Authentic Muay Thai classes in London?

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by SoKKlab, Jun 30, 2003.

1. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Can I get some referrals of good Muay Thai classes in Central London from you lovely people?

Preferably Orgs that are teaching from a Martial Art Point of view (Muay Boran) rather than a Ring Rules POV.

Any suggestions? As I am out in the Martial Wilderness at the moment and would like to be brought back in. Preferably ones that don't cost an arm or a leg either...your opinions please.

2. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

I too have been investigating this possibility of late and drawn a blank in London so far. I'm too old to consider a career as a ring fightert but would love to one day be able to teach Muay Thai or the more traditional elements of Thai martial arts. I am especially inquisitive about Krabi Krabong.

As far as I have been able to establish so far the only place to train in these more traditional elements of Muay Thai is under Kru Tony Moore in Manchester.

Sitsiam Camp UK

I haven't yet tried to contact him as I don't want to come across as simply wanting to add a bit of Thai into my blend but unfortunately due to the distance to Manchester it seems I will be unable to do anything else at this point.

I'm hoping that Kru Moore will be demo'ing somewhere near London in the future and I will be able to approach him then. Does anybody here train with him or know of him. Any opinions - I believe he's the highest graded teacher of Krabi Krabong outside of Thailand?

3. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

I just wanted to point out that I am not saying that anywhere I have foiund in London does not teach "Authentic" Muay Thai. There are some fantastic camps in London especially if you want to train as a ring fighter. However I have not yet located anywhere teaching the the non-sport based elements of Thai MA's.

4. SoKKlab

Dread Lev,
    I too no longer wish to practice Ring Rules Muay Thai, as it only a part of Muay Thai. Most organisations do not seem to understand that the Majority of People practising Muay Thai are doing it for Self Protection and not Sport. I did do it for Sport when I was younger, but now my needs are different.

I was training with one commercial Org in London, but they just wanted to sell me their shorts and Vests.

Manchester is seemingly the best place for Muay Thai in the UK. Master Woody teaches there on Portland street (Above his Thai restaurant), Master Sken's Simta Org is in Stockport, His Brother Master A teaches in the North of the City Centre, as well as Tony Moores Sitsiam. Also Ronny Green teaches at the Salah Centre (Think that's correct), plus others etc etc.

There are some IMTF classes in West london, Barons Ct if that is any good to you. They are teaching the entire Muay Boran syllabus.

Dee Force teach in Bermondsey SE1 at the Columbo Road Sports Centre, but I know very little about them. Obviously there are all the bigger Commercial organisations like Vipers, Cobra, Ko etc.

Sitsiam has some affiliated camps out in West West London (Uxbridge, Sutton etc), don't know what they are like though, so can't give an opinion.

Let me know if you find anything decent and how you get on with your hunt. Good Luck.

5. dredleviathan

dredleviathan New Member

SoKKlab,

Looks like you've had abit more luck than I have in finding something in London. Its funny how in a place seemingly offering so much variety so many turn out to be similar.

Manchester does most definitely look like the palce to train and whilst I do spend some time there in business I can't see it becoming a regular training option.

However I would be grateful to hear more about the IMTF place in Baron's Court and the Sitsiam affiliates near London. Do you have any details?

I I find anything else myself I'll be sure to let you know.

Cheers,

Dred

6. SoKKlab

Yeah no Problem,
    Don't know whether it's ethical to post Instructors Mobile Numbers on this board and I apologise if it's not the Done thing, but the IMTF instructor for London is Danny Kapoor Mob No is 0777 933 9069 apparently teaching at Energise Barons Ct on Saturday, he has a few other classes in West London. He seemed like a nice fella.

The Sitsiam affiliated camps are: Nash Keshwala (Hayes Middx) Raja Naresuan Camp 078 999 20 389 He was also a friendly down to earth guy.

Master Boonckun (Sutton area) Jakpong Camp 01372 747 695

Like I say I don't not know what these camps are like, but I was given these last two numbers by Sitsiam about two years ago. They're all too far away from me to feasibly be able to train there (Sob Sob), as I am based in WC1 and can only train Evenings.

London is very badly served for Martial Arts, but then It's so expensive, you can't blame most martial Arts teachers for not bothering to teach here. I just hope taht you don't end up paying a lot of money to shine someones pads with your shins...Good Luck with your training.

7. pamplonica

pamplonica New Member

8. SoKKlab

Thanks Pamplonica, I'll check it out.

9. Swoop

Swoop Valued Member

I don't know the name of the club or instructor but I found a place in wembley I plan on checking out. The details are:

Vale Farm Sports Centre
    Watford Road
    North Wembley
    Adult class on Thur 7 - 8.30.

10. SoKKlab

Yeah, Thanks Swoop.
    I remember seeing their details previously-looked okay, seemed to have a good club going there.

There's also Red Dragon Muay Thai in Enfield area, if that's any use to anyone. They again seem legit and seem to have a good club going up there.

Enfield, Wembley etc are miles away from me (I'm in WC1), so not really an option, i'm afraid, just too much of a slog to get to these places, after work etc.

Anybody got any more to post? Keep 'em coming. Thanks.

11. demwunz

demwunz New Member

I used to go to Jackapong camp based in Peckham Rye lane, teacher is Kru Boony and he teaches in LA gym Peckham Rye lane, tuesday 7.00-8.30 thursday 6.30-8.00. And if you're desperate you can go to cobra gym in Queen mothers sports centre near victoria station, teacher there is Tim Izli, but I dont like that class as there isnt enough technique from what I remember (i went around 4 years back) , its mainly about being really fit, and the class is very cramped, but its close enough i guess.

12. Suavey

Suavey New Member