat, so you can just tell her "sorry, training with so and so tonight". There really is no point to training technique with someone who is trying to ruin it for you, so do whatever you have to do to avoid training with her anytime other than randori.

Edit - after seeing your edit, why the hell is she doing foot/toe locks during newaza for? Was this agreed upon ahead of time?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  7. Kave

Kave Lunatic

It sounds like you have done everything you should. If it is affecting your training (and it sounds like it is) then you have carte blanche to raise the level of intensity in randori. As long as you stay within the rules I really can't see the issue.

8. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

If shes trying footlocks in randori, has she a subgrappling background?
    Does she understand what uchi komi is?

9. righty

righty Valued Member

If it is a hard training session then so be it, go hard. But if you are doing it to teach her a lesson or get back at her it won't work. This is simply because she is very unlikely to be able to relate what is happening in randori versus drills such as uchi komi. To get her to understand uchi komi you must do something about it while you are doing uchi komi.

Tell her again and again. Tell your instructor again and again. Ask them for advice on where to go. Ask them to watch the pair of you next time doing uchi komi and step in directly when things go south. Telling the most senior ranked woman in the club won't do much at all unless they play and active teaching role with extra responsibility during class. If it continues, refuse to train with her. If that's what it takes for her to understand then so be it. But just make sure your instructor has your back when you do this and that they already know and understand your situation before taking that step.

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

How's she doing with the actual judo? It sounds like she's got some sort of sub grappling background like others have said so could it be that she's not as comfortable with the judo so she's resorting to what she knows well in an over zealous way?

11. Princess Haru

i'm definitely going to avoid partnering with her in main class, since i need the Uchi Komi work badly on some techniques if i have any hope of getting 4th kyu anytime soon

i doubt shes doing anything else, most Cambridge undergrads i've met barely commit enough time to one sport let along two or three. if she did other things back home as well as Judo thats not impossible but as i've said before she has done Judo before as a junior, enough to know there weren't chokes and armbars, so i'm sure she knows the purpose of Uchi Komi

12. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

go for it during randori. but keep mentioning her behavior to the 'bad uke', senior students and instructors.

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

If I'm training with someone who's giving me a hard time I apply technique harder. It depends on who you're training with of course. If it's a stupid petulant teenager or child you need to be careful. Otherwise feel free to leave bruises and marks.

14. Princess Haru

She didn't show up. Disappointment all round, maybe she's lurking on MAP!