Back Into It

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Willsy, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Hi all, have been away for a while but I felt drawn back.

Basically, after waking up at 3.30pm on Friday 2 weeks ago, I decided that my situation was ridiculous and that I needed to get myself back into a routine, since I fall into a hopeless spiral when I don't have one. This means back to the weights and running to get my old lifestyle back so that hopefully I don't fail university! My aim is to gain muscle mass and get from my current 74kg/163lb, which I haven't been above in my life, up to 80kg/176lb, see how I like that weight, then maybe continue up to 85kg/187lb. I'm 5'11".

Me, I've generally been more of a runner/any cardio than a lifter, as I struggle to put on weight. Even since stopping rowing 2 years ago and doing next to nothing, just karate, since, I haven't gained or lost weight and still have a BF of around 10% despite the fact I eat takeaways 3 times a week or more, snack on pies and live off pasta.

Have looked around a bit and after following a link from this forum have decided to go with DeFranco's Westside for Skinny Bastards (Is that word allowed?) choosing techniques from his list that I feel suit me best, ie mostly the basic compound exercises.

The main things I want to ask are:
    For my max days on Squat/Bench, should I go for a 5x5 routine or a higher volume pyramid, ie starting at 12 reps and working down to 5 or so, keeping in mind I want to put on weight and:
    What supplements do I really need and what are some good shake ideas?

Thanks in advance,
    Steve

2. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

Um, neither, really. If I recall correctly, the program prescribes a 3 or 5 repetition max. The idea is that there is only one real 'work set', and that you use the other sets to warm up for that one. You can do the mathematics with working out exact percentages of your 1 rep max and all that, but I never bother- I guess. The first three or four sets should be easy(8-12 reps), then go for one or two heavier ones with lower(3 or 5 in this case) reps, then finally stick on as much as you think you can handle and go for a 5 rep max.
    Personally, I'd go for starting strength instead: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/most_recent/who_wants_to_be_a_novice_you_do Well, I am. So I would say that.
    You don't 'really need' any supplements. Until you've got your diet in excellent order, I wouldn't screw around with them. NB: this depends on how much chunk you're carrying. If you're chubby, about 3500 calories should do it, with no milk.In your case though, you'll need more food and some milk.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2011
  3. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Sorry, forgot that, the program does suggest working towards a 5 or 3 rep max, but it suggests getting there through solely sets with no more than 5 reps, starting at a low weight and working up. I just wondered that since I'm pretty rubbish at bench, maybe I should go for some conditioning first?

After reading your link, I wanna take back my comment about conditioning, but it's just that I've always been told starting with high reps and working downwards is a bit more beneficial.

4. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

If that's what you've always been told but you haven't gotten any results, maybe it's time to try something new.

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I agree with Kuma.

When working to a 5-3 rep max this is how I would ramp roughly:

Bar x 5-8
    50%x5
    60x5
    80%x3-5
    90%x2-3
    100%x1
    110%x5

Percents are rough and of a 5RM.

FWIW I think WS4SB (see how I avoid the word as I'm not sure ether :)) is a great program for beginners to intermediate lifters and one I think you'll do well in if you EAT and work hard.

6. Willsy

Willsy 'Ello love

Thanks guys, I'll go with what the WS4SB program suggests for a couple months and see if I notice a decent improvement, the pyramiding worked for me with squats but not so much with bench, but maybe I just need to stop whining and do it!