Back exercises using a barbell

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Blevunly, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

So, what does everyone view as the best exercise for your upper/mid back using a barbell? Best as in strength wise.

2. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Laying row.

3. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

stick the BB in a corner and do some modified T-bar rows

4. NaughtyKnight

Personally. I'd go with single armed dumbell rows. I get much better results than a barbell.

5. g-bells

g-bells Don't look up!

^^^^^ or some basic pull/chin ups

6. Blevunly

Blevunly Valued Member

I included the part about barbell exercises because that's all I have access too. I have no dumbells and no place to do pull ups. I've been doing bent rows, but don't seem to have much luck with them, I will try out the T bar row. Thanks for the replies.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Throw that bar in a rack... kick your feet up... get under the bar horizontally and do a pull up. Pull yourself up to the bar while remaining horizontal to the floor. Contract the lats and shoulder blades... it's a killer. Bring your sternum to the bar... keeping your body rigid... helps if feet are up on something about same heigth as bench.

You'll be surprised how few you can do.

There is an actual name for this but I can't remember it. But it's the one that gets everyone. :D

edit:
    I do them on a ladder (actually underneath the ladder) as hanging as if I was about to bench press with my feet kicked up on a chair. It's gonna drive me nut thinking of the name... someone help me out... :eek:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  8. NaughtyKnight

Its called a Body Row :p.

9. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Thank God for the brains. :D

http://www.ringtraining.com/articles/bodyrow.htm

but there must be another name for them as well... a quick Google comes up with all sorts of nonsense exercise machines. Mostly endorsed by Suzanne Sommers. :bang:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2007
  10. NaughtyKnight

There may be other names for them, but I've only ever heard them called Bodyrows. They are one of the best exerices you can do to build up the strength required to do full pullups.

I hang a towl over the railings in my garage, and using a ladder to rest my feet, pull myself up horizontally like that. The towl works your forearms to the brink of destruction :D.

11. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

barbell rows - bent at a 45 degree angle
    t-bar rows - one end of the barbell jammed into a corner
    deadlifts - work the whole back

12. Socrastein

Socrastein The Boxing Philosopher

Inverted row.

13. koto_ryu

koto_ryu Common sense is uncommon

Bent-over rows with a barbell, without: pull-ups.