Attention Deficit Disorder in the Dojang

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by Melanie, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

by

Diana H. Dunlap, Ph.D

The title and following article are the property of Diana Dunlap. Article and images can be found at :http://hometown.aol.com/twdiii/webpage/ADDarticle/ADDArticle.htm

Over the last decade, there has been a tremendous amount of research dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD). Children diagnosed with ADD tend to have difficulty giving or sustaining attention. They frequently appear unorganized, and may have difficulty following instructions or directions. Often, these children tend to lose items related to task completion and tend to be forgetful. Some children with the disorder may also display hyperactive and/or impulsive behavior. They squirm or become fidgety, interrupt others, talk excessively, engage in a high level of motor activity and have difficulty in turn-taking activities. Many children with ADD experience difficulty building and maintaining positive peer relationships.

Increasingly, more and more professionals engaged in the treatment of children diagnosed with ADD or ADHD are recommending that these children become involved in a martial arts program. For many children with Attention Deficit Disorder, the dojang provides ideal place to increase attention span, decrease distraction, develop motor and behavioral control, improve self-esteem, and build positive peer relationships. As a Certified School Psychologist, I have frequently recommended taekwondo instruction for ADD children. As a taekwondo instructor, I have seen ADD children make tremendous strides in their ability to sustain attention and control behavior. Finally, as the mother of an ADD child, I have seen the impact that taekwondo instruction can have on attentional and behavioral concerns on the home front.

Parents of ADD children should carefully select a taekwondo school. The instructors at the school should have some familiarity with Attention Deficit Disorder as well as some knowledge of strategies for working with these students. Instructors should constantly be mindful of the needs of each individual student and insure that these needs are addressed in the activities that are provided. A class size of ten to twelve beginners is certainly preferable to one of thirty to forty beginners. It is also a positive sign if assistant instructors or trainees are available to provide extra on-to-one assistance where needed. Parents should seek instructors that provide discipline primarily by shaping behavior through positive reinforcement. This is not to say that the instructor should never impose consequences such as "push-ups" or verbal correction but when correction is provided any positive effort at improvement should be recognized. Consistency is another key component in providing good taekwondo instruction to ADD students. ADD students tend to respond better when they know what to expect and when to expect it.

There are several things that parents can do to help their ADD child to have a positive experience in the dojang. First of all, it is important that your child attend class on a regular basis. Do not punish your child by withholding taekwondo classes. I have frequently heard parents make comments such as "if you get another bad behavior grade, you won't be able to go to taekwondo." Since one of the primary purposes of a taekwondo class for children should be to promote good discipline and respect, it makes no sense to use this as a punishment. Secondly, be consistent in developing your child's class schedule. Choosing to attend class at the same times on the same and days each week establishes a habit of attendance. On class days, rather than ask your child if he/she would like to go to class, announce that it is time to get ready for class. On school days, you would not ask your child if he/she wanted to go to school, but rather you would facilitate their getting ready for school. Assist your child in maintaining uniforms and equipment. It helps to keep an extra clean uniform on hand, and to buy spare mouthpieces in advance. Have a consistent place for gear storage, and have your child double check for all pieces of gear prior to leaving for class and from class. Be supportive of your child's instructor, and do not be afraid to ask for suggestions for assistance with discipline at appropriate times. Most instructors will be glad to set up an appointment with you to address any special concerns you may have pertaining to your child. Praise your child for accomplishments and provide encouragement when they experience difficulty. In whatever way you can, help to make taekwondo a positive experience in your child's life.

At its highest and best, taekwondo not only improves the physical skills of the practitioner but, also, elevates both the mind and the spirit. Drills provided can be a powerful tool in helping ADD students learn to focus their minds on a task and increase their attention span.

This is such a good article I just had to bring it here.

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Very informative article Mel ... thanks!

I'm wondering if TKD happens to be the most popular of the martial arts for children with ADD and why?

3. Lord Spooky

Lord Spooky Banned Banned

I think there's a good chance it is!

Going on my limited understanding of ADD and my even more limited understanding of what goes on in a TKD class!:

Someone with ADD benefits from being stimulated the more you give them the calmer they get, well to a degree I know it’s probably simplifying things, they don’t get the same level of arousal from things that people without ADD do and so they compensate, this is usually seen in children as them being naughty or manifesting itself as ADHD????

Also ADD falls under the Autistic Spectrum and people under this banner usually benefit from a structured routine. Now I would imagine that in a TKD class there is a lot of fun stuff going on for a kid and it’s presented in a structured manner, for the most part they will know what’s expected of them and when. There are set goals to achieve in the form of regular grading and as stated in the article drills/kata again provide a structured exercise for the child and I would think that as it’s a physical task it increases the arousal level within the body.

TKD is pretty popular too so I would think that it’s readily available in most areas?

Anyways just my thoughts on it! People feel free to correct me if I wrong on anything.

:Angel: