Back at it - my log.

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Bigmikey, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I think I'm going to try to keep a log here. As of tonight I've started lifting again. I set it all aside in order to focus on my last Hapkido test as going to class sore would have hindered my performance and might have hurt my chances to pass the test. But now its back to normal... only nearly 3 months have gone by so its almost like starting over.

The basic plan is a Tuesday, Fri, Sat split - Tuesday = Back, Biceps and Trap. Friday = Chest, Triceps and delts. Saturday = Legs (as much as I can. Probably mostly stretching and cals).

So for today I did the following

Pullups: 5, 5, 6, 4

Bent over cable rows: 100 x 12, 120 x 10, 140 x 8
    Standing lat pulldowns: 60 x 8, 9, 8
    seated lat pulldowns: 120 x 12, 140 x 9, 160 x 7, 180 x 6

Seated incline dumbell hammer curls: 30 x 11, 35 x 8, 40 x 7, 45 x 4
    Standing alternate dumbell curls: 35 x 9, 40 x 6, 45 x 4, 30 x 8, 25 x 8

Standing barbell shrugs: 135 x 15, 185 x 11, 225 x 7, 275 x 4, 225 x 6

All in all it wasnt as pathetic as I feared. Still the endurance wasnt there and the strength had dropped a lot. We'll see how the soreness sets in. The next workout is going to be chest, tri's and delts. I'll post it when I get 'er done.

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Cool Mikey. :cool:

(Those weights are in tons right?)

3. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Nice effort for getting back into it! Also pretty nice to see a training log, might start my own next week since I'm on deload this week and sitting on my butt doesn't make for good reading!

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

how much do you weight right now? (just so i know how much i should hate you for the pullups :p)

5. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Boom!

Good stuff mikey. Glad to see you back at it.

6. Bigmikey

A doughy 258 on my doctors scale and 262 on mine so I'll call it a done deal at 260 even.

7. Fish Of Doom

awesome! you aiming for any specific weight now, or just going with the flow and see where you end up?

8. Bigmikey

I think the thing now is to keep the reps higher, weight lower and really focus on full range of motion movement, stricter form. No cheat sets. I'm going for quality over quanitity. As I progress back to some semblance of condition I'll increase volume and add cardio/cals to round it out as well as some plyometrics for legs and start the running I keep talking about. I wll also add bag work as a regular part of my warmup.

All of that is a departure from what I've done in the past. I'm interested to see the results.

9. Fish Of Doom

nice! looking forwards to seeing how you do :D

10. Bigmikey

(Thanks to the staff for clearing this out for me. I'm actually going to be trying to keep this somewhat on topic moving forward so while I wont get cranky if theres some jesting, I'd like it to stay to a minimum please?)

Tonight will be the first trip back with any seriousness since my last post. Sad but necessary. I'm hoping that with a few things taken care of now I'll be able to concentrate and get back to work.

As a sidenote, anyone in Illinois wanna be my lifting partner? Theres free bottled water, no membership dues and occassionally free GRUB!! Anyone? Anyone? Ah well...

Ok, Workout time!!

Warm up consisted of practicing my breaking techiques from white through greenbelt with my left hand as opposed to the right as we learn in class and 20 minutes of asst. bag work.

Pullups: 6, 5.5, 3.5.... ok, so much for those... ego? Who needs an ego. They're overrated. ONWARD!
    Lat pulldowns, wide bar, wide grip: 110x16 (great burn to make up for my wretched performance on pull ups), 130x10, 150x8, 170x8
    Bentover barbell rows (I havent done these in a while but talking with Leigh B today got me thinking so I'm going to start light and make sure I still have the form down first): 135x14 (not sure what I'll get out of this one as my back is already somewhat fatigued from pulldowns oddly enough but we'll give her a go), 135x14, 155x12, 175x9, 195x4

I think work is getting to me, and not sleeping well enough because I'm fatiguing so stinkin fast. Eh, its probably just the price I pay for having been a lazy ****...... oh well, time for some biceps

Seated incline dumbell hammer curls: 25s x 15, 30s x 11, 35s x 9, 40s x 8, 45s x 5
    Standing alternating dumbell curls: 35s x 8, 40s x 5, 30s x 7, 25s x 6

Shoulders and traps (last minute addition)

Upright rows - 3 sets with 95: 10, 9, 9
    Barbell shrugs: 185x12, 225x9, 245x7

All in all I had hoped for better tonight but I wont complain. My goal is to hit every workout as scheduled until I see my mom in October (long story on the mom front for those three or four of you that DONT know, lol. Lets just say its a big deal). So even with what I consider a humble beginning tonight, it is still a beginning and I'll take it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2011
  11. Bigmikey

Well, thats ONE workout in the can... ugh... why do I do this again?

12. liero

liero Valued Member

make sure you add your pullups to the 1000000 pullups thread!

13. Bigmikey

So a follow up. Started the day with no soreness what so ever. Which I found odd. It's starting now but only if I stretch or flex hard. I'm hoping that its just taking a bit to creep in. Usually I'm a 12-24 before I feel solid tenderness and a 24-36 before getting dressed becomes challenging, lol. Lets see what happens. So far though it seems biceps are in the lead for potential soreness! YAY big arms!!! :D

14. Bigmikey

Ok, update: Biceps are SORE!!! Back is tender, Shoulders and traps are unaffected. So I guess I've retained some of my strength if not endurance. Thats a bit of a conundrum but I think I can work around it. It seems for certain bodyparts I need to go to a higher weight and lower reps just to challenge the muscles.

Its really odd trying to break away from a decades old training methodology and goal set. I find myself wanting to revert back to BBer training methods (even though in all truth I haven't strayed all THAT far its still a departure which for me is huge). But being huge yet lacking endurance will benefit me nothing so I have to have my NEW goals firmly in mind.

15. Bigmikey

Today is Friday which means, as much I don't WANT to, its Chest, Triceps and Shoulders.

Ugh... to say my motivation level is low is much like saying the grand canyon is just a blemish or that chicago has "ok" food. But... I made a vow and I'm sticking to it. So, without further adieu, lets get to it...

Flat Bench: 135x20, 185x18, 225x10 (I think this illustrates my goal well enough. I dropped 2 reps between 135 and 185, but dropped 8 going from 185 to 225. I'd like that number to be smaller, say 5 reps or so. Mikey needs endurance), 275x4

Incline Bench (roughly 45 degrees): 135x12, 160x9, 185x7, 205x6

Incline dumbell flies (roughly 5-10 degrees): 40x10, 45x6 (rushed the set. Should have rested a tad longer), In an attempt to keep myself doing flies and not switching to presses mid-set due to fatigue I've dropped weight for the next two sets: 35x7, 30x8 - holy crap my boobs are pumped, lol...

SIDE NOTE: I've long argued that one should be fully recovered before working out again after a rather intense workout. Case in piont my biceps are really getting a pump during this workout so far. After my Tuesday workout I allowed for nearly 3 full days of rest. Had they still been sore/weakened I dont know what my numbers would be like or how effective this workout would be.

Tricep pushdowns (short, straight bar): 60x13, 70x10, 80x6, 60x8
    Behind the head, seated dumbell presses: 45x14, 50x10, 60x9, 70x6

Alternating dumbell front raises: 20x10, 20x10
    Lateral dumbell raises: 20x12, 20x11 using rest/pause method, 20x9 rest/pause, followed immediately by 10x9 limited to upper 30% ROM...

FREAKIN SPENT.

16. Bigmikey

Update: oddly so far my shoulders and triceps are far more sore than my chest though it IS getting a bit tender now. What I find interesting is the hardness. EVen when sore and after so few workouts I find that I have a hardness I didnt not possess before. Very strange. I think it has something to do with the higher-rep workouts I've been doing.

Back in my BBing days I knew a guy who SWORE by higher rep workouts with lighter weights. He looked great, and had enough strength to make himself noteworthy. Oddly he was in his 40's as I am now. Food for thought.... perhaps workouts need to change with age?

17. Bigmikey

FYI, I dont even think anyone's READ this.... its fine to contribute or make comments. In fact I encourage it. If this log goes unnoticed for much longer I doubt I'll contiue it since no one is reading it.

18. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Mikey, I think it is widely recognised that you are one of the guys to turn to when it comes to lifting and lifting programmes.

I would certainly encourage you to continue.

I have a question. I remember reading somewehre that Dorian Gray (was Mr Universe) only actually did one heavy set, rather than building up to the heavy set most of us do.

Is there any value in this and have you tried it?

19. Osu,

keep at it big guy, we're reading ;)

Osu!

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I'm reading it! I care!

Gives Mikey a big hug!

I was trying to respect your request not to clog it up with banter - obviously the balance was wrong!

You should definitely keep posting as I love to see how different styles of training plan work out for different people! :D