At 44...stopped training 3 years ago. Too old to begin again?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by bigwoklun, Mar 15, 2013.

1. bigwoklun

bigwoklun Valued Member

I am 44, about 13 stone and 5ft 5.
    I stopped training over three years ago, but would like to begin again.
    Any tips or advice? Is age an issue to begin again?
    Cheers

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

44 certainly isn't to late to start again, you just need realistic goals.

When I gave up training and became an out of shape dad I wanted to train, but didn't like the idea of a tough class.

I joined an eskrima class and slowly got the bug back. I joined the Kung Fu class, got back into shape and not teach my own class.

Find something you enjoy, be realistic and take each day as it comes.

Keep hydrated, get plenty of sleep and most of all - have fun.

3. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Age shouldn't be an issue. I started training BJJ when I was 52 and trained until I was 58. I finally hit the point where the knees and back wouldn't take it any more. I still keep in shape and actually starting to get the bug again. There is an eskrima school not to far from where I live and I may give that a shot.

4. ned

ned Valued Member

Im 45 and enjoy my training more and more as i get older(now my kids train with me!)
    What style did you do before and why"d you stop?

5. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

no you're not too old. go train.

6. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I'm 45 and really only started training again seriously 14 months ago, so I can understand where you are coming from.

What was helpful to me was to find a school where there are some other people around my age, not just kids or 20 somethings. Also, I have a friend my own age that trains there. Helps to not feel like "the weird old dude".

Good luck to you!

7. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

^ yes, training in a student club can be quite hard going

i'll be 44 this year. among the positives i think a lot more about what i'm doing, not necessarily just accept what teachers say as how and what to do, we all have different body types, strengths, weaknesses, i know more about physiology and S&C; negatives it takes longer to recover from bruises and injuries so have to watch how it goes and sometimes take more time off that when i was younger, i sometimes struggle with oh i used to be able to do 'x' pushups, kick so high, etc

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Always remember, if you don't use it, you will lose it.

9. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

Hello

I'd say your first job is to suss out your 'Big Enough Reason Why'

Why do you want to train?

For what purpose do you want to start training again?

This helps a lot. If you're clear as to why you're doing what you're doing you'll not question your motivation when you must push yourself a bit.

What do you want to achieve from your training?

Suss out a target to aim for in terms of your first month, third month, six month etc fitness and general ability.

Practice each day. But at first only do 10, 15 minutes at a time outside of class. Build your fitness back up piece by piece.

Be honest with yourself as to what your weaknesses are:

In terms of techniques, posture, strength, speed etc.

At first you'll probably feel they're 'everything'....

Research drills etc you can practice outside of class that'll help you get better at what you're worst at.

Etc.

Most importantly enjoy what you're doing. And refuse to compare yourself to anybody else in terms of age, ability etc.

Good Luck.

10. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

You're never too old to start training. Keep your goals realistic. Start slow. Stretch a lot.....a whole lot.

11. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

You should absolutely go for it. Just remind yourself that there has been a break in your training and don't try to dive in as if your last training session was yesterday.

12. querist

querist MAP Resident Linguist?

Absolutely not! I started training again at 45. Naturally, you may want to talk to your doctor first to be sure it's safe for you to engage in strenuous activity.

Also, depending on your current health status you may wish to consider carefully the art you study. I've had back surgery, so that right there ruled out several arts. I've settled on Wing Chun, but your interests and needs may be quite different.

13. fatcat

fatcat Valued Member

I am 45 and have been training for a couple of years now. My biggest problem is flexibility and sometimes motivation. I do get a bit sick of youngsters telling me what I should be able to do.
    What gives me heart is that there are a lot of us about. That and being realistic.

14. Kuniku

Kuniku The Hairy Jujutsuka

you're never to old, we've got 2 guys floating around the 65 mark (both retiring this year or next) who still train weekly (admittedly they're a 3rd and 4th dan already) and we had a 86 year old training with us until recently, 44 is still plenty young enough to train!

just take it easy and don't push yourself further than you can handle =)

15. Princess Haru

^ to be fair i'm not sure you're qualified to give a perspective on this. one of my teachers (3rd dan) is around the same age as me - mid 40s - and he is sometimes frustrated that techniques he could do when younger in randori just don't work anymore against younger, fitter, lower grade partners. of course most people will get something out of training, some very competitive might not (depending on the MA practiced). i could do one armed pushups when i was 20, can't do them now in spite of more strength related training than i've ever done in my life. there are limits i probably didnt realise when i was younger, and among the things i would tell a younger version of myself who sometimes had to teach karate classes you should make allowances and not bully people of mixed physical and technical ability into a one size fits all. to be fair this has been the model in most of the MA i've tried over 30 years.

16. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I hope I'm crystal clear when I say that any member of MAP is qualified to give a perspective on this.

17. Princess Haru

it might be bro (or sis) science but i think subjective experience counts for more in this case, training in your 40s is quite a different experience to your 20s and you can't know how much age will limit until you've been there. i stand by everything i said

18. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

None of which means that a younger poster has nothing to say on the matter. He's observed people much older than 44 training happily. The OP asked whether it was too late. The answer is clearly no. The question was not "will your experience be different than it would have been in your 20s?"

I'm in my 40s as well, Haru. Believe me, I know it's different. Nobody contended otherwise.

19. Lad_Gorg

Lad_Gorg Valued Member

I did my black belt exam with a 75 year old man (I believe it was something on his bucket list). He was awesome, I remember he did a flying side kick for the breaking exam, it was flawless. I think you shouldn't have much trouble mate ;)

20. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

When I first started training in eskrima, one of my classmates was a woman in her 80s. She decided to take up ballroom dancing, stickfighting, and a few other things.

Clearly, she didn't perform at the level that younger eskrimadors did. Equally clearly, she was a pretty awesome 80-year-old.