Bad sportsmanship

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by The Decay of Meaning, Aug 18, 2010.

1. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

Yesterday at the BJJ class, I sparred against a black belt in judo who is training at our place. We started off in my guard, and tried to go for an armbar where the feet goes over the trapezius muscles, but he got it off. He tried to grip around my hips to pass, but I got an armless triangle choke. After much agony on his part he tapped out.

Then, we started in his guard. And what does the guy do? He slaps me on my ear! Pretty hard. Not once, but twice. I asked him afterwards that he avoid it, and explained that he hit my air pretty bad. He was like "okay".

Then we start in his guard again, and he slaps my head really hard, to the point I tell him "What the hell, are you hitting me!?!?!?", and he said "No, I'm just hooking your head". But he wasn't trying to break my posture, he just hit me. Two times on the ear, one at the head.

I also know another guy at class. He thinks his jitz is better than anyone elses, he has a really big ego. Recently a guy got an armbar on him, and what does the sore loser do? He tries to slam the dude. I told him while the otehr guy was mid air not to slam him. He looks over to me, looks at his opponent, then he drops him down but slams his shoulder into his ribs so the other guy has to tap.

What's the point of this? Most guys are cool at the gym, but some people see to do stuff like this.

Anyways I'll go back to class later and beat his sore loser ass another day.

Have you experienced this before?

2. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Yup theres always fools like this. They try it with me at training and i volley them ****. They try it with some of the other guys at training who're decent and they still get volleyed to ****. Just don't let them away with it. Make sure the trainer knows but don't whine about it to him - after all, if you go swimming you'll get wet.

3. The Decay of Meaning

The Decay of Meaning Valued Member

What do you mean by volleying them?

What should I do when a guy does **** like that?

I talked to our instructor about it, tried not to whine about it, just tell him objectively. He hadn't heard any other complaints, thought it was an accident, but would tell the slamming guy to not slam. He asked me if the judo guy said sorry. Well, he didn't..

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Happens everywhere. Some people are just plain weird. Egoitus

5. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

The judo guy is new to jits, what about the slammer?

The judo guy explain to him that what he is doing is bad form in BJJ and to work his legitimate moves and that this is training not a match. If he keeps it up don't roll with him. Even though he has a black belt in Judo I think you are seeing some newbie spazz syndrome with him.

As for the other guy, if he's new take the same approach, if not don't roll with him. If the instructor says something tell him you have to go to work the next day and its not worth the chance of an injury rolling with a spazz.

Just my 2 cents.

6. Master Betty

Master Betty Banned Banned

Personally I'd just own em. My ego's too high to take it either way. By volley I mean kick - it's thai boxing I do. If they're new explain it to them patiently. If they still dont listen, take it up a notch.

7. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Jack em up or kick em out. Not much else you can do.

EDIT: You might also try countering the slam. They may not be okay at your gym, but BJJ has answers for the lift.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2010
  8. Martial novice

Martial novice Valued Member

Agree with M1k3jobs. I play a guard game and we sometimes get UFC fans in for a first class - if I start putting on any submission in guard they invariably look panicked and try to slam. Luckily the ones I have told it's bad form to have apologised and been good since, but it's clearly ego (rolling at 30 or 50 percent I know I'm susceptible to ramping up to 90 percent as soon as I think I'm in trouble). More importantly though, as M1k3jobs says, you shouldn't HAVE to roll with that person, and if you make it clear why you're not, they might get the hint better. Even if they don't, they won't be injuring you.

9. -Harlequin-

-Harlequin- Valued Member

There will always be egos in martial arts.

I have enough time keeping my own ego in check, without worrying about other people's.

The best thing to do in these situations is to treat these guys as a test of your own patience, peseverance and endurance, be it physicially or mentally.

If they are numpties, and cheat, and you beat them anyway, then not only have you kept your own cool by not reacting to it but you've proved to yourself that you are a stronger martial artist than them, both with technique and in defeating your own ego.

This is only my way of dealing with it, but I understand 100% why this shouldnt happen in the dojo.

10. righty

righty Valued Member

You get these people in every martial art. Fortunately when told what they are doing wrong, particularly if it's coming from a senior student or instructor in a reasonable way, most of them get their act together.

They key is communication. I've seen people who will whinge about someone they have just sparred 'ooh, they were too rough' etc etc. but won't actually talk to the guilty party about it.

Step 1 - Tell the person who is doing the wrong thing what they are doing and why. Depending on how bad the offense is, inform they instructor of what's going on and what you have done about it. Instructor probably doesn't need to get involved at this point, you are just keeping communication lines open.

Step 2 - If they keep being stupid, tell the instructor. This is when it's the instructor decision on whether to take action. They will either tell you you are overreacting and or step in and talk to offending party.

Step 3 - If it still continues, you should no longer train with the stupid person. Even newbies don't have an excuse after being warned this many times. You won't train with them either as a personal choice for your own safety or the instructor has told them to leave the club for the safety of all club members.

It should never get to the point where someone actually gets hurt unless it's a genuine accident.

There are safety steps you can take in between as well if you are willing. If it's looking to me like someone is having a spaz session when it's my turn to spar them I might say "oh, my back's playing up a bit tonight, so let's go a bit lighter, maybe about 50% and work on technique?" You're injured so they don't have a lot of choice. If they do go hard I just say stop and start clutching at my back and look in lots of pain. It's a win-win situation as I get out of training with a spaz, I don't get injured for real and the stupido get's some impression that their idiotic actions actually do have consequences when they start to feel guilty about it. Some people may not agree with this, but it's only the sort of thing you do when seriously considering not training with a person at all. I'm also very good at belittling people with words if they're being an ****.

11. forever young

forever young Valued Member

porra just squish 'em!!!
    if someone does dick moves on me then they get the old shoulder of justice followed swiftly by a transition to mount, sit on the diaphram and pull the head slightly up then bounce a little followed swiftly by a nice fist in ezequel applied rather abruptly, usually slows dudes down :) After that if they dont respont to the attitude adjustment I damage them so they have a little time to think about their actions. but then im usually the blue who is sent to 'educate' spazzers lol
    oh btw im hovering at around 72kg ;)

12. forever young

forever young Valued Member

im sorry but this is totally wrong and tbh is commonly known as 'being c0ckfayg0t' at the end of the day if you cant deal with bigger stronger more aggressive people you will struggle to get anywhere. I will quantify this by saying you obviously need the skills and experience to back this up but remember kiddies the tap is for OUR saftey, never never take a chance and always tap when appropriate, it really is quite hard to get injured once you realise this, so tap your way to the skills and experience required ;)

13. righty

righty Valued Member

I did say that not all will agree :p
    It doesn't happen often and only as a last resort when the only when you get the point where you probably wouldn't train with them at all (note step 3). In this case it can be a better option. The problem here isn't that they are bigger, stronger, more aggressive or a combination of this. It's that they are disregarding your safety but doing things that are plain stupid. It is a serious situation if things get to this stage at all. You also have to take the situation in context. Some people will get the message better this way, whereas some will learn better if you refuse to spar and clearly explain why. I will repeat that it's an option, you don't have to use it and situations where you may consider it are very rare and you don't have to be as dramatic as it may seem.

Keep in mind here the situation the OP described where an experienced grappler (Judo guy) comes into a new club and thinks it's OK to slap and hit people and keeps doing it after being asked not to. The second guy continued to slam a fellow student straight after being told clearly not to do so. The first case demonstrates communication not having an effect and also a case where it may not be feasible to just smash them next time as they have some experience behind them. The second guy is sounds like he's simply a douche who doesn't listen.

As I said communication is the key. The trouble with just going in and smashing the guy is that it can just make the issue worse. They think, oh, this guy is smashing me, it must be OK then if I smash other people however I can. And then it just all starts down the slippery slope. If you resort to using slightly dirty moves like "the shoulder of justice" (as you put it) then that slope can get a lot steeper, a lot quicker. And sometimes it just shows that your ego is just as big, if not bigger than the person you are supposedly teaching a lesson.

I refuse to rise to the physical bait that numpties offer.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  14. JSun

JSun Valued Member

Smash on 'em. Give the amount of energy they're giving you and ramp up the technique. If you put them in a precarious position with something to think about, people generally slow down and start listening.