Attack First in a Comp. or Not?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by #1 Stutta, Nov 28, 2003.

1. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

I was thinking today (finally) and I thought about speed.

If you were really fast or faster than your opponent in a competition, should you attack first and get the points or should you wait for him/her to attack and just block his/her attempts and then get points? Any thoughts on this would be great.

2. pocketwarrior

pocketwarrior New Member

Usually when i fight in comps i try to counter strike although this does depend on how quick the other guy is. If the other guy is a lot slower than me and i can block/evade without being forced to strike to keep them away, then i usually just watch and get the feel of them before throwing lot's of techniques.

3. quartermaster

quartermaster Cat-like, stretchy guy

i havent been to a comp but logic to me dictates that i stike first, last and only.
    but i have never been in a comp, or i might add, in a serious fight

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

there was a poll in here about what type of fighter you are. so it depends on the fighter, i guess. someone tends to strike first, someone prefers to counter-attack....

but if u have a slow opponent and not that determined, and u wait all the time for him to make a move, u both might get a penalty point for being passive. so, why would u risk getting it? and why would u wait all the time when u can strike and maybe KO him with only one combination of yours?

you have to adapt to the situation. it's ok to let's say to wait a little bit at the beginning of the fight to see what your opponent is like, but after realising that your opponent isn't better than you, i'd say go ahead and finish the fight.

but...when u see that your opponent is weaker, don't experiment, don't make kicks or combinations that u didn't practice at training sessions. go for the ones u r comfortable with and sure of scoring.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Watch the black belt competitions, you'll see that most of the time they are counter strikers. It is easier to respond than to attack, UNLESS you are very fast. Watch someone you admire in your school or area spar, and see how they fight.

6. #1 Stutta

#1 Stutta The New Boot

This happened once when I was younger. It wsn't at a comp. but it was in my class. I was sparring with my partner and he was a lot slower than me. I used to like to counter-strike (still do), but I've been thinking that maybe I should have attacked first.

7. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

if both of the fighters are counter strikers, what kind of fight will it be? there has to be someone who'll strike first. when u see ur chance, go for it.

but, u can also trick ur opponent into striking, and then u can counter attack.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2003
  8. Brother John

Brother John New Member

Such cometitions have been called "speed-tag" and it's not too far off either.
    Get there first.
    You don't get bonus points for letting them set the stage.
    Set the stage yourself, comand the stage....
    leave with the trophy.

Your Bro.
    John