Backhand techniques?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by froopunch, Jun 18, 2013.

1. froopunch

froopunch New Member

Does traditional Muay Thai train these techniques, such as a regular backfist (not the spinning one) and hammerfist? I saw Lungu pull it off in one of his fights, where he threw a big swing and it missed, then came back around and clipped the guy with a looping backfist. Just wondering if that was traditionally taught as part of the style, or more of a Dutch thing

2. froopunch

froopunch New Member

chet, I should have put this in the Thai Boxing section. Could somebody move it please?

3. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Done :)

Mitch

4. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Yes it is allowed , not taught , more of a cheeky move someone happens to mess with in sparring and the occasion may arise in competition to throw it

5. daggers

daggers Valued Member

On a side note I think Thai boxing focuses more on how and when to throw techniques , using the techniques most likely to cause effect with lowest risk of counter or loss of balance rather than amount of techniques in the arsenal
    The more techniques to choose from the slower the reactions are

6. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

It depends on what you mean by 'traditional muay thai'. I didn't really do much of these in competitive Muay Thai. Only when we were going through the trad techniques (mae mai and luk mai - major and minor tricks).

I did land a few 'roundel blows' (old style boxing name for a 'backarm') in bouts though. And, as long as you don't overcommit (don't allow your centre mass to go far beyond your centreline - leaving you exposed to a clatching) then they work great.

Later doing Muay Chiaya particularly - There's loads of these 'backfists' - Done with the entirety of the back arm from hammer fist to elbow tip. And when you land one with a strong twisting of the body they're like a wrecking ball.

Chiaya also uses 'doorknock' knuckles strikes done in figure of eight = doorknock knuckle strike followed by back arm - like thrashing with a stick.

Again done so you don't expose your centreline (Chiaya particularly is madkeen on guarding your centreline at all times).

Good Luck

7. froopunch

froopunch New Member

This is precisely what I was getting at... seen a lot of that type of motion in Yaw-Yan, and was wondering if the Thais had a version of it as well. :)

By 'traditional' I guess I meant the Thai style, as opposed to Dutch or Japanese variations.

8. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Look into Muay Chiaya and Muay Korat for more of these 'backarm blows'. Those are the most well-known of the Old-Styles. Both share some similarities. Chiaya is known as the 'Durian' system (pick up a durian fruit you get hurt by its spikes - It's also really smelly but that's another story).

Ah I see. Each type of 'traditional' Muay (varying from camp to camp too) has it's own major and minor tricks. These show the technical concepts of Thai Martial Arts.

In most ring-rules orientated camps, classes etc the techniques are whittled down (distillated) into 'biggest bang for your buck' (as alluded to by Daggers in this thread).

Saying that though ALL good Muay Thai schools should show you Mae and Luk Mai techniques. Most of which are 'borderline' or banned under ring-rules.

You'll see from them that there's load of things in muay thai that most folks don't realise ('heaven to earth' \ and 'earth to heaven to earth' type throwing /\, limb breaks, strikes with all parts of the body including backarming, stiff-arming etc etc).

Good Luck