Awesome Martial Art Quotes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by ColdFire, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Apt_Pupil

Apt_Pupil New Member

With due respect, and to quote from the Tao of Jeet Kune Do Bruce Lee has observed on the Qualities of a martial artist

"A powerful athlete is not a strong athlete, but one who can exert his strength quickly. Since power equals force times speed, if the athlete learns to make faster movements he increases his power, even though the contractile pulling strength of his muscles remains unchanged. Thus, a smaller man who can swing faster may hit as hard or as far as the heavier man who swings slowly"

However I'm no expert at Martial arts or Physics...but that was the basis of my post.

2. EvilhomerNZ

EvilhomerNZ Valued Member

Ok, ok, I'm no Yohan fanboy (ok maybe a little). But just to point out the key line from the excerpt above is "but one who can exert his strength quickly". The ability to exert strength quickly is acceleration, not speed. The "force times speed" comment is often read a little to literally and is in fact a reference to the amount of (or speed of) acceleration by an object.

:)

3. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

One of my first instructors alway told me
    "The best defence is not to be there"

4. Apt_Pupil

Apt_Pupil New Member

Ok Ok Case closed. :)

5. Kichanneler

Kichanneler New Member

When you come to think of things in a wide sense, and by taking the Void as a Way, you will see the Way as a Void.

Gotta love the Sword-Saint right?

6. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

BSCLF

One of my Si Hings was from Singapore and was extraordinary at dodging weaving and blocking he was sparing with a fellow student once and did not throw a punch or strike and i said to him how come you did not hit him and he said.

If your oponent cannot hit you they cant win.

7. Combo Breaker

Combo Breaker Valued Member

I think Mr Miyagi said that in Karate Kid 2. When they were down by the fish processing place in his home village. It is true though.:cool:

8. Hyung

Hyung Valued Member

" You can not block, something you can not see." (I believe it was Bruce Lee).

" Once they fall down, they are mine... the ground is my ocean, and I'm a shark, and most people don't even know how to swim. " (I believe it was J. Machado from BJJ).

" It is said that softness can beat hardness. But extreme hardness can beat softness; extreme softness can beat hardness; extreme hardness can beat hardness; and extreme softness can beat softness. " (I believe it was, M. Ueshiba, father of aikido).

Best regards.

9. EvilhomerNZ

EvilhomerNZ Valued Member

"Wow Mr Miyagi! Can you do that?"
    "Don't know Daniel-san, never been attacked by tree"

Best quote.. ever.

10. locust

locust Like a biblical plague

I'll have to check the movie but it wont suprise me if it is, cause my instructor was Shihan Tino Ceberano the technical adviser on the karate kid movies :cool:

11. GSHAMBROOKE

BSCLF

Do you have public liability? and i quote, why you cant sue me when your dead.

12. tophalf69

tophalf69 New Member

The speed at which the fist, foot, knee, elbow etc is travelling at the point of impact is in direct relation to the acceleration from the point which it was thrown and the force it was thrown at. The force at which the shot lands depends on the speed at impact (where acceleration is zero) x by the mass behind the shot. Would you rather be hit by Mike Tyson when he was at his peak or Prince Naseem?!? Naseems shot might have travelled a bit quicker, but not enough to land with anywhere near the same FORCE as Tyson's as he was so much bigger and stronger, it really is a no brainer!!

13. Hyper_Shadow

Hyper_Shadow Valued Member

'Maybe you could arrange a combat related accident.... like falling down a flight of punches?' - From the Xbox game Jade Empire (what a classic, seriously reccomend playing it)

'Boards don't hit back.' Classic Bruce Lee all the way.

'I suppose nothing hurts you?'
    'Only pain.' -Conan the Destroyer, Jehnna and Conan.

'What do you do if someone stabs you in the back and you don't see it coming?'
    'Say ouch, bleed lots and hope you got a phone to call an ambulance.' - Best dojo q&a ever.

14. tophalf69

tophalf69 New Member

AWSOME :hat:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2008
  15. GSHAMBROOKE

BSCLF

If it wasnt against the law to kill people then some of them would already be dead.

16. roninmaster

roninmaster be like water

when life gives you lemons; make lemonade. When life gives you a free to many fantasy based kung-fu movies; go buy a gi die it some strange color make a bunch of internet adds proclaiming to teach a art to deadly for tournaments. Lure a bunch of young kids to sign up with fancy pictures in the window make them spend ten times more money then legit schools and never even consider sparring.

I present to you the formula for a mcdojo:)

17. Riker

Riker New Member

Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.

18. Blast

Blast Valued Member

Live or die trying. - Joeri Moorkens

It takes a long time to understand nothing. - Edward Dahlberg

Teachers open the door, but you must enter by yourself - don't know

Notice that the stiffest tree is most easily cracked, while the bamboo or willow survives by bending with the wind. - Bruce Lee

Iron is full of impurities that weaken it; through the forging fire, it becomes steel and is transformed into a razor-sharp sword. Human beings develop in the same fashion. - Morihei Ueshiba

19. TalkingHalls

TalkingHalls Valued Member

“hell is repetition”

“i will show you fear in a handful of dust”

"Either get busy living or get busy dying"

“"Understand Death? Sure. That was when the monsters got you."
    “A fight is not won by one punch or kick. Either learn to endure or hire a bodyguard.”
    “Blood is just red sweat.”

“I am a lover not a fighter… but I will fight for what I love.”

The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog.

I am a Cobra and these Words are my Venom, and through My Magical Lore,
    I shall capture your Mind, And Spew My Poison into Your Eyes, Then My world
    will become Your world, And You Shall Die

Talk is cheap, pain says so much more

I am undefeated in all of Asia. Of course, I have never fought in any of Asia. Which pretty much guarantees I'm undefeated there

I’m a pacifist, unless you **** me off.

20. Fujow

Fujow Valued Member

"...they will know, as few of us can know of ourselves, what physical and psychic power they possess--of how much, or how little, they are capable." Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

"I hate to say it but it's true-- I only like it better when pain comes." Frank 'The Animal' Fletcher