Asthma vs Martial Arts

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Oldi, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Oldi

Oldi Valued Member

I post this mainly as inspiration for fellow asthma sufferers who might be thinking about taking up martial arts. This week I had my first asthma check up since starting thai boxing and FMA 6 months ago. I'm training roughly 4 hours per week, so I'm not exactly pro. The nurse and I were blown away by the changes in that 6 month period. Not only am I 22lbs lighter, BMI down from 25.4 to 22.6, but my peak lung flow (basically lung functionality) has gone from 620 (30 below the non-asthmatic average) to 690, the first time in my life I've registered above average lung function and the strongest recording the nurse could ever remember seeing. So score one for anaerobic exercise in beating asthma.

But contact sports are a double edged sword! Immediately following my check-up the GP sent me off to get my hand x-rayed as he suspects I've fractured my thumb in sparring. I'm hoping he's right, because if it's a sprain he wants to give me steroid injections in the thumb joint, which sounds less than fun! That's my fault though for not wrapping my hands properly. The respiratory benefits vastly outweigh any little injury.

2. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

Awesome. I was confirmed asthmatic 6yrs ago. I am still on my first inhaler.

3. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

But I am on my xxxxxxth xray.

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Nice!

Also, if you have not tried, look into breathing re-training methods like Buteyko. I have heard very good results.

If that is the correct spelling!

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Thanks for this post, I found it very interesting.

I took my peak flow at random yesterday morning and was quite happy with the value of 450 until I saw your readings! :) I thought my peak flow was normal!

6. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Heck you youngsters.... Any breathing is good breathing in my book. :) :) :)

Seriously, Congrats Oldi.

7. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

Diagnosed with asthma at 21 im now 36. never not been able to train or compete thru the condition. keep yourself fit and its impact is minimal.