Attack patterns

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by tai-gip, Sep 23, 2003.

1. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Do you train a specific sequence of combinations to a prescrideb attack or do you develope your strategy as it comes along and the fight progresses ... does your body know where to be and what to do or do you have to tell it to move ?

2. thiaboxr2

thiaboxr2 New Member

I train both ways.

In class its preset combinations for attack and defense scenarios. When training with friends at the locol gym, Its all free flowing sparring using what works. Its through the sparring at moderate speed with light to moderate contact that i find out what works for me.
    For the most part, my strategy is ever changing for the situation at hand. But from time to time I do find myself thinking of what I can do, what I could have done, and why did I not do that?

Strategy in class is preset for the most part when it comes down to doing the prescribed drills for attack and defense. When the sparring starts, my strategy changes for each person; I might take the defensive position and wait for the opening or go on the offense right away.. Being the only left hander in class is already developing my sparring skills against all the righthanders I have to work with.

3. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

Exactly the same for me usually.

4. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

I expect we all train similar ways tai-gip...train for the unexpected too!

5. 47Ronin

47Ronin New Member

yep she's right.

6. Bon

Bon Banned Banned

Train specific combos generally,

try to break the rythym up though, e.g do a 1234, maybe a 12,34 or a 123,4, etc.

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

I tend to avoid specific combinations like the plague, much prefer just reacting to things as they come and working off whatever seems appropriate at the time. Seen too many people using specific combinations twice and getting caught on the second one.

8. Tireces

Tireces New Member

I just work combinations as they are relevant and help me understand economy of motion. For example, a combination of hook to cross or cross to hook in any number of repetitions is an extremely powerful combination. One attack paves the way for the other and gives it more room for strength because of the way it aligns your body. Best not to start off with that, but it is good to understand how and why it is powerful. Meanwhile, a backfist to a cross is more of a quick one, since the backfist and the cross come off very similar motions.

9. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Ok for clarification with regard to specific combinations you start with maybe say three strikes then you have five different patterns on this .. then you increase both in number and cross them weaving from one to the other so that no matter how someone reacts to you you follow with a combo just weaving into the next pattern ala wooden dummy or forms/kata etc

10. oneil357

oneil357 New Member

i would have to say i react to the situation as it unfolds, when i first started fighting i would always wait and try to set my opponent up for combos and that works well for unskilled opponents but the first time i fought someone with actual skill i decided never again! but if it works for you then go with it

11. Xia

Xia Dragon of Heaven

I wouldn't use attack patterns, and be fluent.

12. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

Dont you think every move you make will follow a pattern ?

13. Kenpo_Chris

Kenpo_Chris New Member

I try never to attack in patterns. It' makes you predictable and will lead to defeat against a skilled fighter. As far as pre-set sparring combos, I have a few that I work, mainly taken from techniques in my system. However, I don't use the same attack twice. What I try to use more are probes. A kick or punch to some part of my opponent. We are all creatures of routine. Usually, a person will block a particular punch or kick the same way. Send out a probe and remember what happened. Then some 3-8 strikes later move in with a combanation building on that weakness that the opponent displays. Basically, mirror to that person which you are sparring. Be maluable and listen to their every move.

14. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

that is the point chris ...but you want to continue moving so you practice a variety of patterns so when the situation changes so does your attack pattern you want the body to keep moving chances are you work a pattern anyway the people who train with you will notice.. you need to be able to change this to anything else but have the pattern/combo there just waiting to be used/evolved

15. snake_vs_crane

snake_vs_crane Valued Member

i think that styles are a base to improvise on, if you try to use your kung fu form in a fight then you will be in trouble, but if you use ideas and techniques from the form and adapt them to the current situation you will be able to use them effectively. Dont get bogged down in form and patterns, they are a base to work from, nothing more.

16. tai-gip

tai-gip New Member

kinda follows on from patterns hey ?

17. villarrg

villarrg New Member

defense is the best offense. why should you attack if you're not being attacked? Defend while attacking, this will catch them by surprise.

18. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

I actuall yuse this for sparring though. Throw the same set of techniques lulling into false sense of security then change the last one or the first one to open them up!

19. sholo86

sholo86 Teoul Moon Kung Fu

We have "fighting sequences" that we practice in class.

But during sparring sessions, my master wants me to try my own combinations of techniques and see if they are effective or not.

I guess you can say I tend to develop a certain way of fighting, a pattern, a combination of techniques I would want to try first during a fight, to get the feel of the opponent. Then, everything else becomes dependent on the situation during the fight, and you get out of your patterns and improvise your attack/defense.