Bad Ninjutsu Videos

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by J_Alexander, Feb 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Vicious winds??

They got that from Norm!

2. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

OK people. Let's keep the personal attacks off the forum. Someone's choice of career is not a valid reason to keep taking pot shots at them.

3. MAFKAET

MAFKAET New Member

I wish I had time to attain the video editing skills of some of these people but I am too busy training.

I wish some of these people were also too busy training to learn video editing too.

4. J_Alexander

J_Alexander Valued Member

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuvGCfNWPAQ"]YouTube - GYOKKO RYU.mp4[/ame]

Some great rubbish in here, with particular emphasis on the embarrassing but infamous 2 man attack 'tie up' and not forgetting the sudden 'I must fall to the floor at once' no-throw 'throw'.

I find this video bad because it doesn't leave you with any great sense of looking at a martial art school. All I see is unrealistic, pre-rehearsed 2 man attacks and ukes that fall to the ground, not because they genuinely can't stay on their feet, but because they seem to be pre-programmed to react in such a pathetic manner. The video is more to up the ego of Mr. Cousergue than to teach true Gyokko Ryu.

A particular point that is repeated throughout the video (and the Bujinkan at large) is the 2 man attack/defence 'tie up' patterns. Please stop them - they are ridiculous. Nobody takes them seriously and they clearly are made up, fake patterns to make the practitioner look better than they are. Anyone with a modicum of intelligence can see through them in an instant. It is clear in the video that the ukes just go with it and completely allow themselves to be tied up in the usual fashion. Then they are taken down in the usual fashion. They look like demonstration patterns to 'impress' the young kids in the crowd as opposed to genuine Gyokko Ryu patterns. None of the attacks in the video convey reality and Mr. Cousergue moves in a very bizarre fashion, 80% copying Mr. Hatsumi and 20% of his own made up style.

This video would be better if all the 'tie up' patterns were removed, the 'invisible throw' patterns were removed, the attacks were more realistic, the attire was more traditional, the music was replaced and the actual martial art that is Gyokko Ryu was shown - and correctly.

Jamie.

5. Tsukaneru

Tsukaneru Valued Member

Thanks for sharing! I thought that video was excellent. I do understand what you mean about the two man attack, it would be nice to see a faster version. But overall I think this video doesn't belong here with the others.

6. Bronze Statue

Bronze Statue Valued Member

Why would "more traditional attire" make that much of a difference?

I was under the impression that many koryu and quasi-koryu groups train in karate/judo gi or similar garb.

7. Mark 42

Mark 42 Senior Newbie

What is the name of that technique where your attacker throws himself with just a light
    touch to his wrist? Is it some sort of Ninja mind control method?

8. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

It is called.."BS" :D

9. MAFKAET

MAFKAET New Member

I find it very odd and disheartening that video clips which are probably in the top 0.1% as far as youtube is concerned, are being criticised.

If people are going to criticise Mats Hjelm for henka and Arnaud for kukinage and sannin dori, then they only have to look at clips of Soke where he appears to have no nagare and relies on gaijin to throw themselves on the mat or into the air. And let's face it, Kacem Zhougari's fancy swordplay clips make everyone else, including the grandmaster, look like chimps with a stick.

So, many of you are either the cultists that you are often accused of being, or deluded.

The simple fact is that video is not sufficient to judge skill (apart from the blaringly obvious examples), otherwise no one would go to Japan, they would just buy Quest DVDs (most of which are pirated on youtube anyhow).

I have trained with lots of people who don't look so good from the sidelines, but when you 'feel' what they can do it opens your eyes.

A chimp with a stick doesn't look so clever, but when he/she hits you with it, you will know about it.

Yes Arnaud's ukes in his videos seem to give in very easily and pre-emptively take dives like bad aikidoka, but they are clearly often in much pain, which means he must be doing something right, and I have witnessed him doing the same to big Europeans.

I tend to reserve judgment until I have first hand experience. Arnaud is better than a poor appraisal of his videos might suggest, and Kacem is more than a swashbuckling show off. I am also reliably informed that Soke may look doddery much of the time, but welcomes decent ukes and still does the business.

10. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

At least my winds are real:Angel:

11. benkyoka

benkyoka one million times

I didn't see kukinage in that clip.

12. Tenzan

Tenzan Valued Member

There are people here who seem to be only able to critisize and attack.
    Tanemura Sensei told us many times we do not have to start (or get involved in) discussions on the internet and especially not with people from Bujinkan and Jinenkan.
    As a Genbukan member do not think your negative blabla here will go unnoticed by Tanemura Sensei.
    Concentrate on your own training and that of your students if you have them.
    Let me clarify : Tanemura Sensei told us many times we do not have to start (or get involved in) discussions on the internet and especially not with people from Bujinkan and Jinenkan.
    Because Tanemura Sensei sees this as having bad manners.

Last edited: May 5, 2011
  13. MAFKAET

MAFKAET New Member

No, you're quite right, I chose it as perhaps the pinnacle of examples of 'invisible throw' type action, as alluded to by Jamie.

I'm not saying these kind of 'techniques' would never work, but the examples of them cast out into the eternal ether of youtube are borderline with the following well known example of martial arts magic gone wrong:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEDaCIDvj6I"]YouTube - Kiai Master vs MMA[/ame]

Now this is particuarly ridiculous, but how many high ranking Bujinkan 'masters' would suffer a similar fate to the 'Kiai Master'?

14. Count Duckula

Count Duckula Valued Member

Is the word 'discussion' here used with the meaning of having an argument / disagreement (negativity), or is it used for all type of discussion, such as those about the history and cultural background of our art?

15. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Tenzan,

I can appreciate what you're advising your fellow Genbukan members to do but this forum serves as a representation of the art that you study. Should there be no representation by those from your organization due to the fact that it could be seen as bad manners? In my opinion, that would do a great disservice to people who feel that certain well established behaviors by others involved in this art aren't entirely appropriate representations of "Ninjutsu." For the most part, the students and teachers involved in your organization have provided a needed counterbalance to a lot of what has happened over the years on various "Ninjutsu" subforums. Their increased presence is of great service to those who are looking for something different that will look and feel right to the right types of people. I hope that Tanemura Sensei will allow this counterbalancing to continue.

Thank you to the Genbukan students and teachers who choose to interact here.

Respectfully,

Fu Bag

:bow1:

16. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Oh, that's a nasty little fist. Hate gettin' hit by that one. :)

17. EWBell

EWBell Valued Member

Kyoshi Coppens,

I must ask to whom this is intended?

18. Tenzan

Tenzan Valued Member

I was talking about the "negative blabla".
    Sorry if it was not clear.
    And of course this is toward the Genbukan members.
    One in particular here.

19. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Do genuine people really call themselves kyoshi as a title?

20. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.