AxelB's running, lifting and kicking log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by axelb, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Get better soon! :D But your routine in the pool sounds quite... pleasant, still :D

axelb likes this.
  2. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Doing Kata/forms in a pool, especially a crowded pool, is fantastic way to suddenly find yourself plenty of space... :D

Travess

axelb and Nachi like this.
  3. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

not much in the way if scheduled exercise the last few days.

Friday: 45 min swim, it's a small pool,maybe 10m, so not ideal but good enough.
    10min breast stroke,followed by 1 min front crawl and repeated for the duration.
    129 bpm avg hr.
    Went through a few kickboxing drills with my 9 year old.
    5 minute stretching

Saturday: 16 min breast stroke 118 avg HR.
    Sunday: 5 minute shadow boxingstretching
    5 minutes stretching

Tuesday: 21 min swim 119 avg HR.
    3x yang short form
    2x san Chen
    1x 20 punchesstretching
    5 mins stretch

Most days have consisted of 2.5-5mile walk.

I haven't planned any others runs as it's 36c-38c most days.

Travess likes this.
  4. axelb

Wednesday

8 strands of brocade and 5 minutes mediation.

mid morning, I went for a run, opted for a shorter flatter route as it was 37c in Crete (where I was on holiday).
    ran down by the beach, which the path behind beach for 0.25 miles towards the end - running in sand is hard work!!

2miles 22minutes, 155 HR avg bpm, 11min/mi avg pace.

a small break and picked up some things from the bakery them a walk/run back for 1.2 miles (15 minutes)

followed by 10 minute swim,
    5 minute shadow boxing in the pool.
    5 minutes stretching
    2x yang tai chi short form.
    another 1.3 mile brisk walk in the evening; 2x 0.65
    going to the shop and back, down hill on the way my hr avg 99bpm (111 bpm max), coming back with water and food was up hill, bags probably weighed 5-7kg, HR avg 119bpm, 145bpm max.

Thursday

a day by the beach, not much walking and very sedentary day watching/ playing with the kids.

Friday

started the morning with light stretching and 8 strands of brocade

a trip to the nearest city, fair active walking around.
    the afternoon was back at the villa, packing up and swimming in the pool.

2x yang short form
    5 minutes stretching

Saturday

started with 8 strands of brocade, light stretching and finished packing.

weighed the suitcases, and discovered that I gained 4kg whilst on holiday (lots of food and drink).
    traveling the rest of the day.

Sunday

foam roller for 40 minutes, muscles felt pretty good, tightness in the calf, but the usually areas had no sign of tightness.

back to work and the routine tomorrow. I will start with a 50-60% intensity/ volume routine this week to ease back into it.

Travess likes this.
  5. axelb

Monday

started the day with 8 strands of brocade qigong, and 5 minutes meditation.

unplanned rest: first day back at work, so I had 2 weeks of catchup :( did not have time for planned workout.

Tuesday

Deadlifts
    easing back in with a reduced workout:
    60kgx5, 60kgx10, 80kg 4x10, 80kgx12

Lunges superset with calf raise:
    20kgx10
    40kgx10
    40kgx4 (glutes started cramping on lunges so I stopped at 4!)
    20kg x10

Stretching.
    lizard/lunge stretch 3x1 min each side
    side split stretch 4x1 min each side
    wall side split stretch 4minutes.

5 minutes light shadow boxing.

Later in the day I had a break so went through 8 strands of brocade

Wednesday

Bench
    20kgx10, 40kgx10, 50kg 4x10, 50kgx12
    curl
    20kg 3x10

pushups superset with kneeling ab wheel rollout
    5, 5, 6

5 minutes shadow boxing.

later in the day 8 strands of brocade, 2 minutes meditation.

Thursday

no planned workout in the day, woke with a slight sore throat.

Work has been insane busy, but I had 30 min lunch, so I doubled up my lunch break, whilst I waited 15 minutes for lunch to cook I setup the bag:

12 minutes bag work
    After 3 minute ad hoc:
    3x 2'30" round, 30s rest.

It's been stressful in work, so my plan to keep HR under 150bpm did not work once I got going.

TKD/Kickboxing 1 hour:
    I didn't feel my usual motivation to go since the class format seems to be more solo form work;
    Still it was fun once I got there, worked some line work hand drills and combinations.

Paddle work: kick combinations, and kick punch combinations.
    worked some "self defense" drills against a lunge punch in static format.
    Side step/block/punch/into arm lock behind back.

We had no mats, so the next part was award:
    2 more defense against lunge punch:
    first: move outside punch/block/into outer reaping throw.
    Could not commit to the throws as there was no mat, so I worked what I could whilst holding partner.

second: against a lunge hook, block and minor inner reaping throw.
    One of my favorite techniques from my judo days, for someone with long legs, it was easy to reach to the leg without unbalancing.

For the last section we put foot/shin pads on and work conditioning, as a number of students do turning/roundhouse kick with their toes in sparring (and hurt their feet).

Between us, one would kick the other "lightly" turning kick to ribs, side kick to stomach, spinning back kick to stomach, making sure to land the strike with the correct part of the foot.

Whilst others were getting ready, the coach was explaining to me that it happens too often even though the students are told not to kick with their toes; I explained politely that they need to work more drills or sparring drills that work with a partner rather, or pad next to the partner than just paddle which does not have resistance to validate the part of the foot (you can kick full power on a paddle with your toe and won't feel it) or in the air, as their brain will only learn by practice against the correct target, if they are given the opportunity to drill regularly with the correct target, using the correct foot part.
    The students are unable to determine distance and apply the strike, as they rarely have the opportunity to practice gauging their distance with another student.

I've seen this in other places as well, I can stand there in sparring and not get hit, even though the other person is trying to hit, the kicks/punches fall short as they only ever practice hitting the air, or a paddle which is held out away from the pad holder.
    I even feel it myself: front, side, turning kicks I can land in sparring, hook and axe kicks I often fall short/miss judge:
    The only difference it hook and axe I've only ever drilled on a paddle or in the air. Side/front/turning/back kick I have drilled with other people and against kick shield, heavy bag or Thai pads which seem to train the distancing better.

Doing spinning back kick "light" was difficult, so I did the turn/spin, and stopped after the spin so I was essential doing a spin followed by a side kick as I didn't think it would be fair an 85kg guy firing a spinning back kick into a 60/70kg student.

For the others there who are probably 10-20kg lighter than me I told them to kick harder as they were barely me with the kicks, causing them to fall short/miss the target/kick with the toes.

I felt there was some productive drills today.
    They said sparring next week which I cannot make :( it seems that solo forms session always follows a week after sparring, so I mind is already making other plans.
    With a dedicated sparring session on a day/time I cannot make means, and my frequent late arrival due to my kids bedtime routine; I feel less inclined to come to the lesson, so I've already started looking at other clubs for times that I can work with.

At the moment it looks like Muay Thai but the time isn't great, or BJJ which would mean not more striking in class environment. I would love to do both, or MMA again, but I don't have the time to do both, so I am having an internal battle as to what to do next.
    I love all the aspects of the combat and the itch to go back to grappling is great, since I last did grappling there is an abundance of Judo, BJJ and JuJitsu in my area, with many options, but more expensive - but you get what you pay for.

Part of the question to myself, if I go back to grappling, will I be okay to just work on striking in my solo time, shadowboxing, bag work.

Travess likes this.
  6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I feel your pain, I recently shifted from a bjj class to an mma class because I missed the striking and throws/takedowns.

The mma class is at the moment a lot of drilling and isolated sparring drills (lots of new people) but its fun ,

It means less ground sparring but I can ground spar and takedown spar with my girlfriend when we go to the gym

and stand up sparring will come in that class and I do a day a week of full contact padded stick sparring which also includes body boxing sparring as well so that's covered.

But as you get older and have more responsibilities class time shortens and priorities have to be made.

axelb likes this.
  7. axelb

Friday

Rest, mostly due to work commitments.

Managed 10 minutes to do some 8 strands of brocade and standing meditation.

Later in the day 10 minutes with my daughter doing some attack defence donn drills with jab cross.

Saturday

Active rest, time with the family.

Sunday

Mid morning:
    8 strands of brocade, followed by standing meditation.

Evening:
    Bench press;
    20kgx10, 40x10, 50x10, 60kg 4x10, 60kgx12, 40kgx10, 20kgx10.

Curl 20kgx10, 30kgx2, 20kgx10

Ab wheel
    Kneeling Xi
    Standing rollout 3, 4, 3

Pushups 10, 15, 15.

Finished with 15 minute run/ walk over 0.6 miles.

Monday

Morning:
    Breathing exercises, followed by some attack defence drills with my daughter. Jab cross/ defend alternating.

Afternoon:
    Deadlifts.
    20kgx10, 60kgx10, 70kgx10, 80kgx10
    90kg 4x10, 90kgx14 (AMRAP)

My daughter wanted another go on the treadmill, so I controlled the deadlift more as not to startle her with the clang.
    I don't think she has got the hang of the lifting code: don't ask someone questions in the middle of a lift :D

Lunge/ calf raises superset.
    30kg 3x10.

Stretching 10 minutes.

After this a brisk 15 minute walk following kids on scooters.

Travess and Nachi like this.
  8. axelb

Tuesday

Planned a run today, but everything else was in the way.

Managed time in my morning tea break for Yang short Taijiquan form, followed by 8 strands of brocade and 3 minutes standing meditation.

Travess likes this.
  9. axelb

Wednesday

Morning: Taijiquan Yang short form, followed by 8 strands of brocade.
    The birds were very active in the garden, which added a nice relaxing element to the morning session. I had a robin hop up tweeting, so I filled up the robin feeder before finishing with 5 standing meditation.

Afternoon:
    BJJ - 1 hour
    trial session at Roger Gracie JJ gym opened recently.
    Welcoming instructor and team.
    The structure to the class is well laid out, warmup, working sweep drill from butterfly guard, then the same sweep from half guard, progressing to rolling starting from the same position.

I managed not to gas too much, and I felt many moments were I could not figure what technique to go to next as I felt myself trying to "muscle" out of it, which obviously ended with me gassing quicker (typical white belt:oops:) but pulled that mentality in quickly and tried to focus on technical areas to work.
    I made sure to tap early when I a choke was getting on or I couldn't get out of position.

Great class and loads of available times that suit, so I will be going back there and cancelling my TKD/Kickboxing membership.

:cool::)

Nachi and Travess like this.
  10. axelb

Thursday

10 minutes qigong breathing followed by short meditation.

5 minutes working some attack defence drills with my daughter.
    Jab, cross, slip, slip.

Feeling sore today, especially in the neck area (i recall this from the last time i restarted ground work training, from keeping my head up).

my spine has felt extra "crunchy" in general this week, so I may be fighting a virus. My wife also noted general unexpected aching.

Based on this I decided not to do any workout today.

I made sure to up the calorie/ protein intake today and in my protein shake I add some fresh kale from the allotment.
    I put too much in, and organic kale is much stronger tasting, so I decided that it was a bad choice half way through drinking it :confused:

A long weekend planned with no workouts, but much walking expected.

11. axelb

Friday to Monday

Went away for a long weekend in a wooded lodge with the family.
    The 3 hour drive, or any long drive, always gives me shoulder/ back pain.
    Ever since 2 car crashes, I get pain when holding my arms in that position.
    I have a few things to sort it out, but my physiotherapist says that it would never be 100%.

Walked a few miles every day, sometimes at speed to keep up with kids on their scooters.
    I didn't bring any good footwear, so my lower legs got sore most days.

"Swimming" every day also; with kids this usually means standing in a pool next to the kids. This weekend it also meant going round all the water slides.

Tuesday

Back to work, started the day with 8 strands of brocade.

Felt sore in expected places, but also in other places. Daughter and wife both have a bad cold, I expect my body is also fighting a virus.

Wednesday

I aborted my planned workout as I was feeling tired and aching again. Instead of 1 hour workout I put my head down for a "rest" and woke up 90 minutes later!

Clearly my body needed the sleep.

I checked my sleep times and HR were relatively normal, HR was a little higher.

Travess likes this.
  12. axelb

Thursday

Feeling more awake.
    10 minutes stretching.

BJJ
    went to class, they didn't have a Gi today, but I watched the class.
    They worked a cross collar choke from side control, drilled for the first part. Then onto sparring.

It was a busy evening class, so I'll be back again next week when I get my Gi.

Nachi and Travess like this.
  13. Travess

Which I suspect also included lots of stair/step climbing? There is a workout right there! :D
    I often come down with 'something' following a stint at a public pool, but at least you were sensible, and allowed yourself rest over exertion - Something 'we' are not typically very good at doing.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  14. axelb

I probably would have done some sort of workout if my workload wasn't so busy at the moment. It's good to have the distraction. :)
    I'm never good at rest after time away from training.

I checked my daily burn, which was over 3000kcal per day over the weekend, which didn't include pool time. So that has made me a little more at ease with resting.

15. Travess

How do you measure a daily burn accurately? Short of wearing my HR monitor all day, for a straight week, to get a mean result, I wouldn't know where to begin...

Travess

16. axelb

My polar watch has continuous HR monitoring without chest strap.

It's seems more accurate than my previous calculations which went mostly on training activity.

17. Travess

Ah, bought my wife Garmin smartwatch for her last birthday, which does the same - May have to invest in one for myself, as my Forerunner has been temperamental of late, plus it does need the chest strap to work!

Cheers

Travess

axelb likes this.
  18. axelb

I find it useful as you get a baseline which can help identify some stress/ illness which might not have obvious symptoms.

Also good when calories in vs out for general activity :)

19. Travess

Hmmm, have a feeling that it's only a 'good' thing when your on the right side of the in Vs. out 'battle.

Travess

axelb likes this.
  20. axelb

I only got the HR monitor in May, so I'll see how it works out during my autumn/ winter bulk :D

Travess likes this.