Back to Roots

Discussion in 'Judo' started by 47MartialMan, Jun 4, 2013.

1. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Yesterday, I was attending a event in a large metropolis. I live about two and a half hours from this city. It is difficult to travel to it unless for a special occasion. While at this event, I ran into a old colleague whom I used to have Judo sessions with. I wasn't into his ranking system, but I always had enjoyed the workouts. He invited me to join him for a workout after the event. I had replied, that I would love to, but I did not have any gear (uniform) with me. So obdurate was he, that he told me I could use one at the school. Therefore, without any other excuses, and a strong enthusiasm, I met him at his club afterwards.

I was allowed to work out with two of his classes, back-to-back sessions. We paused between the sessions, as he also called me into his office. He had mentioned that it appeared to him that I was "forcing it". That I had seemed a little more "aggressive" than in the past. He had asked, that after the second and last session if I would mind sticking around for soji. I had always enjoyed soji as it gave me more time to discuss not only martial art related, but anything else.

After that second class, before soji, he had seen something different in my appearance, and had suggested that we return to the office. He had commented on how pale by face looked. He knew I was a diabetic, and immediately he gave me some water and a piece of candy.

While he and I were relaxing in the office, I read a plaque on his wall (I have always read and known about this plaque) which read; "No Worries - Do Judo". I used to tease him about the wording "Sounding Aussie". This was never the intention of the plaque.

While performing soji, there was the subject of aging as well as things we could no longer to physically. Somewhere, I cannot remember the student or details, I read Bruce Lee was working out with said student, and that the student told Bruce, he could no longer do certain things upon aging as well (Please - anyone, if you know about this session, who was the student and the details.)

Looking at how efficient he still was, my old Judo colleague said that he learned to adapt and was always steadfast on the course of his beloved Judo. I truly started to understand that plaque!!!

"No Worries - Do Judo".