back for good

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by d0ugbug, May 5, 2011.

1. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Thats kinda what i teach now but i dont call it San Shou

2. d0ugbug

The problem is there is so much crap in my area and only very little good! Eagles Gym is a great Muay Thai place (and im freidns with the owner) but I just not got the will for that kind of training any more.

Most of the kickboxing clubs are off cuts of TKD or Karate and as a result do alot of sloppy traditional work and call it kickboxing which aint for me. (outer forearm blocks for example and crazy line work)

Half the instructors in the area just don't like me because I don't charge £60 for kickboxing trousers and a t-shirt, the rest hate my condition aspects and that goes for the students.

Other classes then I either just don't get on well enough with the instructor first impressions and all that, or I'm unsure about what is going on in the art to really know if its worth my time and investment. Also I hate the fact I can't just train and I need to grade in order to progress ARGH even if i ask the instructor its a flat no in some cases I've even offered the years grading fees up front but I don't want a rank just want to enjoy it

That's why I like the TBD stuff I can mix up the techniques to add to my current skill set which if you have a martial arts past the instructors encourage it to let the art develop the foot work they do is crazy, anyone who knows me and seen me train there knows I just stand still and then hit back when i need to LOL so its going to get me lighter on my toes

But if I could get a decent class and I don't mind traveling upto 4 hours (round trip if required) where I can just get on with it and maybe a different extreme to what im used such as Tai Chi as Doom mentioned I'm more than game to give it a go :)

* I should mention I been invited to a ninjutsu class next week now giving my past experiences with ninjas, chairs and the police im more than happy to go there with an open mind :)

Last edited: May 6, 2011
  3. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

You need to move up here John, you'd love either of Russ's gyms :)

4. embra

embra Valued Member

If I pass by Cardiff, I'll give you a visit.

5. d0ugbug

I'm trying to convince the wife to move up north mate, i need a better argument than i will have a ripped chest again though ;)

6. d0ugbug

I've not got a club no more (I was 350 strong at one time) but I can get access to gyms if your ever passing I have 2 students at the moment who I only do 1 on 1 work with my aim is to maybe get a total of 5 within the next 2 years and leave it at that.

Cover allot of drills etc but its mainly passing on what I was shown by my instructor etc as my background has always been 1 on 1 with only 2-3 years in a traditional 25+ class environment

7. d0ugbug

I think so, although I no longer own a xbox :( shows, beers and bouncers are something the future holds i think ;)

8. Moi

No XBox? Shame on you. Haven't used mine in months TBH.

9. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

There's an Enshin dojo in Gloucester run by a Polish guy called Pavel. Having sparred some of his students (many Poles themselves) I can confirm they hit hard, train hard and fight well. :D

If you like I can get you his contact details? AA website reckons Gloucester's maybe an hour or so from you?

Mitch

10. d0ugbug

Cool! I'll take a look, do you go there as well Mitch? If you got a website with training times etc I can see if there is a night or two that fits

11. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Good to see you back on here bloke!!

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

PM sent :)

Mitch

13. d0ugbug

Here you go Kuma, if you really want when I get home I can take a better photo rather than using the iphone ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. d0ugbug

Yup that is what I heard thats why id like to go back and give it another go ;)

15. Moi

Minger!

16. d0ugbug

Love you 2

17. embra

embra Valued Member

To be completely honest, I learn a lot more with maybe 2-3 other folk and 1 teacher i.e. my weaknesses are really exposed and you really explore the others' weaknesses; and together you work on what to do about the weaknesses. Its much easier to learn (for me at least) from 2-3 repeated experiences than 25 different experiences.

Sometimes in 25+ classes I learn a lot, but other times its minimal.

18. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Don't hold yer breath. They sent my "promising" samples to a military lab for "further development", as well...I've yet to see a single ££ for it ;)

19. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

i just ate....wish i never looked at this.

20. d0ugbug

ha! and I was about to ask why did they send it... :rolleyes: