Back to shape from an injury

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by sh31kk1, Dec 8, 2011.

1. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Hello all reading this,
    This is mainly a way for me to keep myself motivated and exercise. In here you will find my record of what I did and maybe an explanation. no guarantees though...

A bit of background. Just gained mobility of my back after I received an injury taking away most of its mobility. Now I can somewhat function like an average being. Thus my main focus will be on my core here...

Today was a busy day, so I only managed to do a little bit of exercise.

15x Ab wheeler
    15x sledgehammer swings
    15x ab wheeler
    15x sledgehammer swings
    15x ab wheeler
    15x sledgehammer swings

Got sweaty. really need to get back into shape... plus going to try a high fruit diet from tomorrow onwards.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

3. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Welcome to map, and welcome to the training logs! Nice to see another sledge hammer guy! Or as I like to say: IT'S HAMMER TIME!

4. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Wow, sort of surprised at the warm welcome i have received here..

Anyways, have been really busy now, which is surprising to myself, which unfortunately limits my time working out and back to shape... anyways here what I had time for today.

shovelling snow as a warm up and carrying a heavy television (roughly 100kg) upstairs to its new location...

dumbell lunge and rotation
    sledge hammer
    plank
    dumbell push press
    plank
    sledge hammer
    dumbell row
    push-ups
    dumbell lunge and rotation
    sledge hammer
    kettle ball swings
    kettle ball circles around myself

wrist curls: three times 10x5kg for both hands

5. reconnoiter

reconnoiter Valued Member

Good good! Now I'll be able to make sure you are getting back to shape :p

6. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Okay... today my back said NO! so I took the day off and rested...
    well I did go on a walk to clear my thoughts and came upon and interesting fact. Kicking blocks of snow during a walk, is surprisingly effective. sure it doesn't get you all sweaty, but it does provide some changes to your walk as well as a bit of extra training if one is seeking for it.

7. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

All righty then, today was good day. Got Bas Ruten's workout CDs.
    Did the "boxing tape" A-side. a good thirty minutes on the bag, plus setting it up as a warm-up. The area I have my boxing bag in is a very odd bomb-shelter, with lots of miscellaneous stuff in there which I had to move in order to set up my "ring" (basically just enough space for me to move around and punch the bag). It was a great workout, but it just showed me how much i've been set-back because of my injury. have to work hard to regain what was lost.
    And what needs to be lost. Realized that during my period of limited mobility I've gained fat. not nice. used to weigh 82.5kg (that's roughly 182 lbs) three weeks ago before going on a two main meal per day principle. weighed in today at 80.5kg (thats 177lbs), but I want to get to near 75kg (165lbs), meaning to get rid of this blubber around my mid-section, mostly.
    Any advice on this would be appreciated.

oh and I almost forgot, did a little warm-down before hitting the shower.
    3x15 sledge hammer
    3x15 dumbell rows
    a minute of bicep curl to shoulder press with a kettle ball for both hands. (Sorry, but I don't know the name of this move)

8. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Today my back was telling me no, for the whole day about excessive movements, meaning more than sitting or walking or picking up a bag. So when I was running in a hurry to pick up a package, my back wasn't that happy. But it didn't say or do anything after I had stopped running which I take as a good sign. But my back didn't like my idea of shoveling the snow instead of plowing it. hey i got my midsection some action with twists, a lot like dempsey hooks, but well, its just shoveling snow in reality, and i'm a bit delusional... :D
    Anyhow so basically rested with the exception of doing twenty push-ups and holding the plank for roughly a minute. got to say my body was against me today...

9. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Have you tried applying heat to your back when it's acting up? I find it really helps mine.

10. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

No actually I haven't tried applying any heat to it when it's acting up. But now that you mentioned it, when I go to the sauna when it's acting up, it helps. Thank you! I will definetly remember this and apply it to see how much it actually helps me out :D

Today I managed to squeeze in an 45minute workout, despite the busy schedule.

Did the following circuit:
    Kettlebell Mid-Pull a bit over a minute per hand
    20 squats
    20 wide grip push-ups
    30-70 seconds of rest before going at it again

I did six sets of these and I finished off with kettlebell circulating my head one minute in a clockwise direction and another minute in the other direction.
    did the plank for a minute and then finished it off with a 30 seconds instead of the minute of the circulating head kettlebell thing (this time also did it with a lighter kettlebell).

11. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I pulled a muscle in my lower back a few years ago and I can often feel it tightening up - particularly after a heavy set of deadlifts - and I find sticking one of those microwavable hot beanbags on the tight area really helps relax it and keep me mobile.

12. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Thanks! I will definitely try this out ;)

13. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

After two days of rest, I went to the gym in the morning.

Unfortunately had to leave a bit earlier than I planned, because my training partner got injured a bit. As it was I didn't really have enough time to do everything which I planned on doing.

Warmed-up with rowing for about ten minutes
    followed by this:
    Kettlebell Mid-Pull 9-11x12.5kg (27.5lbs) (this was done with a dumbell in each hand though... but the movements were similar)
    goblet squats 20x9kg (19.8 lbs)
    Y-press 8x8kg (17.6 lbs)
    slightly bent lateral raises 7x7kg (15.4 lbs)

did this little circuit for five times before finishing it off with farmer's walk, before I had to leave...

14. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Okay now I've had two days off to rest my back. Gonna do something later this evening.
    On sunday I got my back taped due to its pain levels. however It should be fine now... hopefully....

15. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Be careful, I'm still nursing mine, it was bad this morning.

16. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

All righty then, still alive, but a bit on the leave from training though... So I've decided to tweak it a bit into a more body-weight thing.
    Totally spent today though... spent about three hours scrubbing the sauna. From the walls to the floor. All of it, plus all the other heavy chores in the house. Yea, not much but still something...

17. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

I'm back from my self imposed rest period and exile to Christmas wonderland. And what a way to get back it was. Went to the gym with reconnoiter in the morning and warmed up in the gym before we tried a funny version of Bas Ruten's Thai CD. We swopped the performer of each combo and used each other as training dummies (or as uke, i believe is the term with karate or other Japanese speaking martial arts) :p was surprisingly fun and effective. Got some good tips for some kicks to finish a combo.

But while reconnoiter was running in the gym I warmed up with a couple of machine which were kinda of wonky before I decided to go for a more "traditional" approach.

10x12kg Kettlebell Mid-pulls (well done with dumbbells in each hand)
    10x9kg Y-press
    10x6kg Lateral raises
    10x24kg Bench press with dumbbells

10x16kg Kettlebell Mid-pulls (well done with dumbbells in each hand)
    10x10kg Y-press
    10x6kg Lateral raises
    10x32kg Bench press with dumbbells

10x14kg Kettlebell Mid-pulls (well done with dumbbells in each hand)
    10x10kg Y-press
    10x6kg Lateral raises
    10x32kg Bench press with dumbbells

And then it was down to the basement for the "Dummy practice"

Also waking up early tomorrow morning to go to work. I occasionally work as a mover. A good thing for all students (like me) or anyone else who is into martial arts, to try out as you basically get paid for working out ;)

18. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

I have realized that I keep forgetting to add my plank and side planks here... oh well silly me.
    Anyways the whole moving business went easier than expected. just two packing gigs and it was done. felt good to be working again. Tomorrow should be more MOVING of stuff actually. :D the icy condition of the streets isn't going to stop me! oh and also yesterday after work i got in a cardio session of around 45 to 60 minutes. didn't really realize that I should look at a clock until I was done :p but that's just me being silly again

19. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

Okay, got to say that Thursday was a bit dissapointing day at work... nothing much done, just extremely time consuming packing. But Friday was a proper day. Got paid for working out from 7.30 to 11.40 was good. Even my back was okay until i over-extended a stretch later that evening... But it's all okay now :)

Happy and sweaty New Year to all of you!

20. sh31kk1

sh31kk1 Valued Member

okay got a bit of a flu on me now.... but on the bright side it didn't stop me from working. Had my last day of work on the second of January (Monday) and it consisted of them heavy lifts such as a sound proof room and archived paper work. heavy stuff and customer's couldn't decide right away where they wanted it all. But I don't mind. Came home then after work and did two rounds of shadow boxing with Bas Ruten, but had to stop because of the flu. Yesterday was spent on resting as well.