Bad hip flexor

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mark, Aug 10, 2002.

1. Mark

Mark New Member

I damaged my right front hip flexor about a year ago and it still gives me problems. We have a few kicks in tai chi class so I practice them every so often. But after a few practice kicks it hurts until I cant lift my knee anymore. When my muscles are warm I don't feel anything as long as I don't do anything rigorous. Should I stay away from all the kicking martial arts? Is there something I can do to help it heal?

Mark

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Hi

Do know which of the three hip flexors you have damaged?

Psoas Major?

Iliopsoas?

Rectus Femoris? (Not a true hip flexor but as it crosses the joint it does flex the hip)

How did it happen?

Do you do any specific stretches or strengthening exercises for it?

3. Mark

Mark New Member

I looked for a diagram of the hip muscles on the internet and judging by the location of the pain Iliagus or Psoas Major might be it. It seemed to coincide with me doing safety squats at the gym. I don't do any stretching or strengthening excercises on my hips but I will if it'll help.

Mark

4. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Ok - so can I assume that because you don't know exactly what muscle you damaged that you didn't have a physio treat it? If not them that should be your first step - get it looked at & have a prelim treatment - it'll be the best £25 you ever spent. The physio will also tell you how best to stretch & strengthen it.

So - what do you think?

5. Mark

Mark New Member

You assume correct. Me and my brother don't have medical insurance. I talked to my mom and she figures now is as good a time as any to get some.

Mark