AxelB's running, lifting and kicking log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by axelb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Wow, another challenge in terms of finger push-ups? :D Hehe, I won't participate here, though. I may be able to pull one, or... half of one, but... I am probably not the only one struggling with this, but my knuckles tend to bend the other way and it is therefore harsh on them and difficult to keep the fingers in one line (or impossible). On a big karate seminar last summer, sensei Mistry had us try one, then another, always taking away one finger. Ten fingers was the best I could do, and no one in our group was able to match the sensei, who, in his 70s, showed us a push-up only on his thumbs :D

I find such things crazy, and sets of 10 push-ups on fingers approach that notion of craziness, too! :)

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  2. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I don't think I can handle the celibacy either but if nature keeps asserting itself on my folicals then the shaved head is an inevitability; I don't want to end up as the Bobby Charlton of MAP. Maybe I'll decorate my dome like Avatar: the last air bender...

axelb likes this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

hahaha, I'm mostly bald, but thats as far as I'm going. I always do them on padded surface as hard floor makes a big difference.

I used to do them on 2 fingers and 1 thumb (10+ years ago in my 20s), but all fingers is enough for me now :D sometimes I'll switch to knuckle pushups for deeper pushup when my grip feels weak.

Knee Rider likes this.
  4. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Don't know how to tell you this but...Wait till you get older..... both just seem to show up on whether you like it or not :D

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  5. axelb

Wednesday

Planned rest, I felt exceptionally rough in the chest, peak flow was measuring 680, so it should pass.

Thursday 18th January
    Normally Kickboxing, but wife had to work late so I did 30 minutes double end bag work, keeping HR in "zone 3" which is about 60-70%

7x1 minute rounds 30s rest between.
    -First 3 rounds, gentle jab cross variations building up from the following:
    Jab, cross.
    Jab jab cross.
    Jab jab jab.
    Cross jab.
    Cross, jab, cross.
    Cross, cross (Kris kross gonna make it jump :p)
    Continuous for 5 seconds.
    -Next 3 rounds gentle hooks building up.
    Lead rear.
    2x lead.
    Read lead.
    Jab, rear, lead.
    Cross, lead, rear.
    continuous for 5 seconds.

I spent a lot of time taking it slow and focusing on keeping hands coming straight back to guard and chin down.

-Last round, any hand combination. Added a few upper cuts.

Stopped for 2 minutes to stretch legs.

Next section 2 minutes rounds with 45s rest.

-First round working punch combinations in 2-5 hits moving out, and round the bag and back in.
    -Next 2 rounds added round house into hand combinations.
    2 punch to lead or rear round house.
    - round 4 added hook kick into combinations
    -round 5 side kick combinations, progressing to add turning back kick
    -round 6 spinning hook kick from punch setup or round kick. It's quite confined in the garage, so spinning hook was hesitant so I didn't wack my foot on something (again)
    -round 7; any of the above combinations.

HR went over the range to 177 during the kicks (alerts at 163).

Stretch cool down.

It turned out my wife made some arrangements so I could go training (love that lady!!).

Kickboxing 1 hour.

Warm-up with lots of shuttle runs whilst incrementing exercises.
    i.e. run to the end of the hall, 1 squat, run back 2 squat. Keep going for 2 minutes.
    repeat for Push-ups, burpees and sit-ups.

Then light stretching followed by going up and down the hall doing front kick, then side kick.

A few minutes shoulder tag, a warm-up for sparring normally.

Pad work. Front leg Turning kick, to hook kick then back leg axe kick, swap sides repeat.
    After a few minutes adding hook, uppercut, spinning back fist.

Next pad work, inside crescent, outside crescent kick off the same leg.

20 straight punches, 20 knees, 20 downward back fist's, 20 knees.

Finally of work switch between either combo:
    -side kick, turning back kick, spinning hook kick
    -jump turning kick, spinning hook kick, tornado kick. (I suck at that, need more practise).

Remembered hadn't had dinner so no time for extra kick practise, just grabbed food on the way home for me and the wife :D

Knee Rider likes this.
  6. axelb

Friday

It's cold out, but feel well enough for todays run.
    8.6mi 1h27m average pace 10'12" min/mi
    Calories 1,540
    Average HR 157 bpm.
    No pains in my legs (relatively) and chest felt good, so opened the pace up for 9'21" min/mi for the last mile. (avg HR 165)

7. Knee Rider

Go on lad! :D

Travess and axelb like this.
  8. axelb

Monday 22nd Jan

Rested all weekend, all the family have been ill, and I woke feeling rough.

I normally do my workout midday, but waited to see if my chest cleared.

In the afternoon I attempted the tests mentioned in @Travess log;

Before doing it, I thought I should give myself an estimate to see if I gauge near where I think I should:
    Estimated;
    Pushup: est 40 (prior shoulder injury has given ongoing issues with push-ups).
    Sit-ups: est 55
    Lunges: est 70
    2 min Plank: est full 2 mins

So I did a little warm-up, 30 seconds of shadow box, a few Push-ups.

Test;
    Pushups: 52. I'm very pleased with that. I did 33 in a row, then rested a few seconds, did the others in sets of 10-15.

Sit-ups; 56- I was able to pace it well enough to do it continuous, but it was definitely the right pace, burning at the end.

Lunges 77; I probably could have done more, I found it hard to do these at any faster pace, still wouldn't have been able to do much more.

Plank; full 2 minutes. OMG!!!!
    I did this on carpet and my shoes kept slipping back :eek:
    I'm not sure if that made it harder or easier, but I didn't touch the floor and it burnt from about 1 minute with shaking.

A while after I got glute and pec cramp :D

This week is deload "light" week.
    In the evening I did deadlift.

60kgx5, 80x5, 100x5, 110x5, 120x5.

squat high bar:
    20kgx5, 40x5, 50x5, 60x5, 75x5.

A light 2 minutes stretch.

Edit:
    During the test, Average HR 131. Max HR 168bpm (during lunges).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    Nachi, Knee Rider and Travess like this.
  9. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I physically had it in me for more than 48 (my tally) but despite constantly moving, didn't have time for much more. Did you do them on the spot, alternating legs? Or as Lung walking? Or in some other fashion?

Travess

10. Knee Rider

Good job Axelb!

axelb likes this.
  11. axelb

I did the on the spot, I've never really done them that fast, so I found it a bit weird, walking might have been more efficient at that pace.

Travess, Knee Rider and Nachi like this.
  12. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Good job on the push-ups! To do so many in a row... and then still in those sets... I am envious, I admit :D

As for the plank, I have to agree it was the worst part and for me, too, it started to be quite critical after the first minute. Luckily I kind of estimated it would slip, so I made sure to be barefoot and on the floor, out of the carpet :D I even prepared a mat under the elbows XD

It is also cool you were able to estimate and actually guessed quite close to your results in some exercises.

axelb likes this.
  13. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Well, well done mate - This has been a fun little exercise exchange! I look forward to possible future updates, as well as working on my own progression.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

Tuesday

Unplanned rest.
    I woke feeling chesty, my peak flow was fine (680), but this and aching in places that had little exercise I took as a warning sign. The afternoon I feel fine with some soreness, so I did some light slow shadow boxing for 4 minutes.

Wednesday
    Felt rough again today. My better half has a bad chesty cough (possibly infection) so I sounded like Bob Flemming all morning. Peak flow 700. Aches had cleared up, and after midday I felt fine, so I did yesterday's planned deloaded bench.

Bench
    20kgx5, 40x5, 50x5, 60x5, 70x5.

I always feel "meh" about deload workouts, but I know to stick to it.

Knee Rider likes this.
  15. Knee Rider

Stick some shadow work up on here buddy!

axelb likes this.
  16. axelb

I definitely need to. I always remember when I finish and start writing in here :D

I've got an app I use when I do record called coaches eye, you can slow stuff down and draw lines/annotate, I might make use of that also on my next video

17. Xue Sheng

Reading this training log makes me feel old...real old :D

Good work

axelb likes this.
  18. axelb

This week I'm feeling it. When the asthma kicks up I feel like it's added 10 years.

19. axelb

Thursday
    feeling better today and undertrained.
    As it's deload week I refrained from too much. Set a HR limit (163bpm) on my watch.
    2 mins light shadow boxing
    3x 2min Double end bag
    2x 3min shadow boxing.

I stuck with hands only as kicks really get my HR up.
    I even managed to record it :D

I noticed I look down far too often when working footwork. I cut my punches short when I'm punching "light" and dropping my lead hand too often.

I noticed that having a red stripe on my shorts was an easy way to see on the video when I don't engage my hip. At 2'40" in I noticed my HR had hit 186, so had to calm it down.

20. Xue Sheng

Glad you're feeling better....looking much better than I do these days, even when I feel good...I have not done any shadow boxing in years now...... but now that you're on the mend...have you ever tried a 30-30-30 routine on a heavy bag?

I've done it, but I can only manage 2 rounds when I do

axelb and Travess like this.