Average male vs elite female judoka

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Paijo, Apr 24, 2022.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

So when you say you test yourselves what you mean is you spar your students correct?

What level of protective equipment do you use to allow you to hit with enough power to test yourself and know what you are doing is working?

2. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Well, my students and wife wear chest protectors, and my wife and I do not and can not hit the student with full power. I use a kicking pad when testing my students and wife's full power of kicks and strikes. I can discuss all I want on how I know for a fact that my wife can protect herself against a larger man, I also mentioned in a earlier post how my wife dropped a man about my size when he jumped over the bar top, but you seem to be really stuck on size matters and nothing will change your mind. That is fine, you need physical proof, I commend you for that, we all should not believe something until we see or experience it for our self. Just keep in mind, do not think that you cannot beat someone that is larger then you, work on your speed and reflex, then test it out, and see for yourself if you would be able to beat a larger man. I do not remember the name of the two professional boxers, but there was a case of a smaller boxer drastically beating a 7 foot boxer, and there are many other cases that are the same.

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

So you don't actually test your theory that speed and reflexes are more important than power (as you don't hit with full power or use the correct equipment to spar properly with power shots) but you know it's true?

Unless you are using gloves and head protection and occasionally allowing full power shots you really can't know anything for certain, certainly not enough to be lecturing to others here about what the most important things are for fighting

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Women Vs man under vale Tudo rules.

The same women Vs Ronda rousey:
    (Who was an elite judo athlete)

5. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Lol, ok, I admit, I have only been teaching for 41 years, that is not enough time for me to truly learn how to test my theory lol. Like I said, you can argue and debate all you want, and do not waste your time testing my theory, just follow your belief with limited experience. Lets just end this with we both disagree, I'll stick with my 41 years of experience and you stick with yours.

6. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You act like no one else here has been doing this stuff for multiple decades as well

Limited experience from the guy who only trains with his wife and probably two other people

7. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Lol, really, I in no way indicate that to anyone else but you, I have to keep making the exact same point to you, but you never once stated exactly I was wrong to the statement that if a person has the faster speed and reflexes, that person is more likely to win. Well, tell me and everyone else on your long time experience on how a bigger man that cannot strike the smaller person or block the smaller person, how he will win? If you can not answer that, why are you still arguing? Know yes, I am speaking in general, there is the circumstances if the bigger man can get a punch in, but that goes for the smaller person as well, the main point is that faster speed and reflexes is a very strong determining factor. So please, stop arguing a logical point if you can not prove it is not logical, and stop being disrespectful "Limited experience from the guy who only trains with his wife and probably two other people", that was a very childish comment, not worthy of an MA. I was never disrespectful to you before.

8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Speed is often used in class to hide a lack of skill.

I have fast hands, but always tell my students not to be fooled by speed.

In addition there are different types of speed, such as mental speed, initiation speed, alteration speed and so on.

Further to that there is linear speed. You may be fast out of the blocks, but fade towards the end.

In terms of "winning", what are you looking to win?

If it's a sparring match then what are to conditions?

I don't do loads of sparring, but focus more on drilling under pressure.

Last week I had my guys spar for the entire session and finished with a round of full contact.

I was a massive eye opener for them.

Next time they drill they'll do so through a different set of eyes.

If they were just looking to point score their speed may have seen them through, but an uppercut that gives you whiplash tends to change things somewhat.

9. Graywalker

Graywalker New Member

Unfortunately you are simply demonstrably wrong. Some such as Tyson...was not fast compared to other boxers. The knee jerk reaction of reflex is just that...and easily manipulated in a fight. We see this with the action of flinching.

Speed and flexibility in my opinion are not the two most important. Hitting a thousand times, with no power, makes speed irrelevant when it comes to combat.

10. icefield

icefield Valued Member

You are extremely disrespectful the fact you can't see it doesn't make it any better.

11. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Lol I like your attempt to disrespect me by saying speed hides a lack of skill. That is very surprising coming from a person that says he teaches, that's like saying do not bother with being fast at your strikes or block's. My discussion clearly states all kinds of speed, hopefully, a student learns this when first training. As far as winning, lol, I would think that would entail sparring or fighting, if you can not win in sparring, how are you going to win in a actual fight lol.

12. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

I see clearly that if a person disrespects me, I will treat the person in the same. I see you do not put your age or anything else about you, clearly for good reason.

13. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

I in no way said anything about hitting a thousand times, I also am not talking about what you consider the knee jerk, and flinching is only a partial movement. I am speaking of reflexes that occur instinctually, without thought. You can add comparison to your point as I can to my point, this can be a never ending debate, if you disagree or do not see my point, that is fine.

14. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Speed is an attribute, as is timing, balance, footwork, strength, suppleness, cadence, tempo and so on.

Leave one out and it'll be exposed when under pressure.

Graywalker likes this.
  15. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

I never said to leave anything out, where exactly do you see I was implying that?

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Why does age have to do with anything?

You have been in the arts for decades but are coming out with the same reasoning and excuses newbies come out with who train arts who don't have hard sparring.

Your only real back up to your points when called out on them being wrong is I've been doing it for decades you have limited experience compared to me, so on and so on.

Experience doesn't count when it's limited in scope and myopic in outlook

17. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

Boy, you just love to argue, don't you lol. I

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

If you're going to try and narrow it down to the two most important "factors" in a fight then imho its more likely to be wrestling and "bottle".
    The best wrestler can dictate where the fight takes place (keep it standing with takedown defence, clinch or on the floor with a takedown) and "bottle" (intent, determination, gameness, mindset, etc) underpins everything. When bottle runs out skill, reflexes, speed, etc won't amount to much.

19. Yanli

Yanli Banned Banned

That is a subject of all its own lol, I am not speaking of any specific styles or forms, UI am speaking in general fighting.

20. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Sorry I should bow down to your experience, limited as it is lol