bad judge call?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by raaeoh, Oct 19, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This....

Contradicts this.

You assume.

A few holes in this story.

2. itf-taekwondo

itf-taekwondo Banned Banned

I just told you I did not want to ask him point blank, right at that very moment of his asking, if they pay for me and the other details. It does not contradict him asking if I want to join them.

It's in May 2015.

3. Simon

It definitely does.

He's the assistant national team coach, a position of some responsibility and he's asked you to tag along without clearing it with the team, the governing body, the senior coaches and whoever else need to know.

This also is without checking travel and hotel arrangements.

Talk about bad judge call (see what I did there)?

4. itf-taekwondo

The two statements are very much compatible and not contradictory. Let me assure you of that as a Logic undergraduate.

Your a genius.

5. Simon

Haha, the stories get better.

Whatever, dude.

If I have time later I'll try and find some details for the national team and send them a message to confirm your statements.

Logic would dictate this is a sensible way to conclude this conversation.

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

And he's going to let some white belt with a couple of weeks of training spar with his competition team?
    Something utterly unproductive for people at that level with a fair chance of injury?
    This assistant coach sounds great. :(

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

[​IMG]

:p

Not without direct confirmation of all the coaching staff. This doesn't explain why their team would want a relative noob tagging along.

Just to be clear, the comp is in May 2015?

8. itf-taekwondo

9. Simon

Who knows? What kind of logic is that?

Either he knows or you do.

10. itf-taekwondo

I will ask them today and let you know.

11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

When was that Paul,? It's an odd one, which probabaly wouldn't happen these days.

Team sparring is for the national squads only, and all of them compete regardless of the situation.

The other team sparring is tag team sparring, which is run more as a fun event at the end of the tournament and all members of the team have to spar.

Unless it was a local with different rules?

Sucks to have that happen, and it shouldn't these days.

Mitch

12. Simon

So Mr Logic Graduate, you'll ask him today.

That tells me you don't know the detail, therefore he does.

So he has cleared this with the head coach, the governing body and the team?

More holes than a Swiss cheese.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Can't really remember the details. It would have been early-mid 90's I think. I was a coloured belt so it wasn't any sort of national squad thing. And it wasn't tag either.
    I usually trained in Exeter but this one happened to fall when I was in London for the summer and training with James Grogan (now a film stunt man). I was pretty handy in my day so got picked for the team anyway but understandably they let the more regular club guys fight before me. And then things unfolded as described.
    It was a shame because I'd done a previous team comp with Exeter and it was brilliant. The atmosphere when you have a team at the side supporting is great.

14. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

It is a real shame that, wouldn't happen now thankfully.

Having trained with you, you're still pretty handy these days too :)

Mitch

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So long as it's the afternoon...and I've had a good warm up...and I've had enough sleep...and didn't lift weights in the previous 48 hours...and my back's not playing up...and we're going gently. THEN I'm a handful...for at least 5 minutes. :)

16. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Everything Simon has said is absolutely correct. I don't think you have any idea of the expense and commitment required to go to these competitions.

Let’s say you won't be competing, which you aren't and will be travelling as some sort of entourage.

First things first. You most likely won't be travelling with the team. Those arrangements will be made in advance most likely by a travel management company and your name will not be on the flight. The team and only the team will stay together. You could end up lucky and book the same flight as the team but this is unlikely.

Secondly - The hotel, these are very expensive and your organisation may put some money towards the team staying at the hotel but there will be a financial burden on the attendee as well. They will not be subsidising you. Money is thin on the ground.

Thirdly - There is absolutely no way you will be allowed onto the mat to spar whatsoever. Usually at these competitions the team coach is the only person allowed at the side of the mat. Some team coaches here could verify. This means you will be observing and paying your ticket for the days of competition. The Euros lasted a week. You would be on your own for this length of time. Maybe see the team at night.

There is a whole host of admin fees etc. that need to be paid for as well.

Check this document and a pay particualr attention to article 30 regarding who is allowed on the mat http://www.itftkd.org/pics/texte/ITF_tournament_rules_Sep_2011.pdf

In fact if I were you I would familiarise myself with the entire document.

In my old club my instructor was the National team coach. We sent ten participants to the Euros. The cost was £1, 800 per person not including admin fees etc – that’s £18,000.

The organisation gave what it could, the community and local businesses helped out and the club ran race nights and stuff to raise the money, of course the attendees also paid what they could and my instructor threw a few thousand out of his own pocket into the mix. When all was done and dusted there was no room for baggage.

Baza

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  17. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

This post is spot on. There's so much to consider with anything like this that you (ITF-TKD) will probably find it hard to get people to find your story credible that an assistant coach just happens to ask a newbie along to a serious competition trip and get it authorised - especially when you have no idea if the other coaches have agreed. Which, being an undergraduate in logic :rolleyes:, you will of course know.

Rhythmkiller - I love you. Marry me? :love:

Don't worry, I jest.

Sort of. :D

18. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

I accept...........................hehehehe i'm not joking ;)

Baza

19. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Please keep us updated :)

20. itf-taekwondo

The cost is all on me. I will travel with my club mates- same flight, hotel, for extra fee: access to all inclusive and entrance just by or outside at the mat during the event and not just spectator seat. I will stay by the national team at all times. We will travel down a few days before the event to adjust to the climate. The head of the board, as well as the head coach has approved of me face to face.