axe kick questions

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by shs111, Aug 4, 2012.

1. shs111

shs111 Valued Member

2 questions on this:

I know its more of a tkd technique but I like to throw it a lot in thai sparring.
    1 - Ive been told the head is not the only place to throw this kick, you can hit the shoulder and even the leg? Just want to varify this and see some other peopels opinions

2- also how would someone go on throwing a axe kick first for a distraction to set up another kick or punch? Thought thatd be interesting and unorthodox
    ideas/examples?

Just wanted to see your thoughts. Thanks

2. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

I got hit by an axe kick to the knee once, hopped back but dropped into a fencing stance without thinking and it crunched right in. Could barely walk the next day, so it can be pretty effective.

3. ShadowHawk

ShadowHawk Valued Member

notice the right foot, THIS is the perfect axe kick

[​IMG]

-R.I.P. Andy Hug

4. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

Ballet?

Ballet of doom!

5. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Don't axe kick the knee of people you don't want to injure. You can damage the ligaments that hold the kneecap in place.

6. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Not only did A. Hug execute wicked axe kicks, but he had a great follow up tech aswell.
    A tight left hook that carried plenty of body weight and momentum, a must see!
    shs111, check out some A.Hug fights from K1.

7. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Why are these in the Thai Boxing section?:)

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Because the OP wants to utilise the technique during his Muay Thai sparring.

9. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

1. With something as evil as the axe kick, it doesn't rlly matter where you land the kick, you're going to do damage. I would say always aim for the head/shoulders, but take what you can get.

2. I find that the axe kick is a very heavy kick, and IMO isn't rlly good for a distraction. But if you want to use a combo, then you should probably consider multiple follow-ups based on range (close, mid, long), because your opponent has a lot of way he can react to and evade your axe kick.

Using your momentum properly try to set up so that you hit with the hand opposite to the leg that did the axe kick (right axe, left punch). For kicks, I think you can actually use both legs quite well after an axe kick. I used to do an axe with my right leg, and then follow up with a "hopping round-house" with the right leg as well.

I hope this helps, cheers.

10. liero

liero Valued Member

Boxing ring is small enough that you can get in really good range for an axe. Make sure you bring it down hard enough to go through where ever you kick. If you miss the face it will hurt their shoulder. and if they move far enough back you will either hit their chest on the way down or just pull down the guard when you hit the arms.

Dont use Axe for leg kicks, use a front kick (you guys call it a teep?) as your straight line kick to the leg. But you really mustn't like a person if you do that.

11. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Then he isnt doing Thai Boxing Simon,it wont score,it may cut or KO but why would you want to cut or KO someone in sparring?:)

12. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

He stated in somewhere else that he has a competition in a few weeks. A KO's a nice way to win a match.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  13. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Each to their own I suppose bro but I doubt he does the same Muay Thai that I do,and their is only one real Muay Thai,you wont see Ax Kicks in it either:)

14. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

IDK I've seen axe kicks being used in some MT fights. Not K1 but the actual fights from thailand.

But we never practiced it in our MT classes. I assume though, like me, he learnt it from TKD.

15. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

I doubt you have bro sorry,maybe slapping with the sole of the foot but not coming down with the heel,unless its from a forigner,watch 100 fights from Thailand with Thai vs Thai in the next week and see if you see a Ax kick,post it up and Ill willingly eat my words:)

16. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Actually FC I've seen it too. If I can dig up where I saw it I'll post it.

Granted it's not common and understandably so.

17. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Ok brother post it please and Ill happily say I was wrong:)

18. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

But FC, I'll admit, this thread is probably better suited for TKD, Karate, or Kung Fu. I think he woulda gotten the best advice if he put it in general though.

But maybe he trusts MT guys more for fighting advice :p Can't blame him myself xD

19. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Yes brother I think that was my point,that and the OP thread on circling are in the wrong place I belive:)

20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

There's nothing wrong with learning the Axe Kick, regardless of what art you practice. Just another tool to use if the situation arises regardless of how rarely that may occur.

For the record some of us practice Axe Kicks at our gym. Granted we're more focused on Western Kickboxing than Muay Thai, but our style of Kickboxing is much more Muay Thai oriented than Karate oriented and some of our Thai style fighters practice it aswell, simply to have another kick in their arsenal.

I wouldn't reccommend throwing it properly without full protective equipment when sparring though. That's a sure fire way to injure someone.

You'll also find it a decent tool for attacking guard aswell as just a KO tool.

And you can see Cyrus Washington attempt an Axe Kick at 2.03+ in this video (which is a mix of K1 and Muay Thai bouts) and land one at 2.43+, 255+, etc (quite a few in this video).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqSV8JzvaZU"]Cyrus Washington A.K.A. Black Dynamite Muay thai and K1 highlight - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012